Resolution in reason 10

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
two shoes

20 Aug 2018

EnochLight wrote:
20 Aug 2018
deepndark wrote:
20 Aug 2018
But didn't Bill [Gates] also think wrong when he thought that we don't need more memory and by now we use 100 000 times more than that.
He's been quoted out of context for decades. Here's what he really said, and most importantly, what he really meant:

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/09/08/640k-enough/

But, I digress. I don't think Props ever suggested that Reason's current resolution cap was because they thought they'd never need to increase it. Pretty sure they feel it's just that more people want other things that are more important, feature-wise, and with their limited resources (devs and dev time), they have to make hard choices on what to bring in updates.
man, that choice between supporting a display standard that went mainstream for pretty much any kind of production/creative work about two years ago and making that sweet angklung/kinderklavier/zitherette sample library into a native device must have been a hard one....

welp, i'm off to squint at my latest masterpeice for acoustic saz in a cave and little wooden flutes - see ya later!

Undistraction

21 Aug 2018

two shoes wrote:
20 Aug 2018
EnochLight wrote:
20 Aug 2018

He's been quoted out of context for decades. Here's what he really said, and most importantly, what he really meant:

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/09/08/640k-enough/

But, I digress. I don't think Props ever suggested that Reason's current resolution cap was because they thought they'd never need to increase it. Pretty sure they feel it's just that more people want other things that are more important, feature-wise, and with their limited resources (devs and dev time), they have to make hard choices on what to bring in updates.
man, that choice between supporting a display standard that went mainstream for pretty much any kind of production/creative work about two years ago and making that sweet angklung/kinderklavier/zitherette sample library into a native device must have been a hard one....

welp, i'm off to squint at my latest masterpeice for acoustic saz in a cave and little wooden flutes - see ya later!
Somewhere there is a guy who makes a living writing music for massage parlours to play during Indian head massages who used one of those sounds once.

kitekrazy

21 Aug 2018

I'm curious if any of you are using a laptop for Reason. As for me even Live has a small real estate on a 21 inch monitor.

antic604

22 Aug 2018

kitekrazy wrote:
21 Aug 2018
I'm curious if any of you are using a laptop for Reason. As for me even Live has a small real estate on a 21 inch monitor.
Yes, 12'' Surface Pro 4. Bitwig or Live are perfectly fine since both were designed for single monitor and have internal zoom. With Reason it's a constant struggle, mainly because it's a high-DPI screen.

scratchnsnifff

23 Aug 2018

I do wish that the entire reason experience could get an update that focuses on the UI

Just watching videos of Thor on the iPad, or Europa vst. The clean look of those two rack devices makes me wonder what the entire ecosystem would look like

I do agree with the person who stated that the props probably see it as “other features are needed” as opposed to “ users will never need better graphics” (paraphrasing)

I like how on a Mac, you can use the magnifier to zoom in using the MacBooks zoom tool. However it makes the device very blocky/pixelated

How is Reason constructed as opposed to ableton or FL?

Both of those companies had wonderful updates that addressed the scaling

What if the props handled the Reason ecosystem like VST developers. By making Reason have a zoom button for incremental zooming modes. Ideally it would be nice to have a fit to screen but be able to zoom in and out of the rack so devices could be full screen?
Just thinking out loud. Also how viable would the idea of a button on each rack unit, that would make it take up more space/make it full screen? Or is the idea of incremental percentage scaling more feasible?

Interesting topic, and I feel like once the top 10 most user requested features are banged out, wel probably see the look Reason should have :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

buddard
RE Developer

23 Aug 2018

EnochLight wrote:
20 Aug 2018
deepndark wrote:
20 Aug 2018
Yeah, it shouldn't be that hard to make lots of sizes for all the graphics and let us choose a resolution. If the Props have to redo the guis, because they didn't do bigger sizes for the possible future needs, then ... they need to work a little more.
It's well known that Rack Extension/Player high definition/high DPI assets are already available, so all Props need to work out are high definition/high DPI graphics for all of the older native Reason devices, pre-6.0, the main mixer, and the rack. In all honesty, this shouldn't take them that long. In 2018 I seriously don't know why this is so low on the totem pole of shit that needs to get done.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't think that creating missing hi-res assets is the bottleneck here, I'm guessing that it's more about being able to draw them on the screen with acceptable performance. If they manage to sort out the current performance issues, who knows: Maybe it will open up the possibility to add hi-res rendering in the next version?

antic604

23 Aug 2018

buddard wrote:
23 Aug 2018
I don't think that creating missing hi-res assets is the bottleneck here, I'm guessing that it's more about being able to draw them on the screen with acceptable performance. If they manage to sort out the current performance issues, who knows: Maybe it will open up the possibility to add hi-res rendering in the next version?
That's a fair point! If currently moving about the GUI sometimes causes hiccups and audio gliteches because it's done by the CPU, then 2-4x higher resolution would kill the performance. They need to offload GUI rendering to GPU and that might not be easy, or fast.

• Information