Routing External FX: feedback loops issues

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
syncanonymous

15 Aug 2018

I wonder if anyone here has experience troubleshooting feedback loops when routing external fx devices via Reason FX returns?

Earlier this week I wanted to teach myself how to set it up. I watched James Bernard’s video and applied to my system. I was able to get the patching to work, yet I had an unwanted feedback loop. If I increased the gain on my FX, obviously the feedback loop was uncontrollable (well, it seemed to go away when decreasing send and return volumes on the Reason SSL fx section).

I suppose it could be specific soundcard issue. I am using 2 PreSonus FireStudio Mobiles which are daisy chained. The FX device I was using is a Digitech 2101. The 2101 FX allows stereo I/O and is line level.

I wonder if any of you have any suggestions of your experiences routing external fx?
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

selig
RE Developer

15 Aug 2018

syncanonymous wrote:
15 Aug 2018
I wonder if anyone here has experience troubleshooting feedback loops when routing external fx devices via Reason FX returns?

Earlier this week I wanted to teach myself how to set it up. I watched James Bernard’s video and applied to my system. I was able to get the patching to work, yet I had an unwanted feedback loop. If I increased the gain on my FX, obviously the feedback loop was uncontrollable (well, it seemed to go away when decreasing send and return volumes on the Reason SSL fx section).

I suppose it could be specific soundcard issue. I am using 2 PreSonus FireStudio Mobiles which are daisy chained. The FX device I was using is a Digitech 2101. The 2101 FX allows stereo I/O and is line level.

I wonder if any of you have any suggestions of your experiences routing external fx?
Feedback comes from sending the same signal to the FX as the main output, thus feeding the main signal back into the mixer creating the loop.

Not sure if the two interfaces can be configured to appear totally separate from Reason's perspective, but it sounds like they are currently NOT configured that way (thus the feedback loop).

Too many questions are unanswered in your setup to provide a helpful answer, but it sounds like the second interface (assuming that's the one you're using for the send/return) is simply a mirror of the main 1/2 outputs?

Also assuming you're using a send in the Big Mixer for the external FX, is that send connected to Hardware Outputs 3/4, and are your Prefs setup to access those additional outputs (again, assuming your two interfaces can be configured to work this way)?

Maybe provide screen shots and the audio tab (from the Prefs) to see how you've got everything setup. Worst case will be you'd need an interface with more than two outputs to accomplish what you're wanting.
Selig Audio, LLC

syncanonymous

15 Aug 2018

Thanks Selig,
your explanation should help me track it down
first step for me then, is to ensure no main output is present in outs 3/4...

you are right, PreSonus daisy chain has ins and outs labelled as mirrors
reason hardware I/O tool tip pop ups say "...Interface II..." for all I/O
looks like I require a different interface...or different driver...which PreSonus didn't write AFAIK
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD

syncanonymous

20 Aug 2018

Yeah, so, what I have been doing wrong is cascading the PreSonus audio interfaces incorrectly. The fact that my 2 x Firestudio Mobiles were sync'd (blue light) doesn't mean they are "cascaded" correctly. After further rtfm I have now correctly cascaded my little daisy chain and it's working nicely :-)

FTTGAS: after daisy chaining multiple PreSonus interfaces specific names can written by the user which more easily allows identification of identical mirrored I/Os :-)

• Information