Reason 10.2 with workflow improvements. - OUT NOW

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
botnotbot

25 Aug 2018

Anyone who thinks Props (or any company) can release a much-needed graphics update prior to a much-needed performance update must not have noticed how bad things go when that's been done before. Studio One 3 is a recent example.

It's a dangerous decision to make in either direction, to be honest. But I think Props are probably correct in assuming that the people who continue to use Reason in spite of the dated visuals are not going to have nearly the patience when it comes to sticking around for bad performance and bad visuals.

Ermitage

25 Aug 2018

Hope this is just the beginning, because there is a long way to go in terms of improving the sequencer aspect of Reason.

Still, a step in the right direction .

pjeudy

25 Aug 2018

Big Applause for Propellerhead for adding Edit multiple lanes and move group of faders together :thumbs_up: :clap:
Although it's way to late for me to be interested in. New and current hardcore users will greatly appreciate Editing Multiple layer.

One thing that did have me shaking my head though..I've been requesting workflow feature like these for years now, before I could notice any grey hair on my head...and now years later when Yea I do have some grays making there appearances :) we finally get editing multiple layers and group fader action......fingers crossed we get sync browser audio to main sequencer window by the time I reach retirement age. :D

On a more serious note keep it up Props !!!!!!
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

antic604

25 Aug 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
25 Aug 2018
What other DAW has a rack? CV?
Visually - no one. Functionally - Bitwig, Live with M4L.

fieldframe
RE Developer

25 Aug 2018

sonicbyte wrote:
23 Aug 2018
"Meanwhile, work on VST performance is ongoing. The result of this work will be released as a separate free update later this year. The reason it’s a separate release is because the performance work is an extensive rewrite of the inner workings of the program and requires an expert task force."

Also is great they at least keep us posted about this !
If I were to speculate, I'd say this is probably the first of two big things that have to happen before Reason can get updated, high-DPI graphics or things like a zoomable rack. Refactoring and rewriting the "Reason engine" is huge, and has far-reaching implications beyond VST performance (we're talking "making the next 10 years of Reason possible"). With this new, leaner platform to build on, the next big part would be a rewrite of the GUI, likely using modern APIs like Metal on Mac and DirectX on Windows.

So, if 10.5 has the big audio engine rewrite, it certainly seems plausible that 11.x could have the GUI rewrite that finally gives us the ultra-sharp, 60fps UI we've dreamed of.

NekujaK

25 Aug 2018

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I totally appreciate the Props slow and steady approach to development. It requires a lot of careful thought and planning to integrate new features into the Reason eco system that work smoothly and reliably (the one slight exception Might be VST integration, which is very very good, but could use a few tweaks to achieve perfection IMHO).

"Kitchen sink" DAWs like Reaper are overflowing with options and features, but are a mess to use. The thing we love so much about Reason, is its transparent and direct workflow. This is not an easy thng to achieve. It's fragile and can easily be destroyed if new features are not thoughtfully designed and implemented.

So take your time, Props. I made music with Reason 10 years ago, I'm still making music with Reason today, and I definitely want to be making music with Reason 10 years from now. Slow and steady wins the race!

Thank you, Props.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

OverneathTheSkyBridg

25 Aug 2018

Creativemind wrote:
25 Aug 2018
OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
24 Aug 2018
Awesome! The adaptive grid was one of my requests. Glad to see they're doing some workflow improvements. Hoping for the 4K support overhaul :-)

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
+1.

Would like to know more about it. Waiting for my beta. I'm off work tomorrow and Monday so fingers crossed it comes on one of them days. I doubt tomorrow actually with it being Sunday.

It can be turned of I'm guessing?
It looks like it's an option in the drop down menu alongside all the other resolutions. When selected it adapts as you zoom in and out.

Exowildebeest

25 Aug 2018

25 Aug 2018
Creativemind wrote:
25 Aug 2018

+1.

Would like to know more about it. Waiting for my beta. I'm off work tomorrow and Monday so fingers crossed it comes on one of them days. I doubt tomorrow actually with it being Sunday.

It looks like it's an option in the drop down menu alongside all the other resolutions. When selected it adapts as you zoom in and out.
Good because I never got along well with adaptive grids :lol:

Creativemind

25 Aug 2018

am0eba wrote:
24 Aug 2018
Adding my voice to those who are thrilled with this announcement. Nice to see user requests being honored and these in particular are ones I am interested in using. The ghost notes is a biggie, for sure.

Sync to video is my next biggest request, and if I'm too greedy, shoot me, but I'd like to have zoomable resolution in the rack. Those labels and controls are just too dang small for this old man to use 'em well...

Anyway, thanks Props!

_Dave_
Like they did with the Europa VST?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

25 Aug 2018

25 Aug 2018
Creativemind wrote:
25 Aug 2018

+1.

miscend

25 Aug 2018

Zac wrote:
24 Aug 2018
Obviously I'm guessing here but I'd be very surprised that while the 'task force' are working on the inner workings of the program to improve vst performance that they didn't also look at things like higher resolution because that issue is only ever going to get more pertinent.

I'm also hoping that improved vst performance might also equal improved RE performance?
REs have always been produced with high resolution art assets. So I’m guessing there is already a plan for high resolutions, it just hasn’t been implemented yet because they have to redo all the old rack devices.

miscend

25 Aug 2018

Creativemind wrote:
24 Aug 2018

I disagree. I too think they're a bit late to the game but they're getting there. I think probably by Reason 12, Reason could surpass Logic, Ableton and FL Studio as these other daws don't have much else to add do they? so Reason can only catch up, if not surpass, as it's a unique software with the wiring etc.
I doubt Reason will ever have all the features of those other DAWs. For example it’s unlikely we’ll ever get a score/music notation editor like Logic has. I don’t think programs like Cakewalk Sonar work very well because they try to do too many things.

motuscott

25 Aug 2018

NekujaK wrote:
25 Aug 2018
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I totally appreciate the Props slow and steady approach to development. It requires a lot of careful thought and planning to integrate new features into the Reason eco system that work smoothly and reliably
Hear hear
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

selig
RE Developer

25 Aug 2018

miscend wrote:
25 Aug 2018
I doubt Reason will ever have all the features of those other DAWs.
True.
And as others have pointed it, it's just as unlikely any other DAW will ever have all the features of Reason.
Selig Audio, LLC

DOEXmusic

25 Aug 2018

Nice! Glad they are working hard and also really happy to see they are working on the VST performance! Can´t wait for that update.

two shoes

26 Aug 2018

The take away from this update along with Mattias' comments in the Reason 11 features thread the other day is that Pheads are finally beginning to get the message that they need to pay more attention to their existing userbase and devote more of their development resources towards the things people who are actually using Reason to make music every day want most. Seeing this gives me the confidence to continue investing in the Reason platform with an eye towards migrating to it as my primary DAW once a few more boxes like vst midi io get checked.

While this approach might not attract new customers as quickly as flashy new content, it's the path to long term success and a healthy Reason ecosystem. From what I understand Reason has always been a very stable program with relatively few bugs compared to some of the other major DAWs. If they can fix the performance and hi res display issues and begin to bring the sequencer up to date I think Reason has a bright future. Happy users who get the features and functionality they want will spend more money in the shop and say nicer things about Reason and Propellerhead irl and online, and that's going to grow both the Reason platform and Propellerhead's profits organically in the long run.

Undistraction

26 Aug 2018

Definitely nice to see some basic improvements at last, but just remember what the most wanted features were. None of these have been addressed: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7507823&p=404144&hilit=poll#p404144

Creativemind

26 Aug 2018

They've added 128th note to the snap as well. Needed that enough times before. Mainly when Importing an audio clip and I want to chop the silence at the beginning off. I zoom in (while the clip is at the beginning of the track) and then try dragging the beginning of the audio clip from left to right with 1/16th note applied. If that jumps over the beginning of the audio I then try 1/32nd, then 1/64th. Now I'll be able to try 1/128th note. Brilliant. Yes I know I could turn the snap off but that's just guessing. I like doing things more regimented. It would be great if you could automatically do this removing silence from the beginning of an audio clip.

madmacman

26 Aug 2018

Creativemind wrote:
26 Aug 2018
They've added 128th note to the snap as well. Needed that enough times before. Mainly when Importing an audio clip and I want to chop the silence at the beginning off.
I do this always with transient detection: Double click audio for editing, select the very first split point, then use "Split at slices" function. (manual p.205)

Creativemind

26 Aug 2018

madmacman wrote:
26 Aug 2018
Creativemind wrote:
26 Aug 2018
They've added 128th note to the snap as well. Needed that enough times before. Mainly when Importing an audio clip and I want to chop the silence at the beginning off.
I do this always with transient detection: Double click audio for editing, select the very first split point, then use "Split at slices" function. (manual p.205)
Just tried this, it works brilliantly.
Thank You!
:)

Oquasec

26 Aug 2018

There's rewire for all these missing features but I'm glad to see ANYTHING NEW happen to Reason's existing timeline.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Creativemind

26 Aug 2018

Undistraction wrote:
26 Aug 2018
Definitely nice to see some basic improvements at last, but just remember what the most wanted features were. None of these have been addressed: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7507823&p=404144&hilit=poll#p404144
The top 5 on that poll were:-

1) Resolution improvements
2) Combinator 2
3) Freeze Tracks / Audio Improvements
4) Sequencer Folder / Groups
5) GUI Window options (Freely able to detach / resize / glue etc all windows).

This was from a very limited selection of choices and not what Propellerhead would base a requested feature on. They will be going off features that people have e-mailed or contacted them about more than likely.

No Midi Editing improvements on that poll. Cloning clips I'd really like to see and Manual Parameter Inputs, an Undo Events List, Notepad and Time Markers too.

A Combinator 2 is most likely on their agenda. Heard this plenty of times and will more than likely be a whole update feature most likely in Reason 11.

EnochLight

26 Aug 2018

Creativemind wrote:
26 Aug 2018
A Combinator 2 is most likely on their agenda.
Agreed. Probably like audio recording and VST support was on their agenda in Reason 1.0... :D

teehee.jpg
teehee.jpg (17.6 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Oquasec

26 Aug 2018

The SSL mixer is the combinator 2
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Catblack

26 Aug 2018

What was that option called where you get auto-alt lanes when you are recording midi in a loop? Comp lanes for midi? Something like that? That's the one I want to see more than anything.

I just want to have the option to hit record and play what I feel. Some sort of auto tempo detection of midi clips (which would write the results to the tempo automation lane would be great too. Usually the only time I'm recording midi and staying in time is if I've got an lfo or a tremolo or something in the sound keeping me there.

I've probably got 300 reason song files that would benefit from improvements in this area.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

• Information