Reason 10.2 with workflow improvements. - OUT NOW

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

26 Aug 2018

Catblack wrote:
26 Aug 2018
What was that option called where you get auto-alt lanes when you are recording midi in a loop? Comp lanes for midi? Something like that? That's the one I want to see more than anything.

I just want to have the option to hit record and play what I feel. Some sort of auto tempo detection of midi clips (which would write the results to the tempo automation lane would be great too. Usually the only time I'm recording midi and staying in time is if I've got an lfo or a tremolo or something in the sound keeping me there.

I've probably got 300 reason song files that would benefit from improvements in this area.
There is Comp Mode already in Reason.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Catblack

26 Aug 2018

Creativemind wrote:
26 Aug 2018
Catblack wrote:
26 Aug 2018
What was that option called where you get auto-alt lanes when you are recording midi in a loop? Comp lanes for midi? Something like that? That's the one I want to see more than anything.

I just want to have the option to hit record and play what I feel. Some sort of auto tempo detection of midi clips (which would write the results to the tempo automation lane would be great too. Usually the only time I'm recording midi and staying in time is if I've got an lfo or a tremolo or something in the sound keeping me there.

I've probably got 300 reason song files that would benefit from improvements in this area.
For audio, not midi.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Creativemind

26 Aug 2018

Catblack wrote:
26 Aug 2018
Creativemind wrote:
26 Aug 2018

For audio, not midi.
Oh yes. Sorry I misread that.
Last edited by Creativemind on 27 Aug 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Kilsane

26 Aug 2018

Hello

Sorry, I do not understand the interest of the new button "Add a device" because the right click can add a device already ???
other than that I am very happy with the other features that come with version 10.2

Hauser+Quaid

26 Aug 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
23 Aug 2018
makke wrote:
23 Aug 2018
Couple nice things, but still no automatically returning playing cursor :lol:
Here’s a secret: I’m a pretty good listener. This is now an option in preferences ;)
SHUT UP!!!

hurricane
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2018

Kilsane wrote:
26 Aug 2018
Hello

Sorry, I do not understand the interest of the new button "Add a device" because the right click can add a device already ???
other than that I am very happy with the other features that come with version 10.2
It cleans up the menu for quicker access:

old:
Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 7.35.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 7.35.54 PM.png (103.78 KiB) Viewed 3054 times

new:
Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 7.34.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 7.34.00 PM.png (85.95 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Kilsane

26 Aug 2018

it must be counted in hundredths of a second the time saving, because if you make your right click at the bottom of the window you are already at the level of adding device.
I thought there was something I had not seen or understood

spelunker

27 Aug 2018

One thing that's always been a serious hinderance to me and ultimately caused me to move to Live when 10 came out...better handling of audio clip fades. I'd love to see non linear curves and the ability to drag into place with the cursor. Tasks like "wrapping" the amplitude of the sub to a kick is compared to any other DAW. Chopping audio almost always creates a zero crossing pop, it would be smart to have an option in prefs to apply 2-3ms autofade on clip edges on either side of every clip to prevent this from happening altogether. Ableton states that their option is "up to 4ms" but i've noticed it can affect sample transients, so I keep it off, and yet still it never pops when hyperediting. I could only hope this gets fixed so we all can find a better single DAW workflow. :)

scratchnsnifff

27 Aug 2018

Oquasec wrote:
26 Aug 2018
The SSL mixer is the combinator 2
The SSL mixer

Is the SSL mixer
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Creativemind

27 Aug 2018

hurricane wrote:
26 Aug 2018
Kilsane wrote:
26 Aug 2018
Hello

old:

new:

That did occur to me actually (almost immediately.)

Something else I just noticed from the Giff on their site (and this occurred to me would probably be the case as well ages ago if Propellerhead ever implemented Ghost Notes / Multi Lane Edit) it looks like the ghost notes from the opposing clip are not editable. They are on FL Studio. You can lengthen / shorten the note, move and delete them.
Last edited by Creativemind on 27 Aug 2018, edited 2 times in total.

antic604

27 Aug 2018

While I'm super happy in particular about multi-lane editing...

...I hope this is just the beginning.

Comparing to Bitwig, I'd love Props to add those features sometime soon:
- ability to see more than 2 tracks at once (it's not mentioned anywhere, but I suspect it's limited to two, because I think it uses the "hack" that's been posted several times),
- ability to decide, which tracks are locked (view only) and which are editable,
- ability to edit (move, delete, change length etc.) notes from all tracks/clips in editable mode at once,
- ability for the edit window to follow playback / timeline (this might already be in, because that's how editor works now for single clip),
- ability to also add audio tracks/clips (only visible as a reference), so that the notes can be edited against the audio wave.

Regardless, I'm very excited to test & use 10.2 :)

Creativemind

27 Aug 2018

antic604 wrote:
27 Aug 2018
While I'm super happy in particular about multi-lane editing...

- ability to see more than 2 tracks at once (it's not mentioned anywhere, but I suspect it's limited to two, because I think it uses the "hack" that's been posted several times),
- ability to decide, which tracks are locked (view only) and which are editable,
- ability to edit (move, delete, change length etc.) notes from all tracks/clips in editable mode at once,
- ability for the edit window to follow playback / timeline (this might already be in, because that's how editor works now for single clip),
- ability to also add audio tracks/clips (only visible as a reference), so that the notes can be edited against the audio wave.

I've just mentioned number 2 on your list (editing ghosted notes) above. I suspect not judging from the gif and the last one onm your list, referencing against an audio clip, now that's a new one on me (as I've only seen this feature on FL Studio and as far as I know it can't do that) and that would be fantastic.

antic604

27 Aug 2018

Creativemind wrote:
27 Aug 2018
I've just mentioned number 2 on your list (editing ghosted notes) above.
We were typing our posts at the same time, because yours wasn't there when I started :)

I'll try to do a video showcasing how it works in Bitwig, so that Mattias could get "inspired" for v10.3 ;) :D

Creativemind

27 Aug 2018

antic604 wrote:
27 Aug 2018
Creativemind wrote:
27 Aug 2018
I've just mentioned number 2 on your list (editing ghosted notes) above.
We were typing our posts at the same time, because yours wasn't there when I started :)

I'll try to do a video showcasing how it works in Bitwig, so that Mattias could get "inspired" for v10.3 ;) :D
Can't wait see it in action.
:)

You'd think they'd look at how other daw's do it wouldn't you and compete?

selig
RE Developer

27 Aug 2018

antic604 wrote:While I'm super happy in particular about multi-lane editing...

I’m sure most of these will be possible one way or another, and the ones that are not I definitely agree they would be quite handy to have.

Especially editing Notes over Audio, as well as the simple ability to edit volume (and other) automation over audio (PLEASE!!!), seem like total no-brainers to me.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

antic604

27 Aug 2018

Creativemind wrote:
27 Aug 2018
You'd think they'd look at how other daw's do it wouldn't you and compete?
Obviously, but - with all due respect - this update looks like a low-hanging-fruit update:
- multi-lane editing, if it's really restricted to 2 lanes at a time, probably uses the "hack" that was discovered earlier, with copying & muting other clip over the one you edit,
- ganged faders is simply mapping the movement of the mouse to all the faders on selected tracks (although there appears to be appropriate scaling of faders at different positions),
- adaptive grid simply selects a different grid setting for different zoom levels,
- playhead returning to the start is just moving the playhead to where it was before playback started,
- add track/device button - I'm not sure what this is for?

The first four features seem to be a case of simple "scripting" the actions behind the scenes, using the mechanisms or options already available in Reason. Which is great in itself, but could've been done years ago, because I don't think it really needed much developer effort. I think - hope! - the devs are burried deep in VST code :)

EnochLight

27 Aug 2018

antic604 wrote:
27 Aug 2018
could've been done years ago, because I don't think it really needed much developer effort. I think - hope! - the devs are burried deep in VST code :)
Things like this always require more developer effort (and testing for a stable release) than one might expect. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

fieldframe
RE Developer

27 Aug 2018

miscend wrote:
25 Aug 2018
Zac wrote:
24 Aug 2018
Obviously I'm guessing here but I'd be very surprised that while the 'task force' are working on the inner workings of the program to improve vst performance that they didn't also look at things like higher resolution because that issue is only ever going to get more pertinent.

I'm also hoping that improved vst performance might also equal improved RE performance?
REs have always been produced with high resolution art assets. So I’m guessing there is already a plan for high resolutions, it just hasn’t been implemented yet because they have to redo all the old rack devices.
Upgraded resolution will require a GUI rewrite, which probably has to come after a core rewrite. As I said earlier in the thread:
fieldframe wrote:
25 Aug 2018
If I were to speculate, I'd say this is probably the first of two big things that have to happen before Reason can get updated, high-DPI graphics or things like a zoomable rack. Refactoring and rewriting the "Reason engine" is huge, and has far-reaching implications beyond VST performance (we're talking "making the next 10 years of Reason possible"). With this new, leaner platform to build on, the next big part would be a rewrite of the GUI, likely using modern APIs like Metal on Mac and DirectX on Windows.

So, if 10.5 has the big audio engine rewrite, it certainly seems plausible that 11.x could have the GUI rewrite that finally gives us the ultra-sharp, 60fps UI we've dreamed of.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2018

Just a question. Why do we want better graphics? Anybody tell me? And I’m really not trying to provoke. I really wonder why.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

stxlm

27 Aug 2018

hurricane wrote:
26 Aug 2018
Kilsane wrote:
26 Aug 2018
Hello

old:

new:

Be a good sport and follow Prop's request to not share Beta info outside the Beta Lounge.

madmacman

27 Aug 2018

MrFigg wrote:
27 Aug 2018
Just a question. Why do we want better graphics? Anybody tell me? And I’m really not trying to provoke. I really wonder why.
Mainly because the modern displays (notebooks & desktop displays) go to HiDPI (e.g. MacBook Pro 2880 x 1800 pixels) where the current gfx of Reason is either too small, or (if resized) looks clumsy.

selig
RE Developer

27 Aug 2018

stxlm wrote:
27 Aug 2018
hurricane wrote:
26 Aug 2018

old:

new:

Be a good sport and follow Prop's request to not share Beta info outside the Beta Lounge.
He's fine (and beta has not yet begun), it's a screen grab from the Props Blog!
https://www.propellerheads.se/blog
Selig Audio, LLC

antic604

27 Aug 2018

MrFigg wrote:
27 Aug 2018
Not better, just higher resolution. Let me explain:

Reason was released in 2001, when most screens were still 4:3 ratio 786p or 900p and 1080p was a new thing - so Reason was designed for such screens and looks great there. Since then, nothing changed in Reason's GUI in terms of resolution the devices and interface are drawn in. So for example on a 1080p screen you see 2 columns in a Rack. If you today open Reason on a pretty common 4K monitor, you'll have 4 columns in a Rack, because 4K = 4x 1080p. Obviously, if the screen isn't too big all the elements - knobs, sliders, switches, etc. - will be tiny, so you can use Windows' internal scaling option to increase the size. And here lie the problems:
- if you use 200% scaling then your 4K screen basically turns into 1080p screen as 1 pixel of Reason's GUI is displayed as a "big" 2x2 pixel on a 4K screen. If you're using other DAWs on this monitor Reason will suddenly seem pixelated, because it is
- if you use a different scaling factor - say 175%, 150%, 125%; the picture will be pixelated AND blurry, because - for example with 150% scaling - odd GUI pixels will be displayed once and even GUI pixels will be displayed twice (you can't display 1.5x of a pixel)

Why does that bother anyone? Because there's no good alternative - in my case for example (Surface Pro 4 with 2736 x 1824 resolution) when I use 200% scaling the image is sharp (2x2 pixels) but I can't see enough on the screen: 1 & 1/3 of a column in Rack. If I use 175% or 150% to see more, it gets very blurry because Windows will apply some alternating pattern of 1x 2x 2x or 1x 2x respectively for 175% and 150% and this causes my eyes to tire quite quickly, because they try to compensate for the blurriness.

If Reason's GUI was drawn using 4K or 8K assets, then the issue would be much smaller, because downsampling (high -> low res) is always much more precise than upsampling (low -> high res).

Again, for a lot of people this isn't an issue because: a) they're still using 1080p monitor(s), b) they have some eye sight impairment and they don't see the difference, c) they never used other DAW and can't compare.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2018

antic604 wrote:
27 Aug 2018
MrFigg wrote:
27 Aug 2018
Not better, just higher resolution. Let me explain:

Reason was released in 2001, when most screens were still 4:3 ratio 786p or 900p and 1080p was a new thing - so Reason was designed for such screens and looks great there. Since then, nothing changed in Reason's GUI in terms of resolution the devices and interface are drawn in. So for example on a 1080p screen you see 2 columns in a Rack. If you today open Reason on a pretty common 4K monitor, you'll have 4 columns in a Rack, because 4K = 4x 1080p. Obviously, if the screen isn't too big all the elements - knobs, sliders, switches, etc. - will be tiny, so you can use Windows' internal scaling option to increase the size. And here lie the problems:
- if you use 200% scaling then your 4K screen basically turns into 1080p screen as 1 pixel of Reason's GUI is displayed as a "big" 2x2 pixel on a 4K screen. If you're using other DAWs on this monitor Reason will suddenly seem pixelated, because it is
- if you use a different scaling factor - say 175%, 150%, 125%; the picture will be pixelated AND blurry, because - for example with 150% scaling - odd GUI pixels will be displayed once and even GUI pixels will be displayed twice (you can't display 1.5x of a pixel)

Why does that bother anyone? Because there's no good alternative - in my case for example (Surface Pro 4 with 2736 x 1824 resolution) when I use 200% scaling the image is sharp (2x2 pixels) but I can't see enough on the screen: 1 & 1/3 of a column in Rack. If I use 175% or 150% to see more, it gets very blurry because Windows will apply some alternating pattern of 1x 2x 2x or 1x 2x respectively for 175% and 150% and this causes my eyes to tire quite quickly, because they try to compensate for the blurriness.

If Reason's GUI was drawn using 4K or 8K assets, then the issue would be much smaller, because downsampling (high -> low res) is always much more precise than upsampling (low -> high res).

Again, for a lot of people this isn't an issue because: a) they're still using 1080p monitor(s), b) they have some eye sight impairment and they don't see the difference, c) they never used other DAW and can't compare.
Aaah. Much clearer. Too small I get. Thanks. I didn’t know that. I was going out from that it didn’t really make a difference if it didn’t look good as long as it sounded good. Saying that I’ve had some pretty ugly nice sounding guitars in the past which I’m very glad I don’t have any more :). Thanks for the clarification.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

27 Aug 2018

MrFigg wrote:
27 Aug 2018
I was going out from that it didn’t really make a difference if it didn’t look good as long as it sounded good. Saying that I’ve had some pretty ugly nice sounding guitars in the past which I’m very glad I don’t have any more :).
Well, it's not the same - the guitar could have been ugly but you're not really staring at it for hours.
Conversely, if you're looking on a screen where things are very small and/or blurry, this can genuinely impact your workflow.
That's why when people ask here or on FB for a computer specs for Reason, I always tell them "get 1080p screen" - that is what Reason was designed for and probably will stay that way for some time.

• Information