Reason and sending MIDI clock to hardware

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jayhosking

14 Aug 2018

My hardware collection has been growing steadily over the last year, but I'm afraid my favourite DAW can't keep up. I'd love to be able to run sequences, arpeggios, LFOs, etc. from my hardware, all in synch with Reason's internal clock. These devices are all hooked up to my computer via USB and can send MIDI information to Reason just fine, all at once.

But within Reason's preferences, it appears MIDI clock can only be sent out to one hardware device from Reason. What gives? Just doing a cursory browse of other DAWs, it appears both ProTools and Ableton Live can send MIDI clock to as many devices as you connect to them. Is there some reason why Reason can't, some limitation I'm not understanding? Or maybe I'm wrong, and MIDI clock can be sent to multiple devices from Reason?

I know there are workarounds, like chaining all the instruments with MIDI cables, but I've already got them all hooked up to the main source, and it seems tedious to run a whole second set of cables just for MIDI clock.

Help a fellow out? Thanks in advance!

chimp_spanner

14 Aug 2018

Yeah this is a limitation of the program at this time. It’s a bit of a shame as it presupposes that you’re either only using one piece of gear, or that you’re using multiple devices and they all have MIDI thru, which some devices (like the Korg Volcas) don’t. So it ends up limiting which devices you can use and in which order (i.e. the device without MIDI thru has to be the last in the chain and you can’t use any others). Really hope this changes one day!

jayhosking

14 Aug 2018

What a bummer. Honestly, the last thing I want to do is wire up an entire second set of cables. I might switch to another DAW for hardware recording, then. If multiple MIDI clock out is implemented in many other DAWs, here's hoping they can easily change this in the future.

demt

17 Aug 2018

ha ha ha ha ha ha
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

bik44

17 Aug 2018

This
https://m.thomann.de/pl/kenton_midi_merge.htm

And this

https://m.thomann.de/pl/kenton_midi_thru_5.htm

solved all my problems :)

Midi from computer, keyboard and Octatrack is merged into one signal and then splitted to all other hardware.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

demt

18 Aug 2018

sorry
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

• Information