Soprano Sax in Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
skie

19 Aug 2018

Anybody know of a good, natural sounding Soprano Sax instrument in Reason? Vintage Horns doesn't have a soprano and the one in the FSB sounds like a kazoo...FYI Soprano is the one like in Dave Brubek Take 5.

joeyluck

19 Aug 2018

+1 for SWAM!

I currently only own the strings VSTs, but am using the saxes and woodwinds in Roli's Noise app on iOS and they sound fanitastic! I imagine I may get more of the VSTs next time there's a sale...maybe Black Friday

jayhosking

19 Aug 2018

Joey, now that we’re on this: how do the VSTs sound compared to the SWAM packs on the Noise app? It’s such a dramatic jump in price that I’ve always wondered how it can be worth it, since the Noise packs sound so great.

joeyluck

19 Aug 2018

jayhosking wrote:
19 Aug 2018
Joey, now that we’re on this: how do the VSTs sound compared to the SWAM packs on the Noise app? It’s such a dramatic jump in price that I’ve always wondered how it can be worth it, since the Noise packs sound so great.
With the Noise packs you don't have control over any settings. And when it comes to the strings, I certainly prefer the VSTs much more because I prefer to use different instrument models than the ones in the Noise Packs and different settings for things like string resonance, bow pressure, bow noise, rosin, etc. The reverb in the Noise Pack I don't think can be changed. You have to change patches to change articulations. And with the VSTs I can assign other controllers along with my Seaboard Block like the Leap Motion. In short, the Noise Packs are very limited in comparison. I also got the string bundle during the Black Friday sale last year.

CephaloPod

20 Aug 2018

Sometimes you just gotta get your Kenny G on.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

skie

23 Aug 2018

CephaloPod wrote:
20 Aug 2018
Sometimes you just gotta get your Kenny G on.
I really felt this.

selig
RE Developer

23 Aug 2018

Always assumed it was alto sax on Take Five - do you mean alto or do you want to go the full Kenny G?

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

skie

23 Aug 2018

ljekio wrote:
19 Aug 2018
Audio Modeling / SWAM Soprano Sax VSTi.
Cool I'll check it out. What I ended up doing was using the "breathy sax" preset on my Roland GR-22 in the highest register with a big surgical cut somewhere can't remember. (OMG I can't believe I'm letting this secret out in public this is the best tenor sax preset on the planet, instant Stan Getz, Would challenge any digital tenor sax in the world to try and compare!)

skie

23 Aug 2018

sorry dup post
Last edited by skie on 23 Aug 2018, edited 1 time in total.

skie

23 Aug 2018

skie wrote:
23 Aug 2018
selig wrote:
23 Aug 2018
Always assumed it was alto sax on Take Five - do you mean alto or do you want to go the full Kenny G?

No, I mean full on Paul Desmond or Kenny G. Soprano sax is a very subltle, elusive sound, I personally find Alto to a very annoying sound, I used to play it in middle school maybe that's why). Paul was Dave's main sax guy and soprano was his trademark. Now as for this song - sax kicks in around 30 secs...I think its a Soprano but could be alto, what say you?

skie

23 Aug 2018

skie wrote:
23 Aug 2018
ljekio wrote:
19 Aug 2018
Audio Modeling / SWAM Soprano Sax VSTi.
Cool I'll check it out. What I ended up doing was using the "breathy sax" preset on my Roland GR-20 in the highest register with a big surgical cut somewhere can't remember. (OMG I can't believe I'm letting this secret out in public this is the best tenor sax preset on the planet, instant Stan Getz, Would challenge any digital tenor sax in the world to try and compare!)

selig
RE Developer

23 Aug 2018

skie wrote:
23 Aug 2018

No, I mean full on Paul Desmond or Kenny G. Soprano sax is a very subltle, elusive sound, I personally find Alto to a very annoying sound, I used to play it in middle school maybe that's why). Paul was Dave's main sax guy and soprano was his trademark. Now as for this song - sax kicks in around 30 secs...I think its a Soprano but could be alto, what say you?

Paul Desmond was known for alto sax, Kenny G for soprano. Paul was also known for his ability to play well in the upper register of the alto sax, so maybe that's what made you think he played soprano sax?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Desmond
"Desmond produced a light, melodic tone on the alto saxophone, trying to sound, he said, "like a dry martini." With a style that was similar to that of Lee Konitz, one of his influences, he quickly became one of the best-known saxophonists from the West Coast's cool school of jazz. Much of the success of the classic Brubeck quartet was due to the juxtaposition of his airy style over Brubeck's sometimes relatively heavy, polytonal piano work.[16]

His rare gift for improvised counterpoint is perhaps most evident on the two albums he recorded with baritone saxophonist Gerry Mulligan (Mulligan-Desmond Quartet and Two of a Mind). Desmond's playing was also notable for his ability to produce extremely high notes, the altissimo register, on his saxophone.

Desmond played a Selmer Super Action model alto saxophone coupled with an M. C. Gregory model 4A-18M hard rubber mouthpiece, both dating from circa 1951, with a moderately stiff Rico 3 ½ reed."
Selig Audio, LLC

skie

23 Aug 2018

selig wrote:
23 Aug 2018
skie wrote:
23 Aug 2018

Paul Desmond was known for alto sax, Kenny G for soprano. Paul was also known for his ability to play well in the upper register of the alto sax, so maybe that's what made you think he played soprano sax?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Desmond
"Desmond produced a light, melodic tone on the alto saxophone, trying to sound, he said, "like a dry martini." With a style that was similar to that of Lee Konitz, one of his influences, he quickly became one of the best-known saxophonists from the West Coast's cool school of jazz. Much of the success of the classic Brubeck quartet was due to the juxtaposition of his airy style over Brubeck's sometimes relatively heavy, polytonal piano work.[16]

His rare gift for improvised counterpoint is perhaps most evident on the two albums he recorded with baritone saxophonist Gerry Mulligan (Mulligan-Desmond Quartet and Two of a Mind). Desmond's playing was also notable for his ability to produce extremely high notes, the altissimo register, on his saxophone.

Desmond played a Selmer Super Action model alto saxophone coupled with an M. C. Gregory model 4A-18M hard rubber mouthpiece, both dating from circa 1951, with a moderately stiff Rico 3 ½ reed."
So I took 2 semesters of jazz history in college and I could have sworn we learned there was something about Paul Desmond that only he did that involved Soprano. Maybe just that he was in that register all the time, not the actual instrument. Maybe the professor as only talking about Take 5. Kind of just got internet owned, but in a court of law I'd point to the fact that I never actually said Desmond's actual instrument was a Soprano...*then why were you asking about Soprano vst's genius?*...ahem well that would produce some of the same tones yes? lmao

skie

23 Aug 2018

The good news is, my search for a Soprano VST is concluded as I'm able to make what I want to hear with other tools.

selig
RE Developer

23 Aug 2018

skie wrote:The good news is, my search for a Soprano VST is concluded as I'm able to make what I want to hear with other tools.

Good news - wasn’t try to to bust balls here, was just wondering which instrument you actually wanted!

Selig Audio, LLC

skie

23 Aug 2018

selig wrote:
23 Aug 2018
skie wrote:The good news is, my search for a Soprano VST is concluded as I'm able to make what I want to hear with other tools.

Good news - wasn’t try to to bust balls here, was just wondering which instrument you actually wanted!

Hey I'm here to learn lol no worries

• Information