New Sound Card. NN-19 no longer able to sample from "What U Hear" on Windows 10 PC.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ccso151

02 Aug 2018

Hello everyone.

I recently purchased a Creative Sound Labs Audigy RX sound card from my Windows 10 PC. Previous to that I used a Creative Sound Labs X-Fi card. With the X-Fi card I could use the NN-19 to sample a sound or song that was playing on windows media player that was running in the background. For example, I would play a song out of reason and was able to sample a part of it withing reason using the sample button on the NN-19. Now that I have the Audigy card the NN-19 card wont "hear" the song playing from windows media player. I checked my input setting and there was no "what you hear" option in Reason 8.3.2. Sampling with my NN-19 from another audio player is crucial for what I do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!

John

jam-s

02 Aug 2018

You might have to activate it in the sound settings or your driver. (Most modern drivers hide the option to have the sereo mix as a record source due to stupid users creating feedback loops.)

EnochLight

04 Aug 2018

ccso151 wrote:
02 Aug 2018
Hello everyone.

I recently purchased a Creative Sound Labs Audigy RX sound card from my Windows 10 PC. Previous to that I used a Creative Sound Labs X-Fi card. With the X-Fi card I could use the NN-19 to sample a sound or song that was playing on windows media player that was running in the background. For example, I would play a song out of reason and was able to sample a part of it withing reason using the sample button on the NN-19. Now that I have the Audigy card the NN-19 card wont "hear" the song playing from windows media player. I checked my input setting and there was no "what you hear" option in Reason 8.3.2. Sampling with my NN-19 from another audio player is crucial for what I do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!

John
While the Audigy RX should come with ASIO drivers for your audio production/DAW, this card is first and foremost a gaming and multimedia card, thus, don't expect miracles from it. I haven't used an Audigy series card since the early-2000's, so this may not be that accurate, but I'm pretty sure the "What You Hear" feature was deprecated on Windows 10. You may need to use the free ASIO4ALL drivers with it or use an audio loopback driver to sample in the manner that you want.

You might also try the free VB-Cable for audio loopback (it's actually donationware): https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm

Good luck!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

rgdaniel

04 Aug 2018

Maybe this thread below will be of use... I have never got this to work, I don't think my built in sound card is up to the task... anything I want to sample into reason I have to record in Audacity first, then import as a WAV... I can sample from a USB microphone, but not from other Windows players etc...

viewtopic.php?t=7495966

rgdaniel

04 Aug 2018

Holy shit... actually got it working.... I gave another try to Audinate's Dante Via (from the other thread):

https://www.audinate.com/products/software/dante-via

Windows Media Player is playing an mp3, and I can record that into an audio track in Reason at the same time...

Still on 30 day trial, but will happily buy this if it keeps working. NOTE: After installing, the program asks you to create an account, but it never connects to finish that process. "Server is taking a long time to respond, please try again". Instead, I created the account directly via the website, after which the program successfully activated.

rgdaniel

05 Aug 2018

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but just to follow up: I noticed that the latency with Dante was not quite wonderful, so I thought no problem, I'll just switch back to ASIO4ALL driver when I record performance. Well no. No sound from anything in Reason when I switch to that. Default drivers and Dante Via still working, but no ASIO4ALL... well damn... so I decided to temporarily uninstall Dante Via, see if that fixed it... nope... eventually found a "listen to this device" checkbox in Windows 7 Sound Control Panel that needed to be unchecked, and boom, ASIO4ALL working as before, beautiful... let's try Dante again with this new found knowledge... nope... says I already had my trial, so I need to buy it now... not sure I want to do that, without knowing for sure that ASIO4ALL will still work, but I may yet... it was pretty sweet there for a while... but my workaround has been to just sample external stuff into Audacity, which would still work and I don't do it that often... so we'll see...

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

05 Aug 2018

rgdaniel wrote:
05 Aug 2018
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but just to follow up: I noticed that the latency with Dante was not quite wonderful, so I thought no problem, I'll just switch back to ASIO4ALL driver when I record performance. Well no. No sound from anything in Reason when I switch to that. Default drivers and Dante Via still working, but no ASIO4ALL... well damn... so I decided to temporarily uninstall Dante Via, see if that fixed it... nope... eventually found a "listen to this device" checkbox in Windows 7 Sound Control Panel that needed to be unchecked, and boom, ASIO4ALL working as before, beautiful... let's try Dante again with this new found knowledge... nope... says I already had my trial, so I need to buy it now... not sure I want to do that, without knowing for sure that ASIO4ALL will still work, but I may yet... it was pretty sweet there for a while... but my workaround has been to just sample external stuff into Audacity, which would still work and I don't do it that often... so we'll see...
You should be able to get things working with vb-cable or Jack (which I prefer), both are free..

EnochLight

05 Aug 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
05 Aug 2018
You should be able to get things working with vb-cable or Jack (which I prefer), both are free..
VB-Cable is awesome; I still use it sometimes even though my RME Babyface Pro has audio-loopback built in.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

rgdaniel

05 Aug 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
05 Aug 2018
I did try VB Cable as well... I was able to record in Audacity via its drivers, but not in Reason. And since I could ALREADY record in Audacity, I did not leave it installed. But yeah, I might have another go, watching out for that "Listen" checkbox this time...

rgdaniel

05 Aug 2018

Well I installed JACK but I couldn't even figure out where to begin... seems a bit above my pay grade... and I had another go at VB Cable, but nothing I tried was able to produce sound anywhere... I could see the little mini-meters going in the Win7 Sound Control Panel and the VB Cable control panel showed audio activity, but nothing that translated into anything I could hear, or assign to an audio track in reason. So I think I give up. Waiting to hear if Dante Via folks will extend my trial. That one is kind of overkill for what I need, but I DID get it to work. Just need to be sure it won't break ASIO4ALL again. Nothing is ever easy.

• Information