Possible bug in Redrum

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
electrofux

13 Aug 2018

Yesterday i wanted to trigger the CV8 channels via the Gate Outs of Redrum but for some reason it wouldnt work.
Further investigation showed that a trigger of the gate out in Redrum resulted in a cv gate Signal that doesnt go down to zero again.
I set the Gate lenght to different values and tried the two options (Pulse or decaying Gate) but it didnt make a difference. In the end i had to deduct -1 to the gate signal to make it triggering the CV8 Channels.
Is that wanted? Can anyone confirm?

dioxide

13 Aug 2018

Redrum's Gate outputs are Unipolar, not Bipolar. It may be that CV8 expects Bipolar input? To my knowledge all Reason note Gate outputs are Unipolar.

EdGrip

13 Aug 2018

I don't think that's it - what would be the point of a bipolar gate input? It sounds as if rather than sending ON>OFF>ON gate signals, the Redrum is sending ON>on>ON gate signals. Which is not right.

But if so, why do Redrum's gate outputs reliably trigger other devices?

chimp_spanner

13 Aug 2018

Hm, I mean as far as I'm aware gate inputs in Reason will respond to anything above halfway (64?). So it could be that the reason it's working okay with other devices is that they register the initial onset and then the drop to a value less than 64 (in this case, 1). Which is still low enough to cross the threshold and cut the gate. That's my guess. If I'm wrong someone correct me! If this is the case, of course, then that would mean that yes technically it is a bug!!

selig
RE Developer

13 Aug 2018

electrofux wrote:Yesterday i wanted to trigger the CV8 channels via the Gate Outs of Redrum but for some reason it wouldnt work.
Further investigation showed that a trigger of the gate out in Redrum resulted in a cv gate Signal that doesnt go down to zero again.
I set the Gate lenght to different values and tried the two options (Pulse or decaying Gate) but it didnt make a difference. In the end i had to deduct -1 to the gate signal to make it triggering the CV8 Channels.
I just checked and I’m seeing zeros on ReDrum CV outputs between gates. I see a value of 30 for low velocity, 80 for middle (default) velocity, and 127 for high.

I’m using the old ReVolt to measure values - what are you using to measure values and what non-zero value do you see between gates?

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

13 Aug 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:Hm, I mean as far as I'm aware gate inputs in Reason will respond to anything above halfway (64?). So it could be that the reason it's working okay with other devices is that they register the initial onset and then the drop to a value less than 64 (in this case, 1). Which is still low enough to cross the threshold and cut the gate. That's my guess. If I'm wrong someone correct me! If this is the case, of course, then that would mean that yes technically it is a bug!!
Gate signals include velocity, so they must respond to any non-zero value. If they only triggered at 64 and above, half of the velocity range would be ignored.

As far as I can tell, one ReDrum will trigger another with a value as low as 1-2 (not sure the exact value since it appears to be somewhere in between these two AFAICT with the tools available to me).

Selig Audio, LLC

ljekio

13 Aug 2018

electrofux wrote:
13 Aug 2018
Yesterday i wanted to trigger the CV8 channels via the Gate Outs of Redrum but for some reason it wouldnt work.
I guess here CV8 buggy instead Redrum.
I noticed some times divergence between hint's value and real value from output.
Last edited by ljekio on 13 Aug 2018, edited 1 time in total.

electrofux

13 Aug 2018

It is kindof weird in that CV Analyzer shows the zero value but only when you move the zero line 1 tick lower it triggers. Never had that in any other device.
Plug the momentary buttons of a Modpanel into the CV8 and it triggers them straight away.
Also it doesnt make a difference that the play buttons in Redrum produce a Gate with value of 80 while the steptriggers on high veloctiy produce a full 127 gate. Both dont work without further a do.
Havent tried Kong lately but i guess if Redrum wouldnt trigger Kong then there would be instant notification in here.
But using the Kong Pads to trigger CV8 does work straight away.
ljekio wrote:
13 Aug 2018

I guess here CV8 buggy instead Redrum.
I noticed some times divergence between hint's value end real value from output.
Yeah might be.

chimp_spanner

13 Aug 2018

selig wrote:
13 Aug 2018
chimp_spanner wrote:Hm, I mean as far as I'm aware gate inputs in Reason will respond to anything above halfway (64?). So it could be that the reason it's working okay with other devices is that they register the initial onset and then the drop to a value less than 64 (in this case, 1). Which is still low enough to cross the threshold and cut the gate. That's my guess. If I'm wrong someone correct me! If this is the case, of course, then that would mean that yes technically it is a bug!!
Gate signals include velocity, so they must respond to any non-zero value. If they only triggered at 64 and above, half of the velocity range would be ignored.

As far as I can tell, one ReDrum will trigger another with a value as low as 1-2 (not sure the exact value since it appears to be somewhere in between these two AFAICT with the tools available to me).

Damn of course. Whatever was I talking about :lol: late night. Brain bad.

ljekio

13 Aug 2018

Redrum will trigger with any positive value from 1.
But required condition for trig is zero before it value.
No trigger between two positive values.

• Information