Reason 10.2 with workflow improvements. - OUT NOW

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

04 Oct 2018

tronam wrote:
04 Oct 2018
I’ve been noticing lots of young YouTubers these days talking about features added to more recents programs like Live, FL Studio and Studio One, proclaiming them to be groundbreaking when they’ve actually been in “the big 3” for ages. The funniest recent example of this was a major Ableton Live channel raving about Live 10’s new Capture feature as though it were a major innovation never seen in other DAWs before. Logic has had this since the late 90s. :roll:
Is that Logic's "Capture Last Recording"? 'cause that's another genius idea. In FL Studio it's called Dump to Piano roll. Come on Props...."Dump to Midi Editor" for Reason please! ;)
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

tronam

05 Oct 2018

buddard wrote:
04 Oct 2018
tronam wrote:
04 Oct 2018
In Logic they're called MIDI aliases (or clones for audio clips) and this goes back 15+ years.
I remember using "Ghost parts" in Cubase 2.0 for Atari ST back in 1991, i e 27 years ago! :D
What's old is new again! :) Considering many of these original pioneering programs predate the mainstream Internet, it's more difficult to even track down information about their earliest incarnations. Tweakheadz.com has a nicely detailed, chronological history of Logic, but I'd love to find something similar for Cubase.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

tronam

05 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
04 Oct 2018
Right! Thanks God Reason really is on the forefront of innovation with stuff like editing multiple MIDI clips, moving multiple faders, playhead returning to beginning or dynamic grid ;) :D
To be fair, for many years Propellerhead was content with Reason just being a fun instrument rack sandbox with a simple sequencer without any intention of competing against the major DAWs. I kind of admired their quirky stubbornness over the years to maintain their independence and run against the grain of the industry. They're playing catchup these days, but I want them to survive and will continue upgrading to help ensure they do. Oh, and I still love using Reason too. :)
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

xbitz

06 Oct 2018

craven wrote:
04 Oct 2018
I might use block mode more if blocks could be layered. That would give me more freedom including blocks in my workflow. Wait, that's how FL does it, right? Anyway, the ability to draw over blocks in the sequencer and mute clips is powerful when used right. Still wouldn't mind a blocks launcher!
block offset can be set on per block clip bases

so it can be used as pattern selector on block level, ofc. all the pattern based sequencer like https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... ompulsion/ also good if we need triggerable clips

... block layering would be super cool ofc. :mrgreen: muted tracks of the block layers should be definitely transparent
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

Undistraction

07 Oct 2018

Being able to link multiple clips so editing one edits all is (other than hidpi support and a new combinator) probably the thing I would like to see implemented the most. I wish they'd just get rid of Blocks or at least allow us to remove it from the UI.

antic604

07 Oct 2018

Undistraction wrote:
07 Oct 2018
I wish they'd just get rid of Blocks or at least allow us to remove it from the UI.
WFT? That you don't use it doesn't mean others do not! Also, you can remove it (I guess you mean the Blocks line) in Options / Disable Blocks...

Agree on everything else, though :)

selig
RE Developer

07 Oct 2018

Creativemind wrote:
tronam wrote:
04 Oct 2018
I’ve been noticing lots of young YouTubers these days talking about features added to more recents programs like Live, FL Studio and Studio One, proclaiming them to be groundbreaking when they’ve actually been in “the big 3” for ages. The funniest recent example of this was a major Ableton Live channel raving about Live 10’s new Capture feature as though it were a major innovation never seen in other DAWs before. Logic has had this since the late 90s. :roll:
Is that Logic's "Capture Last Recording"? 'cause that's another genius idea. In FL Studio it's called Dump to Piano roll. Come on Props...."Dump to Midi Editor" for Reason please! ;)
Even back in 1986 when I was moving from hardware to using personal computers for sequencing, Total Music and MIDI Paint had features I still wish Reason had like the ability to loop tracks independently for loop start, loop length, and loop repeats. Also, the ability to simply “paint” in a string of notes like so many sequencers can also do today, or to select the “X” of every “Y” events, or to view MIDI data in list view, or quantize duration, add accents, filter data before recording (I’m looking at you, aftertouch), “wait for note” when recording, step entry using sustain pedal for rests, auto punch in/out, SMPTE support, etc…

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Creativemind

07 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
07 Oct 2018
Creativemind wrote:
Even back in 1986 when I was moving from hardware to using personal computers for sequencing, Total Music and MIDI Paint had features I still wish Reason had like the ability to loop tracks independently for loop start, loop length, and loop repeats. Also, the ability to simply “paint” in a string of notes like so many sequencers can also do today, or to select the “X” of every “Y” events, or to view MIDI data in list view, or quantize duration, add accents, filter data before recording (I’m looking at you, aftertouch), “wait for note” when recording, step entry using sustain pedal for rests, auto punch in/out, SMPTE support, etc…

That's a hefty list there Selig but then I'm one to talk! :lol:

The "Paint" one you mention, yeah that's a great idea. 2 features there that would really improve Reasons sequencer workflow, "Cloning Clips" and a "Paint" Tool added to the tools. In FL Studio, the "Cloning Clips" remembers the clip colour, clip label and all the midi data contained within the clip. Such a time saver and the "Paint" tool would be great for quickly painting clips into the sequencer. The ability to use it in the midi editor would also be essential for me, to paint quick snare rolls for instance.

Another big sequencer workflow improver would be "Time Markers" that you could assign keyboard shortcuts to so you could quickly skip to sections of a song and also shortcuts for the time markers where you could automatically assign the L/R locators to that section and things like that.

I didn't quite understand what you meant with the first 3 you mentioned. Loop independently thing? What did you mean by the "X" of every "Y" thing too?

As for midi data in list view, did you mean like a midi tracker?

Creativemind

07 Oct 2018

tronam wrote:
05 Oct 2018
antic604 wrote:
04 Oct 2018
Right! Thanks God Reason really is on the forefront of innovation with stuff like editing multiple MIDI clips, moving multiple faders, playhead returning to beginning or dynamic grid ;) :D
To be fair, for many years Propellerhead was content with Reason just being a fun instrument rack sandbox with a simple sequencer without any intention of competing against the major DAWs. I kind of admired their quirky stubbornness over the years to maintain their independence and run against the grain of the industry. They're playing catchup these days, but I want them to survive and will continue upgrading to help ensure they do. Oh, and I still love using Reason too. :)
Yes, I started using Reason at the end of 2012 and it wasn't till about 2016, 3 and a half years or so in that it dawned on me (Yes I know, slow lol!) that Reason wasn't intended to be a fully fledged DAW. It was all about the wires, about the wires no treble :lol:

selig
RE Developer

07 Oct 2018

Creativemind wrote: That's a hefty list there Selig but then I'm one to talk! :lol:

The "Paint" one you mention, yeah that's a great idea. 2 features there that would really improve Reasons sequencer workflow, "Cloning Clips" and a "Paint" Tool added to the tools. In FL Studio, the "Cloning Clips" remembers the clip colour, clip label and all the midi data contained within the clip. Such a time saver and the "Paint" tool would be great for quickly painting clips into the sequencer. The ability to use it in the midi editor would also be essential for me, to paint quick snare rolls for instance.

Another big sequencer workflow improver would be "Time Markers" that you could assign keyboard shortcuts to so you could quickly skip to sections of a song and also shortcuts for the time markers where you could automatically assign the L/R locators to that section and things like that.

I didn't quite understand what you meant with the first 3 you mentioned. Loop independently thing? What did you mean by the "X" of every "Y" thing too?

As for midi data in list view, did you mean like a midi tracker?
Time markers would be very welcome IMO.
Loop: each track had it’s own loop markers basically, plus you could have it loop like 5 times (for example) then play on - or more commonly loop indefinitely. This allowed more like a “pattern” approach, where track one could be a two bar drum loop, track two a four bar bass loop, track three an 8 bar chord loop, etc.
The “x” of every “y” was in this app and Master Tracks Pro, where you could select the second of every third note and then do something (like accent it, or delete it, etc). More commonly you’d use it to select every other note (2nd of every 2) and move it later to shuffle, accent, transpose, or whatever.

List view is just the data, handy for seeing “what” is in a track more than “where” it is (like: is there any pitch bend in this track. You can also filter the view like with most other sequencers, so you can see after touch then delete it, or similar.

I thing one reason why these early sequencers had all these features and Reason does not, is that all they had to do was build a sequencer. Reason ALSO had to build a rack, and a BUNCH of devices, plus figure out how to do it economically since computers of that day were not very powerful compared to today. IF the same folks designed JUST a sequencer, I would imagine it would have looked MUCH different…

Selig Audio, LLC

craven

07 Oct 2018

xbitz wrote:
06 Oct 2018
craven wrote:
04 Oct 2018
I might use block mode more if blocks could be layered. That would give me more freedom including blocks in my workflow. Wait, that's how FL does it, right? Anyway, the ability to draw over blocks in the sequencer and mute clips is powerful when used right. Still wouldn't mind a blocks launcher!
block offset can be set on per block clip bases
so it can be used as pattern selector on block level, ofc. all the pattern based sequencer like https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... ompulsion/ also good if we need triggerable clips

... block layering would be super cool ofc. :mrgreen: muted tracks of the block layers should be definitely transparent
oh thanks, xbitz, that's a nice way of using the offset! I usually cut the full length blocks and rearrange, duplicate and delete parts but using the offset directly is smart!
:ugeek:

C//AZM

08 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
07 Oct 2018

... “wait for note” when recording, step entry using sustain pedal for rests, auto punch in/out, SMPTE support, etc…

Wait for Note! Such a simple ubiquitous little bit of functionality that's so common... at first I was like "of Course Reason has wait-for-note" but it doesn't. The other features plus nesting blocks, live block playing, SMPTE slaving, lots of other stuff we taken for granted since forever.

Loque

26 Oct 2018

I realy appreciate the workflow enhancements, they help me to stay in the flow while working. So easy now to create drums and note lanes and make them fit to each other. Also that new grid view... Just zoom in, arange, next.... So much quicker. Well done, propellerhead!
Reason12, Win10

Creativemind

26 Oct 2018

What's 'Wait For Note'? like waiting for a note to be played on your midi controller?
Last edited by Creativemind on 27 Oct 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Yonatan

27 Oct 2018

How much I love that one now can auto-route ind outs to new mixer channels!
Reason is a winner. For every little workflow feature added to the core software,
adds great value of the whole infrastructure, which gives RE market more value too.

So I hope that PH understands just how excited we are for every little step of development in the midi sequencer, audio editing etc. As well as player devices and the bigger additions for the point updates or version uppgrade. Reason is such a splendid DAW as an core idea and the way it makes one inpired, with or without wires.

I see some users seem to be of the opinion that Reason should not be a fully fledged DAW, just an cool plaything. I do not know what they really mean by that. Guess they use another DAW and use Reason for some starting inspiration. But I must disagree on that view. I do think Reason should reach high so that one can and want to do whole productions inside it.

We might use other DAWs or plugins now and then, but to be able to do it all in Reason, having that greatness of workflow, is of great value. I always in love with the all-in-one "workstation" concept. And I think Reason has such a potentiaI. I do have Logic and I find it nice as an option for certain things, as it has that workstation thing to it thanks to its comprehensive soundbanks, loops and instruments. But how I want Reason to sail its own ship, and I think it has nothing to be ashamed of in this regard. There are some lackings, but for every improvement I think it grows more in potential for every function than many other DAWs. For it is so well thought out concept from beginning, that it keeps inpire even when adding new looks on new devices and keeping old ones. I think it works to blend different styles. It keeps developing organically. A diversity unified in the platform. A creative heaven.

ljekio

27 Oct 2018

Creativemind wrote:
26 Oct 2018
What's 'Wait For Note'? like waiting for a note to be played on your mudi controller?
I guess its start transport when you play any note.

Creativemind

27 Oct 2018

ljekio wrote:
27 Oct 2018
Creativemind wrote:
26 Oct 2018
What's 'Wait For Note'? like waiting for a note to be played on your mudi controller?
I guess its start transport when you play any note.
I've corrected the spelling mistake now.

Yeah that's what I thought.

C//AZM

29 Oct 2018

Creativemind wrote:
26 Oct 2018
What's 'Wait For Note'? like waiting for a note to be played on your midi controller?
Yes exactly, it's an ancient functionality and simple. You hit the button, the click starts but waits for you and begins when you hit the first note. Simple, elegant and I can't believe Reason hasn't had it all these years.

selig
RE Developer

29 Oct 2018

C//AZM wrote:
Creativemind wrote:
26 Oct 2018
Yes exactly, it's an ancient functionality and simple. You hit the button, the click starts but waits for you and begins when you hit the first note. Simple, elegant and I can't believe Reason hasn't had it all these years.
Here’s the kicker: Reason Compact (Europa Lite?) does this by default: hit Record and the text says “Play When Ready” - as soon as you play a note, you’re recording.

So it’s not like they don’t:
a) know how to do this, and
b) know that it’s useful.

Selig Audio, LLC

Creativemind

29 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
29 Oct 2018
C//AZM wrote:
Here’s the kicker: Reason Compact (Europa Lite?) does this by default: hit Record and the text says “Play When Ready” - as soon as you play a note, you’re recording.

So it’s not like they don’t:
a) know how to do this, and
b) know that it’s useful.

Excellent, hope this is an indication in might be in the pipeline for Reason. :)

kitekrazy

31 Oct 2018

Talk about clueless. I just realized I can drag a midi file on to an instrument track without it opening an Id8. Now if I could only audition midi files from the browser that would be great. Some DAWs don't do that yet.

Oquasec

01 Nov 2018

Creativemind wrote:
26 Oct 2018
Wait for note's in:
Motu DP
FL Studio
Protools.

Infinite precount that activates only when you input midi data.
Useless, but very convenient feature to have in a daw.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

kitekrazy

01 Nov 2018

Creativemind wrote:
07 Oct 2018
tronam wrote:
05 Oct 2018

Yes, I started using Reason at the end of 2012 and it wasn't till about 2016, 3 and a half years or so in that it dawned on me (Yes I know, slow lol!) that Reason wasn't intended to be a fully fledged DAW. It was all about the wires, about the wires no treble :lol:
That's what I like about Reason.

hurricane
Competition Winner

02 Nov 2018

So what's cool about Reason NOW in late 2018, is that if I don't CARE about the wires, I can still make music with it, and it's still fun. When I used to mess with wires, I barely finished any music. Reminds me of something Herbie Hancock said when he was talking about programming synths:

"By the time you program this thing, you forgot what you were going to program it for."

So then he goes on about how he uses other people's presets because it frees him to "conceive", and THAT idea is what I think the Props have been gently hitting new users with - that you don't have to mess with wires to create music with Reason. And, in my opinion, I think that's great for Propellerhead and for the future of Reason.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

EnochLight

02 Nov 2018

hurricane wrote:
02 Nov 2018
So what's cool about Reason NOW in late 2018, is that if I don't CARE about the wires, I can still make music with it, and it's still fun. When I used to mess with wires, I barely finished any music. Reminds me of something Herbie Hancock said when he was talking about programming synths:

"By the time you program this thing, you forgot what you were going to program it for."

So then he goes on about how he uses other people's presets because it frees him to "conceive", and THAT idea is what I think the Props have been gently hitting new users with - that you don't have to mess with wires to create music with Reason. And, in my opinion, I think that's great for Propellerhead and for the future of Reason.
Right on. This is also the reason why I've mostly been a "preset tweaker" since day 1. Getting lost in programming sounds used to take me out of the conception phase too much.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information