Can someone help me with mixing my song?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
The Real Deanc2000

20 Aug 2018

I just finished my song, called "happy U made it". I've done some basic eqing, applying high pass and low pass filters, but it still sounds not optimal. Can someone help with this mix? Any assistance will help. Thanks.

Kalm

20 Aug 2018

Remember it's not just about applying filters. Depending on your direction, think about what balance you want. For me this is what I'll do. . .

1. Add some more harmonics or push your sub low end in the bass some. It sounds like it's falling out a ton.

2. There's a lot of low mid information in this track. While that's not an issue I would keep 1 or 2 instruments in that range. Maybe the synth and vocals, and then the synth and piano. Put other items and different places in the frequency range.

3. I can tell you want a slightly darker sound for your vocals. I really like the vocals in this track. However, a lot of your other instruments or very transient and I hear it spiking over top of your vocals. Listen to the snare, hi-hat and stuff. You may want a compressor or transient shaper to kill of 2-3 dB off the top to make sure they aren't getting smothered.

4. Personally, I would automate the amount of reverb send from the vocals to give a more sense of space and location based on the words you say. That would be a cool effect.

5. Because I am a hip-hop/rhythm guy. . . Please raise the kick. I'm missing the punch man lol.

Those are my top 5 after 2 listens.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

The Real Deanc2000

20 Aug 2018

Thanks for the comments. I went back and worked alot on the vocals. It sounded very rumbly still, and the high pass was already at 172db. So I raised it to around 300, and the rumble went away. I raised the kik a bit, but I try to hold the kik and bass low until I get to the Pre-chor, then try to max them in the chorus.

Regarding the reverb, it is a bit problematic. I went back and turned on the high pass on the reverb, to see if it was less problematic, but it didn't help much. I mixed in mono this time, and it's turned out a little bit better.

• Information