Controlling volume of selected instrument's mixer track via midi controller

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jed

11 Aug 2018

Hi team,

I'm just setting up a Reason rig to use when I'm travelling, and want it to consist of my Korg NanoKey Studio connected to my MackBook Pro.

When using Ableton Live with this hardware combo, I have a setup (within Live) a NanoKey Studio midi script that configures it's knob 8 as the 'selected Mixer track volume' knob. This means that whatever track is selected in Ableton, I have instant control of that track's volume by grabbing knob 8. This is really cool as it saves dragging the mouse around to change a track volume. Knobs 1-7 are assigned to parameters as normal.

I'd really love to replicate this in Reason, as it's fast becoming my main DAW of choice these days.

What I'm finding though is that when you drag an instrument from Reason's browser into the sequencer, the NanoStudio's knobs are automatically assigned to the instrument you have dragged in. I'd like to 'separate' knob 8 from this default behaviour, and use it to control the corresponding Reason mixer's track volume.

Is this possible? This way I could drag an instrument from Reason's browser into my project, and then grab NanoKey Studio's knob 8 to adjust it's corresponding mixer volume fader.

I notice that the Nektar P4 achieves this with its motorized fader, so how do we achieve it for our own scripts?

Any help most appreciated!

Cheers
Jed

artotaku

12 Aug 2018

Jed wrote:
11 Aug 2018
Hi team,

I'm just setting up a Reason rig to use when I'm travelling, and want it to consist of my Korg NanoKey Studio connected to my MackBook Pro.

When using Ableton Live with this hardware combo, I have a setup (within Live) a NanoKey Studio midi script that configures it's knob 8 as the 'selected Mixer track volume' knob. This means that whatever track is selected in Ableton, I have instant control of that track's volume by grabbing knob 8. This is really cool as it saves dragging the mouse around to change a track volume. Knobs 1-7 are assigned to parameters as normal.

I'd really love to replicate this in Reason, as it's fast becoming my main DAW of choice these days.

What I'm finding though is that when you drag an instrument from Reason's browser into the sequencer, the NanoStudio's knobs are automatically assigned to the instrument you have dragged in. I'd like to 'separate' knob 8 from this default behaviour, and use it to control the corresponding Reason mixer's track volume.

Is this possible? This way I could drag an instrument from Reason's browser into my project, and then grab NanoKey Studio's knob 8 to adjust it's corresponding mixer volume fader.

I notice that the Nektar P4 achieves this with its motorized fader, so how do we achieve it for our own scripts?

Any help most appreciated!

Cheers
Jed
Problem is that a mix channel and the instrument connected to it are not coupled in Reason Remote protocol. They are totally separate. I think there has been a feature request for such functionality/remote items in the Reason Remote Codec developer forum.
What can be done is that one implements a separate Nanokey Remote Codec for the main mixer where you could navigate through the mix channels but independently from the MIDI track selection of the instrument. Still, the selection of an instrument and the selected mix channel are not in sync. There are some tricks to achieve that in a Remote Codec to a certain degree but it goes deep into programming (I assume that Nektar did excactly that).

antic604

12 Aug 2018

artotaku wrote:
12 Aug 2018
I think there has been a feature request for such functionality/remote items in the Reason Remote Codec developer forum.
Where's that forum?

artotaku

12 Aug 2018

antic604 wrote:
12 Aug 2018
artotaku wrote:
12 Aug 2018
I think there has been a feature request for such functionality/remote items in the Reason Remote Codec developer forum.
Where's that forum?
You need to register as "Remote" developer at Propellerhead to have access to the forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/developers). It´s hosted at Propellerhead.

Jed

13 Aug 2018

From Props support:

'I'm afraid that currently this doesn't work in Reason but it sounds really handy so I will definitely bring this up with our developers.'

Oh well hopefully they'll implement this soon. Thanks for your reply artotaku.

Cheers
Jed

electrofux

13 Aug 2018

I used to have a codec for one of my controllers where i read out the current sequencers track name and if there was a "CH=X" in there it connected a certain knob on my controller to mixer channel X. Worked but renaming all channels was a bit of a pain.

• Information