Solving Perfomance Issues

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Desmondblack
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2018

At the risk of asking something very obvious: I have quite some performance issues with Reason 10, mostly due to my pre-historical MAC (from 2010) which I should replace but currently can’t.

I usually run into CPU issues when finalising my arrangements, and Reason stopping play because “your computer is too slow to play song” is not very conductive to mixing.

In your experience, does it help bouncing down non-drum tracks into audio?

Any other tips are appreciated, thanks!
Can't produce in the bedroom - people are sleeping there!

EnochLight

16 Sep 2018

Desmondblack wrote:
16 Sep 2018
At the risk of asking something very obvious: I have quite some performance issues with Reason 10, mostly due to my pre-historical MAC (from 2010) which I should replace but currently can’t.

I usually run into CPU issues when finalising my arrangements, and Reason stopping play because “your computer is too slow to play song” is not very conductive to mixing.

In general, bouncing down any virtual instruments to audio can help improve performance on older hardware - non-drum tracks included. That said, Propellerhead are due to release a free update later this year that addresses VST-performance in Reason 10.x, so hopefully your performance issues will improve with that release. In the meantime, are you running in 'Low-Resolution Mode'?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Ahornberg

16 Sep 2018

I always bounce to audio before mixing. It makes things a lot easier.

Desmondblack
Competition Winner

16 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
Desmondblack wrote:
16 Sep 2018

In general, bouncing down any virtual instruments to audio can help improve performance on older hardware - non-drum tracks included. That said, Propellerhead are due to release a free update later this year that addresses VST-performance in Reason 10.x, so hopefully your performance issues will improve with that release. In the meantime, are you running in 'Low-Resolution Mode'?
Thanks for your answer [emoji848]not sure if I am in low resolution mode actually. Is that available on the Mac version as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EnochLight

16 Dec 2018

Desmondblack wrote:
16 Dec 2018
Thanks for your answer [emoji848]not sure if I am in low resolution mode actually. Is that available on the Mac version as well?
It's available on Mac OSX running on Retina screens. It's an OS feature (handy for apps that have performance issues):

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/06/2 ... play-macs/

Opening apps in Low Resolution mode

If you notice that an app looks different than you expect on your Retina display, try opening the app using Low Resolution mode:
  • Quit the app if it's open.
  • In the Finder, choose Applications from the Go menu.
  • In the Applications folder that opens, click the app's icon so it's highlighted.
  • Choose Get Info from the File menu.
  • Place a checkmark next to "Open in Low Resolution"
    retina_low_res.png
    retina_low_res.png (12.93 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
  • Close the window and open the app again.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Desmondblack
Competition Winner

16 Dec 2018

Aha thanks! Unfo my MAC is pre-Retina :-) hence the performance issues I guess! In any case thanks a lot,
DZM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MindTheft

23 Feb 2019

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm having to deal with "Computer too slow to play song" every half bar at the moment, it's driving me crazy..

To run in Low Resolution mode, is that an option in Reason, or a Windows option? How to I locate activate it?

Also, Bouncing tracks...?

1) Can I tweak the synth/instrument after bouncing?

2) Can I change the arrangement in terms of rhythm and melody

3) Does this solve performance issues?

4) What happens to the synth/instrument and midi after bouncing?

Thanks

jappe

23 Feb 2019

MindTheft wrote:
23 Feb 2019
Sorry for my ignorance, I'm having to deal with "Computer too slow to play song" every half bar at the moment, it's driving me crazy..

To run in Low Resolution mode, is that an option in Reason, or a Windows option? How to I locate activate it?

Also, Bouncing tracks...?

1) Can I tweak the synth/instrument after bouncing?

2) Can I change the arrangement in terms of rhythm and melody

3) Does this solve performance issues?

4) What happens to the synth/instrument and midi after bouncing?

Thanks
Bouncing disconnects the track to a waveform audio track; Any changes in synth parameters etc means you'll need to rebounce.

An alternative to bouncing is to set some effect RE:s on passthrough while recording on low latency buffer, and enable them when all recording is done+increase the buffer to make it playable again.

tumar

23 Feb 2019

EnochLight wrote:
16 Dec 2018
Desmondblack wrote:
16 Dec 2018
It's available on Mac OSX running on Retina screens. It's an OS feature (handy for apps that have performance issues):

If you notice that an app looks different than you expect on your Retina display, try opening the app using Low Resolution mode:
  • In the Applications folder that opens, click the app's icon so it's highlighted.

retina_low_res.png

I have HUGE problem with latency and cracking on Macbook Retina (2.2 ghz, i7) . Low resolution mode on/off doesn't change anything. Even simple Combinator with 6 Maelstrom pads kills my Macbook Pro on 128 samples (256 kicks in too much latency) - but it works on ancient old Core2Duo Macbook. Problem lays somewhere between Reason and Retina. I just pushed Reason away and I wait for Ableton Live sale. So no money on Reason upgrade, neither any new RE buy.

jappe

23 Feb 2019

tumar wrote:
23 Feb 2019
EnochLight wrote:
16 Dec 2018

retina_low_res.png

I have HUGE problem with latency and cracking on Macbook Retina (2.2 ghz, i7) . Low resolution mode on/off doesn't change anything. Even simple Combinator with 6 Maelstrom pads kills my Macbook Pro on 128 samples (256 kicks in too much latency) - but it works on ancient old Core2Duo Macbook. Problem lays somewhere between Reason and Retina. I just pushed Reason away and I wait for Ableton Live sale. So no money on Reason upgrade, neither any new RE buy.
I assume you already have set "Graphics card switching" to disabled?
If that's on, as it is by default, it'll kill your performance.

tumar

23 Feb 2019

jappe wrote:
23 Feb 2019
I assume you already have set "Graphics card switching" to disabled?
If that's on, as it is by default, it'll kill your performance.
This Macbook has single GPU. It cracks like hell without hitting CPU more than 2-3 bars.
Ableton Live 8 and Presonus Studio One 3 Pro flies like arrow on this machine, even with 32 samples. I lost interest in Reason.

• Information