10.2 will be paid update?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Rason

18 Sep 2018

Bcs the props website says buy 10 now and get 10.2 for free. They originally said all updates to 10 would be free till the end of the year. Or is it just marketink trick to offer 10.2 for free for those who buy reason now although it is free for all owners anyway?

sent using Tapatalk

Marc64

18 Sep 2018

I think it is a free update for those who have r10

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

aeox
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2018

Rason wrote:
18 Sep 2018
Bcs the props website says buy 10 now and get 10.2 for free. They originally said all updates to 10 would be free till the end of the year. Or is it just marketink trick to offer 10.2 for free for those who buy reason now although it is free for all owners anyway?

sent using Tapatalk
It's not a paid update, they just worded it weird!

Rason

18 Sep 2018

I thought so. It is really dumb. It is like saying buy reason now and you get the main sequencer for free.

sent using Tapatalk

Loque

18 Sep 2018

Probably the last time we get a free point update :-)
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

18 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
18 Sep 2018
Probably the last time we get a free point update :-)
they said they’re doing at least one more to improve VST performance.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

chimp_spanner

18 Sep 2018

I literally can't wait for the VST update. To be clear, I get good performance...or at least good enough that I can work. But I know it can be better. And when it is, and we're all set up for 11, woooooo boyyyyyyy.

antic604

18 Sep 2018

Rason wrote:
18 Sep 2018
Or is it just marketing trick
Yes :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2018

antic604 wrote:
18 Sep 2018
Rason wrote:
18 Sep 2018
Or is it just marketing trick
Yes :)
Yes + 1 :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

scratchnsnifff

18 Sep 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
18 Sep 2018
I literally can't wait for the VST update. To be clear, I get good performance...or at least good enough that I can work. But I know it can be better. And when it is, and we're all set up for 11, woooooo boyyyyyyy.
I did some digging last night and saw that 9.5 was announced in late March

So if they are on the same schedule, we may not see the .5 update for another 6 months or so.
Honestly the 10.1 and 10.2 updates are what I have been excited about. The vst stuff is fun at times but I have just been finding so much use for grain and Europa
Do you think they will wait that long for the vst update? Or is it likely that they would release the performance patch before the year is up. I don’t remember when they announced 10, but I’d like to see when 11 is likely to come out. I’m hoping for a combinator :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Loque

18 Sep 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
18 Sep 2018
I have a few (mostly gfx intensive) VSTs that are not usable. the rest varies. So i can live with the actual state too, but awaiting a performance optimization soon.
Reason12, Win10

supersplaron

18 Sep 2018

Just to clarify: if you own Reason 10 -> Reason 10.2 is a free update.

chimp_spanner

18 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
18 Sep 2018
chimp_spanner wrote:
18 Sep 2018
I have a few (mostly gfx intensive) VSTs that are not usable. the rest varies. So i can live with the actual state too, but awaiting a performance optimization soon.
I don't think there's a single VST that's problematic on its own! It seems to be when you've got a lot of them in the project, plus RE's, it just becomes a lot more jittery and sensitive to any kind of CPU activity. That's how it feels anyway. But I mean usually I'm running Superior 3, at least one Kontakt, several POD Farms, synths, CV stuff and it holds together well. But the thought that it could perform even better really opens up some possibilities. And also means I don't have to part with this laptop just yet. I do love it so haha.

Rason

18 Sep 2018

joeyluck wrote:Has there ever been a paid point update of Reason?
I thought 9.2 or 9.5 was paid. But I skipped whole 9 so I dont know. But they always give free new paid version if ppl buy the current one just prior the release so I thought this was the case. But ofc its not.

sent using Tapatalk

esselfortium

18 Sep 2018

Rason wrote:
18 Sep 2018
I thought 9.2 or 9.5 was paid. But I skipped whole 9 so I dont know. But they always give free new paid version if ppl buy the current one just prior the release so I thought this was the case. But ofc its not.

sent using Tapatalk
Nope, the point updates have always been free. A lot of people remember paying for 9.5 because they skipped 9.0.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

chimp_spanner

18 Sep 2018

esselfortium wrote:
18 Sep 2018
Rason wrote:
18 Sep 2018

sent using Tapatalk
Nope, the point updates have always been free. A lot of people remember paying for 9.5 because they skipped 9.0.
^ Ah, this explains it! I was sure people were complaining about paying for 9.5...while still being on 8. Now it makes sense.

guitfnky

18 Sep 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
18 Sep 2018
I don't think there's a single VST that's problematic on its own!
there is one. and it is Bias. :lol: it's probably not the only thing, really, but it definitely does seem to be doing a number on my DSP meter. I have a friend who can't even use one instance of Bias FX without encountering pops and clicks.

pushedbutton

18 Sep 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
18 Sep 2018
esselfortium wrote:
18 Sep 2018

^ Ah, this explains it! I was sure people were complaining about paying for 9.5...while still being on 8. Now it makes sense.
Yeah you only pay for the whole number upgrades.
It seems like they get the day one purchases, see what improvements are a priority then scoop up a few more upgrades half way into the product's life cycle when the noisiest topics are dealt with.
It's not a bad way of working I guess. Better than feeling you're constantly working with beta releases anyhow.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

chimp_spanner

18 Sep 2018

guitfnky wrote:
18 Sep 2018
chimp_spanner wrote:
18 Sep 2018
I don't think there's a single VST that's problematic on its own!
there is one. and it is Bias. :lol: it's probably not the only thing, really, but it definitely does seem to be doing a number on my DSP meter. I have a friend who can't even use one instance of Bias FX without encountering pops and clicks.
Oh for real? I’m sure it works okay over here. What are your/his specs and project settings?

guitfnky

18 Sep 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
18 Sep 2018
guitfnky wrote:
18 Sep 2018

Oh for real? I’m sure it works okay over here. What are your/his specs and project settings?
mine I can get several instances on, but when I start doing other processing, stuff piles up pretty quickly with Bias FX on a small handful of tracks. not sure if it reserves DSP usage for effects that are in the chain, but bypassed. if so, that might be a big part of the problem. I should try that...

we both have decently-spec-ed computers (~ 2 year old i7s, 16+GB RAM), using ASIO drivers, but with low buffer settings (64 or 128) for recording.

AzureEyes

18 Sep 2018

Decimal updates are always paid [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

guitfnky

19 Sep 2018

guitfnky wrote:
18 Sep 2018
chimp_spanner wrote:
18 Sep 2018

mine I can get several instances on, but when I start doing other processing, stuff piles up pretty quickly with Bias FX on a small handful of tracks. not sure if it reserves DSP usage for effects that are in the chain, but bypassed. if so, that might be a big part of the problem. I should try that...

we both have decently-spec-ed computers (~ 2 year old i7s, 16+GB RAM), using ASIO drivers, but with low buffer settings (64 or 128) for recording.
turns out four instances of Bias FX with a 1024 sample buffer were making a fairly busy song unplayable without significant clicks and pops. replacing the Bias plugs with Kuassa's Vermilion RE let me play with *almost* no clicks at a 96 sample buffer.

I don't know much about how buffer and DSP use interact (other than the obvious; lower is more CPU intensive), but that seems like a pretty significant difference for four instances of a plugin.

EnochLight

19 Sep 2018

Rason wrote:
18 Sep 2018
I thought 9.2 or 9.5 was paid.
Nope.

Both 9.2 and 9.5 were free updates - to all 9.0 owners. In fact, all "point" updates are free to full version owners of the version being "point updated". It's been like this since Reason 1.0, and I see no evidence that they will change that practice.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Lempface

21 Sep 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
18 Sep 2018
Wish I got good VST performance, I can add maybe 5-10 instances of anything before Reason cuts out.

In Ableton Live I can have 30-50 and be fine, but I've sold my license. I think I'm just going to hold off any making any music until the VST update is released.
Reason 11 Suite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Komplete Kontrol M32 | Maschine Mikro MK2 | Maschine Jam

• Information