How much you need to tweak to get your sounds match?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deepndark

19 Sep 2018

I don't know what happened to my way to work, but I feel like matching sounds is a very big work. All the samples, and instruments - they all require a lot of mixing and even after all that work, it's a compromise result. You?

AS7RO

19 Sep 2018

You mean trying to replicate sounds for song cover/remake purposes?

If so, it will never be the same too many unknown variables.

You can always get very close or decently close if you know what you are doing. The question is about how much time do you want to invest to replicate something, in my opinion.
Why are you reading this?

deepndark

19 Sep 2018

AS7RO wrote:
19 Sep 2018
You mean trying to replicate sounds for song cover/remake purposes?

If so, it will never be the same too many unknown variables.

You can always get very close or decently close if you know what you are doing. The question is about how much time do you want to invest to replicate something, in my opinion.
I never felt this when I used Record + Reason, that's the only era when I got my music perfect soundwise.
By the way: Why did all the images got a shadow on the nets?

deepndark

19 Sep 2018

When I load my old R + R songs into Reason 10 and run them via my famous Dopetank mastering combi I get a superior sound. But all the new projects I start don't. My memory of R + R songs were that all the sounds matched almost all the time while now they all differ relatively so much. I arrow drumhits down and 98% of the sounds are all 'wrong'. By matching I meant, how all the sounds you add sound good together.

deepndark

19 Sep 2018

My audio interface drivers also switch the samplerates by their own. Weird. Not sure about anything yet though. But I'm trying to skip this all troubleshooting and try to solve my problems. Lets move further.

Loque

20 Sep 2018

Finding the right sounds at exactly this special moment is hard or luck. Browsing trillions of patches or creating that perfect patch gets you out of the flow. Maybe you just have too many choices. That's why sound tagging is important.

I often try to get quickly the nearest fitting sound. If the flow is over later, i try different sounds or create what I want. Times without a flow are perfect for more technical stuff like this.
Reason12, Win10

antic604

20 Sep 2018

Pretty sure it's a perception thing - you're now older, more mature and more experienced, so your expectation as to the quality of sounds and the mix is much higher and you know better what things to change to get there (or at least you think you do). Also, listening to your old music it's always with a "pink glasses" - to you they sound better than they would to anybody else, because you know them by heart, every sound, they become "classics" and even the bad things get that positive flavour.

4filegate

20 Sep 2018

It’s not reproducing the data set, right? Artists need inspiration for their work, they're not static.

deepndark

20 Sep 2018

I think that Reason has changed too quickly and I am a bit lost sometimes because of that. I should just have an overview of what my tracks call me to do. Before REs it was easy like you said. Big roster of choices is a two-sided thing, nice to have em but it can also be timeconsuming to find something that fits. But I'd say that I should Do and not think too much. :)

Ahornberg

20 Sep 2018

It's not about the individual sounds, it also depends on how they interact together.
Which sound covers which frequency range and covers which other sound?

deepndark

20 Sep 2018

4filegate wrote:
20 Sep 2018
It’s not reproducing the data set, right? Artists need inspiration for their work, they're not static.
It has got too pre-prepared by me and forced. This means I write shit music mostly then. Lyrics are usually the hardest to write. But i think i might get myself rolling again. :)

deepndark

20 Sep 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
20 Sep 2018
It's not about the individual sounds, it also depends on how they interact together.
This is the main-issue for me too. How to mix and make all the colors work/sound good together. :)

Ahornberg

20 Sep 2018

deepndark wrote:
20 Sep 2018
Ahornberg wrote:
20 Sep 2018
This is the main-issue for me too. How to mix and make all the colors work/sound good together. :)
My way is to cut/soften away frequencies that make troubles.
To prevent myself from getting too surgically, I firstly use the EQ in the Reason mixer.

4filegate

20 Sep 2018

A gate can also be used to remove or reduce excessive amounts.

sublunar

20 Sep 2018

deepndark wrote:
19 Sep 2018
I don't know what happened to my way to work, but I feel like matching sounds is a very big work. All the samples, and instruments - they all require a lot of mixing and even after all that work, it's a compromise result. You?
huh?
deepndark wrote:
19 Sep 2018
By the way: Why did all the images got a shadow on the nets?
What?

• Information