Resolution in reason 10

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
roadgoat

18 Aug 2018

Hey,

This is the first time I've posted here and I haven't been using reason that long, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

How can I change the resolution of reason on my Windows PC? It seems to be at a lower resolution than my monitors 1080p.

Thanks for any help

lakinlakin

19 Aug 2018

Not a dumb question, but I'm afraid you can't alter the resolution of Reason.

Ahornberg

19 Aug 2018

On Windows, you only can change the resolution in the Windows screen settings. I use a 4k screen and I set the screen resolution to 150%. Reason shows up a bit blurry, but that's ok as long as I can read tiny texts on the screen.

EnochLight

19 Aug 2018

roadgoat wrote:
18 Aug 2018
Hey,

This is the first time I've posted here and I haven't been using reason that long, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

How can I change the resolution of reason on my Windows PC? It seems to be at a lower resolution than my monitors 1080p.

Thanks for any help
What Ahornberg is referring to is using Window's own app scaling (right-click your desktop, select Display Settings, scroll down to "Change the size of text, apps, and other items"), assuming you are on Windows 10 . I'm afraid this is the only solution currently, as others have said. I'm on dual-1080p monitors, and find that a setting of 125% is comfortable on 1080p displays. A setting of about 150%-175% seems to work well for my 4K panel. Things can get a little fuzzy, though. YMMV.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Undistraction

19 Aug 2018

Unfortunately, unlike every other DAW and app around, Propellerhead decided not to add support for hi-dpi screens. You can use various tricks to zoom in, but be prepared for it looking awful. Also be prepared for lots of people who don't use hi-dpi screens to tell you that you don't need this feature because they don't need this feature. I think it's a safe bet Propellerhead will have addressed this in Reason 11, but lord knows when we will see that.

madmacman

19 Aug 2018

Undistraction wrote:
19 Aug 2018
Unfortunately, unlike every other DAW and app around, Propellerhead decided not to add support for hi-dpi screens.
But you forgot to mention that e.g. Ableton Live has it implemented this year (v10) after 5 years of waiting. Your wording sounds a little too negative.

Undistraction

19 Aug 2018

madmacman wrote:
19 Aug 2018
Undistraction wrote:
19 Aug 2018
Unfortunately, unlike every other DAW and app around, Propellerhead decided not to add support for hi-dpi screens.
But you forgot to mention that e.g. Ableton Live has it implemented this year (v10) after 5 years of waiting. Your wording sounds a little too negative.
I was being negative. Live has added a wealth of features alongside that one, while Propellerhead have cynically pumped out mediocre REs and 'content' instead of addressing fundamental problems with Reason. No wonder people are jumping ship in droves.

EnochLight

19 Aug 2018

Undistraction wrote:
19 Aug 2018
No wonder people are jumping ship in droves.
Interesting. I've never seen this before. :roll:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

madmacman

19 Aug 2018

Undistraction wrote:
19 Aug 2018
I was being negative. Live has added a wealth of features alongside that one, while Propellerhead have cynically pumped out mediocre REs and 'content' instead of addressing fundamental problems with Reason.
Indeed, Reason 10 wasn't what everyone expected. But I *still* believe that they did it to have a lot more time for fundamental revamps of the Reason core. If R11 doesn't deliver, I'm willing to join in the general lamentation.

Undistraction

19 Aug 2018

madmacman wrote:
19 Aug 2018
Undistraction wrote:
19 Aug 2018
I was being negative. Live has added a wealth of features alongside that one, while Propellerhead have cynically pumped out mediocre REs and 'content' instead of addressing fundamental problems with Reason.
Indeed, Reason 10 wasn't what everyone expected. But I *still* believe that they did it to have a lot more time for fundamental revamps of the Reason core. If R11 doesn't deliver, I'm willing to join in the general lamentation.
Yeah. I'm still holding out in the hope that 11 will be the big one, but who knows. It could also be 'The Biggest Reason update. Ever' all over again.

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Aug 2018

Undistraction wrote:
19 Aug 2018
madmacman wrote:
19 Aug 2018

Yeah. I'm still holding out in the hope that 11 will be the big one, but who knows. It could also be 'The Biggest Reason update. Ever' all over again.
Stop waiting for the big one and just make some music :D

deepndark

20 Aug 2018

If Props would make 3 sizes for Reason, it would already be alot. Picking a size and restarting Reason would do the trick I think.

Michaellos

20 Aug 2018

deepndark wrote:
20 Aug 2018
If Props would make 3 sizes for Reason, it would already be alot. Picking a size and restarting Reason would do the trick I think.
I guess much more available sizes would be welcome, more than only 3 - something like 90, 100, 110, 120, 150 and more percents. It depends on each particular monitor and individual taste. I really hope that it would be made in future updates, but not only 100, 150 and 200 percents :D

EnochLight

20 Aug 2018

Michaellos wrote:
20 Aug 2018
deepndark wrote:
20 Aug 2018
I guess much more available sizes would be welcome, more than only 3 - something like 90, 100, 110, 120, 150 and more percents.
I think this is literally the only method of approach that could address Reason's GUI/UX size-issues, especially on larger 4K or high DPI displays. Being able to "zoom" into a device on a "per-device in the rack way" - there's just no way to do this effectively, IMHO, so allowing the above approach seems the best way.

Really hoping we see this appear by version 11, but frankly, this "feature" is more like a point update, IMHO. So, maybe a 10.x update?

Undistraction

20 Aug 2018

EnochLight wrote:
20 Aug 2018
Michaellos wrote:
20 Aug 2018

I guess much more available sizes would be welcome, more than only 3 - something like 90, 100, 110, 120, 150 and more percents.
I think this is literally the only method of approach that could address Reason's GUI/UX size-issues, especially on larger 4K or high DPI displays. Being able to "zoom" into a device on a "per-device in the rack way" - there's just no way to do this effectively, IMHO, so allowing the above approach seems the best way.

Really hoping we see this appear by version 11, but frankly, this "feature" is more like a point update, IMHO. So, maybe a 10.x update?
I think there are two things they need to address:

1. Whole UI needs to scale up for Hi-dpi displays, using reference pixels instead of hardware pixels.

2. They need to allow a single device to be focussed and maximised to make best use of screen. Essentially to be fullscreened independently of the rack.

antic604

20 Aug 2018

Undistraction wrote:
20 Aug 2018
EnochLight wrote:
20 Aug 2018

1. Whole UI needs to scale up for Hi-dpi displays, using reference pixels instead of hardware pixels.

2. They need to allow a single device to be focussed and maximised to make best use of screen. Essentially to be fullscreened independently of the rack.
How would #2 work when patching cables? I think just doubling the native resolution at which all devices are drawn would make 90% of users happy.

EnochLight

20 Aug 2018

antic604 wrote:
20 Aug 2018
Undistraction wrote:
20 Aug 2018

How would #2 work when patching cables? I think just doubling the native resolution at which all devices are drawn would make 90% of users happy.
Precisely. These are my thoughts as well.

deepndark

20 Aug 2018

Yeah, it shouldn't be that hard to make lots of sizes for all the graphics and let us choose a resolution. If the Props have to redo the guis, because they didn't do bigger sizes for the possible future needs, then ... they need to work a little more.

EnochLight

20 Aug 2018

deepndark wrote:
20 Aug 2018
Yeah, it shouldn't be that hard to make lots of sizes for all the graphics and let us choose a resolution. If the Props have to redo the guis, because they didn't do bigger sizes for the possible future needs, then ... they need to work a little more.
It's well known that Rack Extension/Player high definition/high DPI assets are already available, so all Props need to work out are high definition/high DPI graphics for all of the older native Reason devices, pre-6.0, the main mixer, and the rack. In all honesty, this shouldn't take them that long. In 2018 I seriously don't know why this is so low on the totem pole of shit that needs to get done.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lakinlakin

20 Aug 2018

Someday I'll be twiddling with Reason and think 'Remember when this all looked so small and hard to use?'

Someday...

deepndark

20 Aug 2018

EnochLight wrote:
20 Aug 2018
deepndark wrote:
20 Aug 2018
It's well known that Rack Extension/Player high definition/high DPI assets are already available, so all Props need to work out are high definition/high DPI graphics for all of the older native Reason devices, pre-6.0, the main mixer, and the rack. In all honesty, this shouldn't take them that long. In 2018 I seriously don't know why this is so low on the totem pole of shit that needs to get done.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Graphic designers should always work in as big resolutions they can. But didn't Bill Gage also think wrong when he thought that we don't need more memory and by now we use 100 000 times more than that.

EnochLight

20 Aug 2018

deepndark wrote:
20 Aug 2018
But didn't Bill [Gates] also think wrong when he thought that we don't need more memory and by now we use 100 000 times more than that.
He's been quoted out of context for decades. Here's what he really said, and most importantly, what he really meant:

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/09/08/640k-enough/

But, I digress. I don't think Props ever suggested that Reason's current resolution cap was because they thought they'd never need to increase it. Pretty sure they feel it's just that more people want other things that are more important, feature-wise, and with their limited resources (devs and dev time), they have to make hard choices on what to bring in updates.

Undistraction

20 Aug 2018

antic604 wrote:
20 Aug 2018
Undistraction wrote:
20 Aug 2018

I was just imagining being able to zoom in to the front of a device. Would make a big difference for a lot of the devices with dense interfaces.

Note that it isn't a matter of 'doubling the native resolution', it's a matter of scaling to reference pixels. This would be future proof and would work on all high-res screens. Now and in the future.

antic604

20 Aug 2018

Undistraction wrote:
20 Aug 2018
Note that it isn't a matter of 'doubling the native resolution', it's a matter of scaling to reference pixels. This would be future proof and would work on all high-res screens. Now and in the future.
Yes, I'm aware of that but that's very difficult if Props would want to retain the bitmap-based interface. It's easy to do vector-based GUI if your interface is sparse, composed of basic geometric shapes (like Live, Bitwig or FL). I guess for a foreseable future it'd be enough to "repaint" the devices and GUI elements in 4K (2x the current resolution) for 8K because downsampling to lower res always yields better results than the other way around.

Also, several devs mentioned that REs are already 4K ready, so I'm sure the work is underway :)

two shoes

20 Aug 2018

madmacman wrote:
19 Aug 2018
Undistraction wrote:
19 Aug 2018
[/quote

it may be negative but it's pretty much true, ableton added support for hi dpi 4k displays in v10, but it's had built in continuous scaling allowing you to view the interface at whatever "size" you prefer and looked fine up to about 2560x1440p since forever. reason doesn't scale at all except with Windows as mentioned above - if Reason would simply add the scaling functionality live has had for years that would be a huge step forward.

• Information