Reason 10.2 with workflow improvements. - OUT NOW

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
S1GNL

27 Sep 2018

gullum wrote:
27 Sep 2018
Makis wrote:
27 Sep 2018
Excellent new features except that tutorial tab.
I haven't read the whole thread but is it just me that finds the new tutorial tab completely useless. Is there an option to remove it ?
I understand it is useful for many users especially new ones but it also takes space without reason.

P.S.So excited about what comes next
your not alone I see no point in having it there permanently, hopefully all new user get to a point where they don't need to look up on everything they do.

the return to start should be an option on the transporter like enabling loop button and not hidden away in the preference, there are times you might need it and other times where the stop is better. but there are some great things in here for sure
I haven't updated yet, but can't you just set a key combo for what you've described?

C//AZM

27 Sep 2018

Oh and thank you for the multiple fader moves!! Very much needed function.
...and the ghost track editing thing, haven't tried it yet but I'm sure it will save lots of time editing a phrase over several tracks.

C//AZM

27 Sep 2018

S1GNL wrote:
27 Sep 2018
gullum wrote:
27 Sep 2018

your not alone I see no point in having it there permanently, hopefully all new user get to a point where they don't need to look up on everything they do.

the return to start should be an option on the transporter like enabling loop button and not hidden away in the preference, there are times you might need it and other times where the stop is better. but there are some great things in here for sure
I haven't updated yet, but can't you just set a key combo for what you've described?
One thing which would help tremendously would be an "On Context Tutorial". This means that which ever function or operation is selected, the tutorial would describe and Tutor on that specific thing. Create a combinator and the tutorial has Combinator as tutorial, select an EQ and the subject changes to the EQ, select the fast button on the expander and Voila, there's the tutorial.

Creativemind

27 Sep 2018

C//AZM wrote:
27 Sep 2018
One thing which would help tremendously would be an "On Context Tutorial". This means that which ever function or operation is selected, the tutorial would describe and Tutor on that specific thing. Create a combinator and the tutorial has Combinator as tutorial, select an EQ and the subject changes to the EQ, select the fast button on the expander and Voila, there's the tutorial.
Bangin' idea! :)
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Loque

27 Sep 2018

Creativemind wrote:
27 Sep 2018
C//AZM wrote:
27 Sep 2018
I remember Live had a good context sensitive help, that displayed stuff for everything i was actually working on. And sometimes there were links to more info. Helped me a lot. Disabled it after e days, but without it I had tried for weeks to get through the program.
Reason12, Win10

Creativemind

28 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
27 Sep 2018
Creativemind wrote:
27 Sep 2018

I remember Live had a good context sensitive help, that displayed stuff for everything i was actually working on. And sometimes there were links to more info. Helped me a lot. Disabled it after e days, but without it I had tried for weeks to get through the program.
Yes I remember that from when I was using Ableton a bit at college.
Last edited by Creativemind on 30 Sep 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Makis

28 Sep 2018

Adabler wrote:
27 Sep 2018
Makis wrote:
27 Sep 2018
Is there an option to remove it ?
Under the options menu.

I also love that you can turn off blocks!
Thanks!

miscend

28 Sep 2018

C//AZM wrote:
27 Sep 2018
Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 4.48.56 PM.pngEvery Sequencer I've ever loved has had a Play/Start button. A Play Triangle with a vertical dash next to it. And if it didn't, then it had a PAUSE button which is what the Reason button actually does. It pauses, then continues from where it left off.

I love this new addition because it's what I was always used to from MPC60 and MPC 3000, Studio Vision and several other DAWS.
Yes Akai MPC's are like that. I think they should have a modifier key like shift to enable to switch to a play/start button instead of pause.

selig
RE Developer

28 Sep 2018

C//AZM wrote:
Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 4.48.56 PM.png
Every Sequencer I've ever loved has had a Play/Start button. A Play Triangle with a vertical dash next to it. And if it didn't, then it had a PAUSE button which is what the Reason button actually does. It pauses, then continues from where it left off.

I love this new addition because it's what I was always used to from MPC60 and MPC 3000, Studio Vision and several other DAWS.
I agree, but isn’t a stop button on a tape machine ALSO a pause button by this definition?

The play start concept didn’t exist as a single command on physical machines…

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

C//AZM

28 Sep 2018

selig wrote:
28 Sep 2018
C//AZM wrote:Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 4.48.56 PM.pngEvery Sequencer I've ever loved has had a Play/Start button. A Play Triangle with a vertical dash next to it. And if it didn't, then it had a PAUSE button which is what the Reason button actually does. It pauses, then continues from where it left off.

I agree, but isn’t a stop button on a tape machine ALSO a pause button by this definition?

On tape machines? No, on Drum machines, yes. That was an improvement of something you can't do on tape machines. However, I would say the majority of the time I stopped on a tape machine was to rewind back to a selected marker time in order to re-record, stack, or listen back. In essence, that was a manual play/start.
I didn't often stop, just to continue on.
Plus in a ten hour session, I probably spent one hours worth of rewind time.

But like I said, every sequencer I've loved did have that feature. Look at the pictures of a few of the machines I posted.
Last edited by C//AZM on 28 Sep 2018, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

28 Sep 2018

C//AZM wrote:
selig wrote:
28 Sep 2018

On tape machines? No, on Drum machines, yes. That was an improvement and something you can't do on tape machines. I would say the majority of the time I stopped on a tape machine was to rewind back to a selected marker time in order to re-record, stack, or listen back. In essence, that was a manual play/start. I didn't often stop, just to continue on.
But like I said, every sequencer I've loved did have that feature. Look at the pictures of a few of the machines I posted.
I agree. And still agree! But pause means something different than stopping - that’s all I was saying!

What I need more as much as this new command is a way to mark a NEW start point as the transport plays, something I use ALL the time in Pro Tools when this mode is active.

Selig Audio, LLC

C//AZM

28 Sep 2018

selig wrote:
28 Sep 2018
C//AZM wrote: On tape machines? No, on Drum machines, yes. That was an improvement and something you can't do on tape machines. I would say the majority of the time I stopped on a tape machine was to rewind back to a selected marker time in order to re-record, stack, or listen back. In essence, that was a manual play/start. I didn't often stop, just to continue on.
I agree. And still agree! But pause means something different than stopping - that’s all I was saying!

What I need more as much as this new command is a way to mark a NEW start point as the transport plays, something I use ALL the time in Pro Tools when this mode is active.

Oh yeah, that's right. I didn't think of that, yes a new start point without having to stop and redo the selection.

TheGodOfRainbows

29 Sep 2018

I love multi-lane editing. I was dying without it. This will spare me so much frustration. I'm already using it constantly both in melodic/harmonic terms, and for drums.

One thing I don't see mentioned at all, is how slow sending notes to track with Players is. Am I the only one who thinks it takes way too long to render midi notes to the track. I noticed this from day one. I always thought why should there be any more than a second or two, but for me it seems to almost takes as long as it would to play that measure, like in real-time. So if I want to render notes to track for 8 measure, or a whole song, it can take like a full minute (or longer). That seems crazy to me. It's starting to get to really annoy me, since like I said, in my mind, it should almost be instant.

I have an i7-6700k, and 32GB RAM, clean pc with recent Windows install, and a Samsung SSD. It's not my pc.

Anyone else feel like me? Am I too impatient?

Troublemecca

29 Sep 2018

two shoes wrote:
OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
26 Sep 2018
Great update! I was worried about that Tutorial side bar until someone pointed out how to remove it in the Options menu. It would actually be nice to have the Mixer attached to that side of the Reason window to quickly pop out and adjust levels.
I’d really like this too. The SSL mixer is so long vertically I’d love to have the option to make it a collapsible vertical window like the browser but on the right hand side. On a big enough monitor or a laptop you can have the rack and sequencer in the middle flanked by the browser left and a few channels of the mixer or the master and sends on the right - single screen environment like Traktion or Bitwig. At the very least this should be an option. Can’t be that hard to add can it?
I would love it if ALL the windows could be that way... Much like they are now, but done vertically, like sliding doors... I find the horizontal way disorienting, and you end up seeing very little of the windows' contents anyway...

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Jagwah

30 Sep 2018

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
29 Sep 2018
I love multi-lane editing. I was dying without it. This will spare me so much frustration. I'm already using it constantly both in melodic/harmonic terms, and for drums.

One thing I don't see mentioned at all, is how slow sending notes to track with Players is. Am I the only one who thinks it takes way too long to render midi notes to the track. I noticed this from day one. I always thought why should there be any more than a second or two, but for me it seems to almost takes as long as it would to play that measure, like in real-time. So if I want to render notes to track for 8 measure, or a whole song, it can take like a full minute (or longer). That seems crazy to me. It's starting to get to really annoy me, since like I said, in my mind, it should almost be instant.

I have an i7-6700k, and 32GB RAM, clean pc with recent Windows install, and a Samsung SSD. It's not my pc.

Anyone else feel like me? Am I too impatient?
I agree the new multi-lane editing is great, I see why people have been wanting it for so long.

As for notes to track the render time on my end is usually pretty much instant, though it's only been short phrases. There must be some issue for yours to be taking as long as you say.

Have you tried the CV Player Tap Player for sending notes to track? https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... layer-tap/

guitfnky

30 Sep 2018

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
29 Sep 2018
that is pretty strange, now that you mention it. I’d noticed that it takes a while before, but it never occurred to me that it shouldn’t take that long, until you said something. it makes sense why rendering audio takes a bit of time, due to all the necessary processing, but you’d think just plotting MIDI notes would be near instantaneous, since it’s usually just a note and a velocity. even with the random stuff (random arp positions/probability-based stuff, etc.), it seems like it shouldn’t be hard for a modern computer to calc all that *really* quickly.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

rcbuse
RE Developer

30 Sep 2018

guitfnky wrote:
30 Sep 2018
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
29 Sep 2018
that is pretty strange, now that you mention it. I’d noticed that it takes a while before, but it never occurred to me that it shouldn’t take that long, until you said something. it makes sense why rendering audio takes a bit of time, due to all the necessary processing, but you’d think just plotting MIDI notes would be near instantaneous, since it’s usually just a note and a velocity. even with the random stuff (random arp positions/probability-based stuff, etc.), it seems like it shouldn’t be hard for a modern computer to calc all that *really* quickly.
The "Send to Track" function on the players is just like the "Bounce in Place" function on clips, but instead of rendering out audio it renders out MIDI. There isn't any difference internally on the devices for playing in real time and using these render functions. The only difference is Reason will process it as fast as the CPU will allow. So if you have a bunch of players stacked and some CV connected, its going to have to render all that out to calculate the final midi.

guitfnky

30 Sep 2018

rcbuse wrote:
30 Sep 2018
The "Send to Track" function on the players is just like the "Bounce in Place" function on clips, but instead of rendering out audio it renders out MIDI. There isn't any difference internally on the devices for playing in real time and using these render functions. The only difference is Reason will process it as fast as the CPU will allow. So if you have a bunch of players stacked and some CV connected, its going to have to render all that out to calculate the final midi.
that sort of makes it even more confusing, to me. why would they choose to use the same process to render MIDI that they use for audio? 🤔

I thought bounce in place also goes as fast as the CPU will allow? that said, I have a hard time believing it takes that long for a late model four-core processor to figure out when a note will occur, which note it is, and its length and velocity. seems like even with a bunch of stacked players, that should not hit the CPU hard enough to take more than a second or two, for, say, a four bar section.

but then, I’m no programmer, so I definitely don’t know everything that goes into that. it just seems strange to me, is all.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

buddard
RE Developer

30 Sep 2018

guitfnky wrote:
30 Sep 2018
rcbuse wrote:
30 Sep 2018
that sort of makes it even more confusing, to me. why would they choose to use the same process to render MIDI that they use for audio? 🤔
It's because Players can be automated (directly or via a containing combi), and they can also have CV inputs, so basically anything in the rack can affect the final output. So I think they simply render the whole rack for the interval you specified, and then just record the output of the player stack you're bouncing.

Loque

30 Sep 2018

I really like the ghost notes, makes things way easier. Sadly this feature is only half implemented. It is impossible to arrange a sample while checking the notes of another lane. Arranging the pitch or rhythm to a different lane or a sample is not possible while editing a sample. I realy hope, they gonna add this in the next updates or releases.
Reason12, Win10

TheGodOfRainbows

01 Oct 2018

guitfnky wrote:
30 Sep 2018
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
29 Sep 2018
"you’d think just plotting MIDI notes would be near instantaneous, since it’s usually just a note and a velocity. even with the random stuff (random arp positions/probability-based stuff, etc.)"

Yes! I would think even complex stacks would be almost instant. I have just started doing tests with sending notes to track with a new empty song, and what do you know, it's MUCH faster than usual for me. I will say though, that I often DO have big projects with many tracks, and several players throughout. And I even do things like use an LFO to modulate some player parameters when in Combinator. For example, I'll randomize the step length, pitch and number of repeats via LFO. That surely is part of it. BUT STILL THO!

I'll continue testing.

TheGodOfRainbows

01 Oct 2018

rcbuse wrote:
30 Sep 2018
guitfnky wrote:
30 Sep 2018

Well, having players stacked, with LFO (CV) in Combinators is exactly what I do a lot. So. That's the problem it seams. D:

TheGodOfRainbows

01 Oct 2018

buddard wrote:
30 Sep 2018
guitfnky wrote:
30 Sep 2018

It's because Players can be automated (directly or via a containing combi), and they can also have CV inputs, so basically anything in the rack can affect the final output. So I think they simply render the whole rack for the interval you specified, and then just record the output of the player stack you're bouncing.
Thanks guys for explaining. Modulating players via cv and or automation is exactly what I do. I just wish it was faster. After doing a quick test with basic players going, nothing fancy. It's night and day different. I guess I'm just really using the heck out of players so hard, I'm slowing it all down.

Is there any chance that process could be sped up with future updates and optimizations?

Sorry if I'm derailing thread.

Creativemind

01 Oct 2018

Yeah, Multi-lane Editing is so handy. Gonna be using that a lot.

ast3rix

02 Oct 2018

I love these new additions!!! I have been migrating over to a new machine and working on the new version. Things are looking really good. Thank you Props!!!!

• Information