Propellerhead's priorities

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
INFEKT

30 Aug 2018

I've been really disappointed with Propellerhead's priorities.

Reason 10 on Mac still only works when you turn on low-res mode, which looks horrible. The performance on MacOS has been really bad over the last year and they don't seem to be much interested in fixing it. It took them a lot of months to fix the issue with High Sierra that caused major performance Issues.

Meanwhile they keep releasing stuff to bring them money. Rack extensions... Reason compact... How about fixing what's broken first?

I paid almost 400€ for Reason 9, then another 130€ for the Reason 10 upgrade and it just doesn't work properly. This is not a great user experience.

I don't usually go out of my way to write things like this, but I think someone needs to speak up about this.

selig
RE Developer

30 Aug 2018

INFEKT wrote:
30 Aug 2018

Reason 10 on Mac still only works when you turn on low-res mode, which looks horrible. The performance on MacOS has been really bad over the last year and they don't seem to be much interested in fixing it. It took them a lot of months to fix the issue with High Sierra that caused major performance Issues.

Meanwhile they keep releasing stuff to bring them money. Rack extensions... Reason compact... How about fixing what's broken first?

I paid almost 400€ for Reason 9, then another 130€ for the Reason 10 upgrade and it just doesn't work properly. This is not a great user experience.

I don't usually go out of my way to write things like this, but I think someone needs to speak up about this.
They've repeatedly and recently mentioned they are working on this problem and it's complicated (and they know they need to get it right).

Meanwhile, do you expect them to hold back releasing things that are all ready to go? It's not like they can move their iOS guys over to optimizing performance issues - they are two entirely different departments/job descriptions. And how would you expect them to pay their employees that are working on fixing the problems you mention if they don't keep making money?

In all the years I've been a Props customer, they have been known to take the "slow and steady wins the race" approach. I hope that's not "news" to you…the good news is that once it's addressed it will most likely be done well, if past performance is any indication of future results.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Undistraction

30 Aug 2018

$$$$$$$

benjified

30 Aug 2018

INFEKT wrote:
30 Aug 2018

I don't post much, but I read here and there and I see alot of criticism of Propellerhead here. Venting is fine, no product or company is above criticism, but there is no imperative need as the criticism is all around us already.

10.2 is out in less than a month.

Unfortunately, performance fixes are further down the horizon, but they are coming. Propellerhead has acknowledge the issue several times and have let us know they are working on a fix. Gambatte! Hang in there!

INFEKT

30 Aug 2018

selig wrote:
30 Aug 2018
INFEKT wrote:
30 Aug 2018

They've repeatedly and recently mentioned they are working on this problem and it's complicated (and they know they need to get it right).

Meanwhile, do you expect them to hold back releasing things that are all ready to go? It's not like they can move their iOS guys over to optimizing performance issues - they are two entirely different departments/job descriptions. And how would you expect them to pay their employees that are working on fixing the problems you mention if they don't keep making money?

In all the years I've been a Props customer, they have been known to take the "slow and steady wins the race" approach. I hope that's not "news" to you…the good news is that once it's addressed it will most likely be done well, if past performance is any indication of future results.
Then maybe they don't realize how big of an issue this is and they need to put more people on to it. When you sell expensive software for professional use, which people depend on for their work and income, the product not working as intended should be your top priority. I haven't been able to work with Reason properly for the last half year or more, which is definitely not a reasonable time to take to fix a major issue like this.

normen

30 Aug 2018

INFEKT wrote:
30 Aug 2018
Me too. Especially the VST priority which is now sucking up resources in all areas from support to the actual development of Reason :roll: There was a time when updates just meant new cool instruments and FX to play with and a few improvements to what worked fine :?

selig
RE Developer

30 Aug 2018

normen wrote:
30 Aug 2018
INFEKT wrote:
30 Aug 2018
Me too. Especially the VST priority which is now sucking up resources in all areas from support to the actual development of Reason :roll: There was a time when updates just meant new cool instruments and FX to play with and a few improvements to what worked fine :?
Exactly. We all have different priorities and the Props have to address ALL of them. Reason is working great for my work on my system - I don't have performance issues that affect my work in any way. There are plenty of other things I would much prefer them working on than VST performance at this time.
Selig Audio, LLC

Undistraction

31 Aug 2018

normen wrote:
30 Aug 2018
INFEKT wrote:
30 Aug 2018
They're making a very clumsy attempt at expanding their userbase by pissing off their userbase. Of course it makes sense to diversify and pull in revenue from other demographics with other products, but look at how they've done it - with botched VST integration and a stillborn mobile app. Both of which have meant their core product has been pitifully neglected. Now they're chucking us some scraps to try and make the userbase happy. And the sad thing is that many users will be overly grateful for a handful of minor improvements while the big things people have been asking for for years - 4k, new combinator, freeze etc are ignored and performance gets steadily worse with every new update.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

31 Aug 2018

INFEKT wrote:
30 Aug 2018
selig wrote:
30 Aug 2018

Then maybe they don't realize how big of an issue this is and they need to put more people on to it. When you sell expensive software for professional use, which people depend on for their work and income, the product not working as intended should be your top priority. I haven't been able to work with Reason properly for the last half year or more, which is definitely not a reasonable time to take to fix a major issue like this.
Just to give some background, "putting more people on it" doesn't always work. For example, our mobile team is completely separate from Reason R&D — mobile development is different from Reason development so there's very little overlap in people. Additionally, the way we need to adress performance issues require a small team with a specific skill set due to it all being connected under the hood and touching the same part of the codes. Adding extra people to that work actually wouldn't speed it up, it's inefficient and risky.

Because of this, we prefer to release the other things we've got brewing as free updates as we believe they're still useful and appreciated by Reason users.

Hope that gave you some background info!

Undistraction

31 Aug 2018

I don't think the question is whether you should just 'put more people on it', but 'why has it taken you so long to deal with this?' VST performance was poor at launch. Now Reason performance as a whole is poor. Plus Reason itself is badly in need of updating and people have been vocal about this for literally years. Yet instead of addressing this you have been putting out rack extensions. In fact the last major release was just Rack Extensions and some samples. I understand that you need to keep the money coming in, but how is it that Reason has been left to get into this state? Surely you can see why people are annoyed? It is the only major DAW that looks awful on hi-dpi screens, and we can't even say 'it may look awful, but at least it has great performance' because it doesn't even have great performance any more.

You can see why people are underwhelmed by Reason Compact: I think a lot of people have assumed that the neglect of Reason was due to resources being focussed on the mobile version that you'd been working on, but it turns out it isn't really a mobile version. Just a synth with promises that is will be more some day. And yes. I appreciate you can't just move developers between projects, but not everyone involved is a developer - UX, designers, QA etc can be moved around, and roles can be filled with hires.

theshoemaker

31 Aug 2018

Undistraction wrote:
31 Aug 2018
I don't think the question is whether you should just 'put more people on it', but 'why has it taken you so long to deal with this?' VST performance was poor at launch. Now Reason performance as a whole is poor. Plus Reason itself is badly in need of updating and people have been vocal about this for literally years. Yet instead of addressing this you have been putting out rack extensions. In fact the last major release was just Rack Extensions and some samples. I understand that you need to keep the money coming in, but how is it that Reason has been left to get into this state? Surely you can see why people are annoyed? It is the only major DAW that looks awful on hi-dpi screens, and we can't even say 'it may look awful, but at least it has great performance' because it doesn't even have great performance any more.

You can see why people are underwhelmed by Reason Compact: I think a lot of people have assumed that the neglect of Reason was due to resources being focussed on the mobile version that you'd been working on, but it turns out it isn't really a mobile version. Just a synth with promises that is will be more some day. And yes. I appreciate you can't just move developers between projects, but not everyone involved is a developer - UX, designers, QA etc can be moved around, and roles can be filled with hires.
I think people who don't work as developer don't have to proper background to understand the complexity and potential failure of software, especially with multithreading, sandboxing and high performance. It's not just a UI. It's a complex beast.

It's annoying yes, but rather like this and then done right instead of rushing and failing all over.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

antic604

31 Aug 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
31 Aug 2018
I think people who don't work as developer don't have to proper background to understand the complexity and potential failure of software, especially with multithreading, sandboxing and high performance. It's not just a UI. It's a complex beast.

It's annoying yes, but rather like this and then done right instead of rushing and failing all over.
I might be mistaken, but many - most? - people don't have a problem with those things taking time, but rather with why has it taken so long to apparently even start working on them?! I've been using Reason only for slightly over a year, but going back in topics here I see users requesting things like high-res GUI, track folders, freezing, returning cursor, multi-lane editing, ganged faders, combinator 2.0, editable keyboard shortcuts, etc. for many, many years already... And they're not some esoteric, highly innovative features that no one heard of - other DAWs have had them for years!

So sure, if now "suddenly" they decided to start working on the GUI, performance, sequencer (grouping, freezing, etc.) they can't do it all at once, as touching one area impacts all the others, not to mention their ambition to also conquer the mobile app and VST markets at the same time.

It's like an athlete that's spent last few years in front of TV on a couch and suddenly decided he wants to win The Iron Man and win the Olympics...

So I guess we all welcome the new enthusiasm and are thrilled for what's to come, but it might take long years because the backlog of stuff that should've been addressed years ago wasn't even touched. Were they thinking 4K screens are a temporary fad? Or that CPUs will get so strong that they don't have to optimise? Or that by now we'll all hook up our brains to the software and more sequencer features aren't going to be needed? :(

So I'm sure they're working on all of the above, but what users see in the meantime are constant deals, discounts, new REs and re-packed ReFills, which might LOOK like their priorities are somewhere else.

scratchnsnifff

31 Aug 2018

selig wrote:
30 Aug 2018
INFEKT wrote:
30 Aug 2018

There’s even a video of the props (back when kong came out in 5) meet the propellerheads

They even say it’s not even a matter of what idea to put out there, its how to please the most at once as well as make it work to the best of their ability (granted this was before vst so everything really did work fine)

But I trust that they will hold their end of the bargain, if this past two year run of updates is anything to go by, the product managers and others are trying to implement user requests while also trying to do what they want

Iv never been happier with Reason, the new synths are awesome and I can even use one on my phone, I can finally use serum and massive, Iv learned tons of scales and chords and can even make complex arp patterns, not to mention the workflow category. The custom folders, reversed midi automation, bounce in place, and all of the latest 10.2 stuff

If they came through on all of that stuff within that amount of time, I think it’s fair to say that we can trust that they want the issue resolved as well. They probably use their own product as well :D
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

antic604

31 Aug 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
31 Aug 2018
They probably use their own product as well :D
I'm afraid many of them use Reason ONLY...

I remember an interview with one of Ableton developers when Live v10 was about to be released and they were 'bragging' about how they met with some users and observed their workflow to get the ideas for improvements. They were "surprised" to find that many of them struggled with moving about and zooming in the sequencer. Live's way to do it has always been by dragging the scroll-bar left/right to scroll and up/down to zoom. Somehow the devs have missed on a long-standing market standard where you use trackpad two-finger gestures to do that or a mouse wheel (with keyboard modifiers)!!! A thing that was a "revelation" for them, was a (painfully) obvious missing feature for anyone who ever used a browser, an office application or video-editing software, etc.

This particular feature works great in Reason BTW, on par with Bitwig, but I'm just giving an example of why it's valuable - especially for devs, because it might have a completely opposite effect on producers! - to use or at least know very well other software :)

scratchnsnifff

31 Aug 2018

antic604 wrote:
31 Aug 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
31 Aug 2018
They probably use their own product as well :D
I'm afraid many of them use Reason ONLY...

I remember an interview with one of Ableton developers when Live v10 was about to be released and they were 'bragging' about how they met with some users and observed their workflow to get the ideas for improvements. They were "surprised" to find that many of them struggled with moving about and zooming in the sequencer. Live's way to do it has always been by dragging the scroll-bar left/right to scroll and up/down to zoom. Somehow the devs have missed on a long-standing market standard where you use trackpad two-finger gestures to do that or a mouse wheel (with keyboard modifiers)!!! A thing that was a "revelation" for them, was a (painfully) obvious missing feature for anyone who ever used a browser, an office application or video-editing software, etc.

This particular feature works great in Reason BTW, on par with Bitwig, but I'm just giving an example of why it's valuable - especially for devs, because it might have a completely opposite effect on producers! - to use or at least know very well other software :)
A fair point indeed, I do believe they use other DAWs
For example, the idea of players isn’t a Reason only thing
Fl has midi fx as well as logic and I think live has their own scales and chords type of device. Many of their features come from looking at what’s big in the market. lol I’m pretty sure a drum pattern based sequencer was released in logic, then right after the props had their own.

In the example of players, I like how they took the idea of midi tools/fx and made it their own. As well as the fact that they let third party developers in on making them

But I most definitely agree, developers do better when taking a glance at everyone else’s homework :p

wireless

31 Aug 2018

I guess I'm surprised at the levels of dissatisfaction here. I'm personally with 'scratchnsniff' here in that I've never been happier with Reason (user since v3), which leaves me wondering if primarily it's a Windows/iOS thing?

For sure I'm convinced that we must all have ideosyncracies/bugs/features in our unique workflows that we would like to get changed / improved, but speaking personally I find Reason 10 under Windows 10 to be highly stable with very acceptable latency. On the VST front ( a revelation!) I've been pleasantly surprised with how usable VST2 plugins have been (once I twigged that JBridge will handle almost all of the unstable ones).

My favourite Rack Instrument by miles is THOR. Standout REs are Expanse Hyperwave, Nostromo and most everything from Kuassa. I get great use out of the Players, particularly in combination. Current best utility is RND from Lectric Panda - awesome for creating long meandering soundscapes - should be called a music AI....

On the VST front, some of the revelations for me have been xfer records SERUM (now my goto synth), the highly affordable (when on offer) AIR Expansion Pack 3 (with standounts being Strike 2 drums and Hybrid 3).
Most recently THORN CM (the giveaway with Computer Music magazine, July 18) shows what is available for 'free'.
On the FX front, favourites include F6 and Doubler Stereo from Wave, SpecOps and FAULT from PluginAlliance plus Midi Guitar 2 from JAM and Guitar Rig 5 from Native Instruments.

So there you have it - on the face of it a happy customer. But, we're all human, right? I personally would love to have MPE (a recent convert to Roli Seaboard and Cypher 2) plus better access to midi routing in Reason. VST3 would be a bonus. For me though, I do currently have a stable system (specified and built my own windows PC just for Reason use) and stability has got to be a fundamental, so I'm totally supportive of those folks that are unable to get the basic software running.

scratchnsnifff

31 Aug 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
31 Aug 2018
INFEKT wrote:
30 Aug 2018

Just to give some background, "putting more people on it" doesn't always work. For example, our mobile team is completely separate from Reason R&D — mobile development is different from Reason development so there's very little overlap in people. Additionally, the way we need to adress performance issues require a small team with a specific skill set due to it all being connected under the hood and touching the same part of the codes. Adding extra people to that work actually wouldn't speed it up, it's inefficient and risky.

Because of this, we prefer to release the other things we've got brewing as free updates as we believe they're still useful and appreciated by Reason users.

Judging from that old meet the propellerheads video, it seems like you guys already know what you want to implement, it’s the making it work/fine tuning part

You don’t always use go for the Swiss Army knife when you need a sledgehammer

Arrant
Competition Winner

31 Aug 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
31 Aug 2018

I get this, yet the responsibility for the decision to even have a mobile team instead of having extra developers to work on the core product lies with the company. Not with the users.
Many of us couldn't care less about the mobile apps that are coming out, we want the core product to be the best it can possibly be.
I'm personally very happy with the opportunity to use VSTs in Reason, and it works well enough. However the gaphical issues with hi-res monitors are getting to a point where they simply cannot be ignored any more. It needs fixing, and if that takes firing the entire mobile dev team to allocate resources differently then maybe that's what's right for the company.

Loque

31 Aug 2018

Good to see marketing specialist and business managers around here... I am just glad, that they do not lead or work in the company I am working at...
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

31 Aug 2018

Arrant wrote:
31 Aug 2018
MattiasHG wrote:
31 Aug 2018

I get this, yet the responsibility for the decision to even have a mobile team instead of having extra developers to work on the core product lies with the company. Not with the users.
Many of us couldn't care less about the mobile apps that are coming out, we want the core product to be the best it can possibly be.
I'm personally very happy with the opportunity to use VSTs in Reason, and it works well enough. However the gaphical issues with hi-res monitors are getting to a point where they simply cannot be ignored any more. It needs fixing, and if that takes firing the entire mobile dev team to allocate resources differently then maybe that's what's right for the company.
I'm not having any graphic issues, so it's not like there's a problem affecting every user and they're ignoring it!

I would think the Props can "walk and chew gum" at the same time, so hopefully they are addressing things that "I" care about AND the things you care about. Just because the solution isn't done today doesn't mean they are ignoring it…
Selig Audio, LLC

Undistraction

31 Aug 2018

selig wrote:
31 Aug 2018
Arrant wrote:
31 Aug 2018

I'm not having any graphic issues, so it's not like there's a problem affecting every user and they're ignoring it!

I would think the Props can "walk and chew gum" at the same time, so hopefully they are addressing things that "I" care about AND the things you care about. Just because the solution isn't done today doesn't mean they are ignoring it…
Reason doesn't have support for hi-dpi screens precisely because they have been ignoring it for years.

Arrant
Competition Winner

31 Aug 2018

selig wrote:
31 Aug 2018

Well, if you can spare the desk space and money to have a dedicated monitor setup just for running Reason I guess you're fine.
Otherwise you are pretty much stuck with operating microscopic dials in the rack. You can't deny that the rack graphics have been the same for 20 years, when screen resolutions were somewhat different back then to what they are today.

antic604

31 Aug 2018

Loque wrote:
31 Aug 2018
Good to see marketing specialist and business managers around here... I am just glad, that they do not lead or work in the company I am working at...
Why you always defend Props so much? Their marketing and business managers have one and only one goal: maximise the RoE of the company, which they do very skilfully judging by recent announcement of 10.2 beta (more on that below) followed the next day with a end-of-summer sale, during which I probably spent 2x more than I would have if it wasn't for 10.2 announcement...

As I said somewhere else: linked faders, grid following zoom, multi-lane clip editing, returning cursor, jumping from sequencer to rack, adding devices "button" etc. are all easy things that rely on scripting a series of already existing actions that the user themselves could perform in other way. Yet, we - me included! - welcome them like a 2nd coming of Jesus!!! How is that not clever on their part?!

What I'm trying to say is Props' marketing and business management team cares for the company, not for the users. So there's no harm in trying to offer alternative strategies, because our goals differ :)

theshoemaker

31 Aug 2018

Arrant wrote:
31 Aug 2018
selig wrote:
31 Aug 2018

Well, if you can spare the desk space and money to have a dedicated monitor setup just for running Reason I guess you're fine.
Otherwise you are pretty much stuck with operating microscopic dials in the rack. You can't deny that the rack graphics have been the same for 20 years, when screen resolutions were somewhat different back then to what they are today.
I don't know what kind of tracks you create but I'm running fine with my early 2015 mac ... Graphics and performance wise ...
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Undistraction

31 Aug 2018

As I said somewhere else: linked faders, grid following zoom, multi-lane clip editing, returning cursor, jumping from sequencer to rack, adding devices "button" etc. are all easy things that rely on scripting a series of already existing actions that the user themselves could perform in other way. Yet, we - me included! - welcome them like a 2nd coming of Jesus!!! How is that not clever on their part?!
Crumbs swept from the masters table look like generosity to a hungry dog.

• Information