SL 880 midi notes sustain

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
anarack

12 Sep 2018

Hi - I am new to this forum. Have had and used my Studio Logic 880 keyboard with Reason since version 1. Has been in storage for a while and I am now on reason version 10.

I bought a U-Phoria UMC204HD to get the midi into reason as my original SB Audigy card was being temperamental.

If I play notes I can see the midi led flashing as I touch the keys and notes ply on a live instrument on reason rack, except once I hit a note it stays on in the background all the time until I press stop on reason. I have some recollection back in my mind that there were some midi control codes that need to be sent out at switch on or something. I know people have mixed reviews about this keyboard but it seems to be fine. Do I need to plug a lead into the sustain pedal socket to stop it being on sustain all the time? Something Is not quite right....

Thanks for any suggestions

Loque

12 Sep 2018

I guess your controller is not sending the right gate on/off information. Normally this is a problem of the controller configuration or Reason does not detected the controller. Check what controller is selected in the Reason options.
Reason12, Win10

hurricane
Competition Winner

13 Sep 2018

If you have a sustain pedal plugged in and your sustain is on all the time (like you said), sounds to me like you need to invert your polarity. I forgot how I did it to my SL 990, but it's really easy. Google.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

13 Sep 2018

hurricane wrote:
13 Sep 2018
If you have a sustain pedal plugged in and your sustain is on all the time (like you said), sounds to me like you need to invert your polarity. I forgot how I did it to my SL 990, but it's really easy. Google.
Usually holding the pedal down while powering on inverts it (on all my synths that is all that is needed).

anarack

15 Sep 2018

Thanks for the replies, I don't have the sustain pedal connected - I had a thought that maybe it needed to be plugged in to stop the notes lingering - I have this thing in the back of my mind when I first setup this keyboard that I had some issues until I did something. I was suggesting pluggin in a guitar lead to the sustain port ( same jack ) to see if the presence of it in there did something. I am wondering if it is to do with the midi implementation, so I am going to try several settings. I have an old Korg 05RW that I purchased around the same time as this keyboard - so I am going to try it on there and see if it exhibits the same behavior. Otherwise it may be some kind of incompatibility with reason.

One other question, plse...I have now got a Beheringer Uphoria audio/midi interface that I am using to connect to my PC with reason.

When setting up the midi in prefs, There is no Beheringer UMC204HD specified or found, so I was using a different Beheringer hoping that they are pretty much universal with specs/drivers. That aside, should I STILL be trying different keyboards to see if my SL880 works through one of them or just use as generic through the Uphoria, or do I need to get both correct to get it all working? As my SL880 is using the midi connection of the Beheringer into reason...
Thanks again
Tim

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

15 Sep 2018

How have you added the SL880 to Reason, what did you choose under preferences\control surface? (e.g Other - Midi Keyboard(no controls)) please do a screen shot.
Have you ever added anything to the Sync tab?

ReasonUser

17 Sep 2018

You can try resetting the keyboard to factory default.

Hold the three main function buttons down while turning on the power.

anarack

19 Sep 2018

Thank you for all your replies. In the end I had to do a factory reset and then setup zone one with no sustain and no aftertouch. However, I then had real issue with the keyboard not turning on properly.

After lots of time with the circuit board out and re-soldering the DC power socket connection points , I came across a post relating to the DC power switch. I guess the multi contact switch's contacts have corroded slowly since I purchased the keyboard. So shorting two connections that *should* be switched properly has fixed it so it boots up every time.
Now I have another problem that I can not seem to record midi from either of my keyboards now...Seems like I need another post..

Thanks

ReasonUser

19 Sep 2018

That problem you mention with the power switch has been an issue with every fatar I've owned.

The solution was always to keep turning it on and off by tapping the power switch. It would take a few tries but eventually it would turn on correctly. After this I'd turn it off and on from the surge protector/power strip, and it would come on correctly every time.

bpmorton

20 Sep 2018

ReasonUser wrote:
19 Sep 2018
That problem you mention with the power switch has been an issue with every fatar I've owned.

The solution was always to keep turning it on and off by tapping the power switch. It would take a few tries but eventually it would turn on correctly. After this I'd turn it off and on from the surge protector/power strip, and it would come on correctly every time.
No. The problem is with the circuit board in the SL 880 where the power input makes a loop back through the power switch. you have to jump two of the connections with solder to fix this problem. The other solution you mention works but is not a fix.

here is a link to the info that helped me fix mine.
http://www.kappenburg.net/projects/Fatar_SL880/

joeyluck

20 Sep 2018

Sounds like you narrowed it down to being a hardware issue.

You mention not having a sustain pedal connected. Do you use the sustain pedal? I really only use mine for piano patches... But perhaps you can try editing the remotemap to ignore sustain? If perhaps that is the issue. I had to edit mine to ignore the pitch wheel because it always manages to send MIDI and record automation, I've fixed it a few times and then decided I have other keyboard to use when I want to bend pitch...

• Information