Reason 10.2 with workflow improvements. - OUT NOW

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Karim
Competition Winner

03 Oct 2018

Timmy Crowne wrote:
23 Aug 2018
YES! The ghost track feature will speed up harmonically dense compositions big-time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technically it's "ghost notes" ... not track.
Ghost track is another interesting feature that only Cubase and Studio One has :roll:
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Jagwah

03 Oct 2018

Karim wrote:
03 Oct 2018
Timmy Crowne wrote:
23 Aug 2018
YES! The ghost track feature will speed up harmonically dense compositions big-time!

Ghost track is another interesting feature that only Cubase and Studio One has :roll:
Could we say ghost clips? :)

antic604

03 Oct 2018

Karim wrote:
03 Oct 2018
What does it do?

EnochLight

03 Oct 2018

Karim wrote:
03 Oct 2018
As a Studio One user, I'd love to know more about this. Please explain, because I can't find any YouTube videos for "ghost track" in Studio One (it just points to MIDI ghost notes)...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

QVprod

03 Oct 2018

Karim wrote:
03 Oct 2018
Timmy Crowne wrote:
23 Aug 2018

It's the same thing. I've used it in Studio One and I don't see any differences in the functionality. Both allow you to see notes from other tracks.

WongoTheSane

03 Oct 2018

QVprod wrote:
03 Oct 2018
Karim wrote:
03 Oct 2018

It's the same thing. I've used it in Studio One and I don't see any differences in the functionality. Both allow you to see notes from other tracks.
I think Karim is referring to the capability to create "ghost" copies of clips: they behave exactly like the original, but if you edit the original, all ghost copies inherit those changes in real time (as opposed to what we have in Reason: duplicate a clip three times, you get four completely independent clips; if you want to propagate changes made to the first one, you have to delete the three copies and duplicate again). Additionally, if you edit a ghost copy in Cubase, it becomes a "real" clip, independent from the clip it was a ghost of, originally. It's quite convenient.

EnochLight

03 Oct 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
03 Oct 2018
I think Karim is referring to the capability to create "ghost" copies of clips: they behave exactly like the original, but if you edit the original, all ghost copies inherit those changes in real time.
Funny enough, this is almost exactly how Reason's own Blocks work. Would be cool to see it implemented in the linear song mode, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

QVprod

03 Oct 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
03 Oct 2018
QVprod wrote:
03 Oct 2018

I think Karim is referring to the capability to create "ghost" copies of clips: they behave exactly like the original, but if you edit the original, all ghost copies inherit those changes in real time (as opposed to what we have in Reason: duplicate a clip three times, you get four completely independent clips; if you want to propagate changes made to the first one, you have to delete the three copies and duplicate again). Additionally, if you edit a ghost copy in Cubase, it becomes a "real" clip, independent from the clip it was a ghost of, originally. It's quite convenient.
Ah ok. Studio One doesn't have that feature. There's the arranger track that functions similarly to Blocks in Reason with the added bonus of being able to change duplicate sections more easily.

antic604

04 Oct 2018

QVprod wrote:
03 Oct 2018
WongoTheSane wrote:
03 Oct 2018

Ah ok. Studio One doesn't have that feature. There's the arranger track that functions similarly to Blocks in Reason with the added bonus of being able to change duplicate sections more easily.
Sure it does. It's called "Duplicate shared" - just drag the clip & hold Ctrl (I think):

Loque

04 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
04 Oct 2018
QVprod wrote:
03 Oct 2018

Sure it does. It's called "Duplicate shared" - just drag the clip & hold Ctrl (I think):
Isnt that something like "Blocks" in Reason? Tbh, i did not really understood Blocks yet.
Reason12, Win10

madmacman

04 Oct 2018

Loque wrote:
04 Oct 2018
Isnt that something like "Blocks" in Reason? Tbh, i did not really understood Blocks yet.
From what I understood: "Blocks" are more like complete patterns (as in the early days of non-linear sequencers). While the "ghost clips" (or whatever they are named) are dependent references of individual single midi clips.

antic604

04 Oct 2018

Loque wrote:
04 Oct 2018
antic604 wrote:
04 Oct 2018

No. Duplicate shared works for single clip(s), whereas blocks works for a full vertical slice (all tracks) and obviously can include many clips. This is probably the best showcase of how Blocks works and why they're awesome:

craven

04 Oct 2018

I might use block mode more if blocks could be layered. That would give me more freedom including blocks in my workflow. Wait, that's how FL does it, right? Anyway, the ability to draw over blocks in the sequencer and mute clips is powerful when used right. Still wouldn't mind a blocks launcher!
:ugeek:

Creativemind

04 Oct 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
03 Oct 2018
QVprod wrote:
03 Oct 2018

Oh yeah I started a thread ages ago to asking what that feature is. It isn't called Ghost Tracks (I don't think). I was told it was Aliasing or Cloning clips and it's one of my most wanted features for Reason. I've used it in FL Studio and it's one of them things that once used it feels prehistoric or cumbersome to go back to any other way.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

tiker01

04 Oct 2018

Creativemind wrote:
04 Oct 2018
WongoTheSane wrote:
03 Oct 2018

Oh yeah I started a thread ages ago to asking what that feature is. It isn't called Ghost Tracks (I don't think). I was told it was Aliasing or Cloning clips and it's one of my most wanted features for Reason. I've used it in FL Studio and it's one of them things that once used it feels prehistoric or cumbersome to go back to any other way.
It is basically what blocks does but on clip level.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

tronam

04 Oct 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
03 Oct 2018
QVprod wrote:
03 Oct 2018

In Logic they're called MIDI aliases (or clones for audio clips) and this goes back 15+ years. I’ve been noticing lots of young YouTubers these days talking about features added to more recents programs like Live, FL Studio and Studio One, proclaiming them to be groundbreaking when they’ve actually been in “the big 3” for ages. The funniest recent example of this was a major Ableton Live channel raving about Live 10’s new Capture feature as though it were a major innovation never seen in other DAWs before. Logic has had this since the late 90s. :roll:
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

antic604

04 Oct 2018

craven wrote:
04 Oct 2018
I might use block mode more if blocks could be layered. That would give me more freedom including blocks in my workflow.
How would that work if you had MIDI, audio or automation in both Blocks on the same track - would one of them always had priority? Or would you expect some kind of cross-fade between them? In the end I think it's a really minor issue - if you want a transition, it will typically involve limited number of tracks, so just layer them over the currently playing block and done.

antic604

04 Oct 2018

tronam wrote:
04 Oct 2018
I’ve been noticing lots of young YouTubers these days talking about features added to more recents programs like Live, FL Studio and Studio One, proclaiming them to be groundbreaking when they’ve actually been in “the big 3” for ages. The funniest recent example of this was a major Ableton Live channel raving about Live 10’s new Capture feature as though it were a major innovation never seen in other DAWs before. Logic has had this since the late 90s. :roll:
Right! Thanks God Reason really is on the forefront of innovation with stuff like editing multiple MIDI clips, moving multiple faders, playhead returning to beginning or dynamic grid ;) :D

EnochLight

04 Oct 2018

tronam wrote:
04 Oct 2018
In Logic they're called MIDI aliases (or clones for audio clips) and this goes back 15+ years. I’ve been noticing lots of young YouTubers these days talking about features added to more recents programs like Live, FL Studio and Studio One, proclaiming them to be groundbreaking when they’ve actually been in “the big 3” for ages. The funniest recent example of this was a major Ableton Live channel raving about Live 10’s new Capture feature as though it were a major innovation never seen in other DAWs before. Logic has had this since the late 90s. :roll:
Exactly! This is a rare example of Apple actually doing something first while others follow and claim to be groundbreaking, as opposed to everything Apple has done for the past 10-15 years (iPhone, iOS, iPad - I'm looking at you).. :puf_bigsmile:
antic604 wrote:
04 Oct 2018
Right! Thanks God Reason really is on the forefront of innovation with stuff like editing multiple MIDI clips, moving multiple faders, playhead returning to beginning or dynamic grid ;) :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

trollface.jpg
trollface.jpg (24.64 KiB) Viewed 2557 times
Oh you guys!

QVprod

04 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
04 Oct 2018
QVprod wrote:
03 Oct 2018

Wow! Didn't know that, that's pretty cool. Must have been added in version 2 or earlier which could be why I wasn't aware of it. I bought Studio One 2 not too long before version 3 was announced.

Prints

04 Oct 2018

I just got FL Studio, and only played with it for about half an hour yesterday, but the integration of its step sequencer, and the ease/fluidity of taking patterns, and using them in song mode really clicks with me. I feel Reason's dependence on step sequencers as rack devices, and the need to export the midi data from them in order to add them to the song are detrimental to the workflow experience. I'm switching my focus to FL Studio, and am going to be investing in plugins for it from now on.

QVprod

04 Oct 2018

Prints wrote:
04 Oct 2018
I just got FL Studio, and only played with it for about half an hour yesterday, but the integration of its step sequencer, and the ease/fluidity of taking patterns, and using them in song mode really clicks with me. I feel Reason's dependence on step sequencers as rack devices, and the need to export the midi data from them in order to add them to the song are detrimental to the workflow experience. I'm switching my focus to FL Studio, and am going to be investing in plugins for it from now on.
It's worth noting that you don't have to export midi from step sequencers to add them to the song. You can actually use pattern automation to trigger which patterns play leaving all notes within the step sequencers themselves. That said, if your music is mainly based on step sequencers, I can understand the appeal of a program specifically built around step sequencing.

antic604

04 Oct 2018

Prints wrote:
04 Oct 2018
I feel Reason's dependence on step sequencers as rack devices, and the need to export the midi data from them in order to add them to the song are detrimental to the workflow experience. I'm switching my focus to FL Studio, and am going to be investing in plugins for it from now on.
What? You can just put the notes into MIDI clips, without using any sequencers. You can even "paint" pattern clips in the sequencer, if you insist Reason is dependent on them.

I'm not saying FL isn't better for this, but seems like you don't know the basics of how Reason works...

buddard
RE Developer

04 Oct 2018

tronam wrote:
04 Oct 2018
In Logic they're called MIDI aliases (or clones for audio clips) and this goes back 15+ years.
I remember using "Ghost parts" in Cubase 2.0 for Atari ST back in 1991, i e 27 years ago! :D

Prints

04 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
04 Oct 2018
Prints wrote:
04 Oct 2018
I feel Reason's dependence on step sequencers as rack devices, and the need to export the midi data from them in order to add them to the song are detrimental to the workflow experience. I'm switching my focus to FL Studio, and am going to be investing in plugins for it from now on.
What? You can just put the notes into MIDI clips, without using any sequencers. You can even "paint" pattern clips in the sequencer, if you insist Reason is dependent on them.

I'm not saying FL isn't better for this, but seems like you don't know the basics of how Reason works...
I'm referring to the use of step sequencers on each platform. I did not communicate that Reason is dependent on step sequencers. If chaining different patterns is desired when using Redrum in Reason, the midi data from Redrum either needs to be exported as midi notes, or the pattern changes need to be automated manually while recording, or by going into various menus, and selecting various options to "paint" them to the sequencer.

On FL Studio, all the different patterns created on the integrated step sequencer are visually displayed right next to the song window, and they can just be placed wherever you want in the song. The step sequencer in FL Studio can be stretched out to 32 steps too. There's also a graph editor built into the step sequencer that can be accessed by clicking an icon that allows editing of pitch, velocity, mod, shift, etc for each step. One click can open the piano roll for any sound in the step sequencer, and more options for editing things (such as creating triplets) become available. The integration of FL Studio's step sequencer with its piano roll and song mode is primarily what I find makes creating drum beats on FL Studio so much more enjoyable.

• Information