Reason Mixer EQ Volume Matching

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
gaclab

31 Jul 2018

Hey guys,

I really enjoy the sound and simplicity of using the Dynamics and EQ sections of the Reason Mixer, but I have a question about EQ. It doesn't appear that when making EQ changes that the volume is matched and I find myself constantly moving my fader to compensate for the increase or decrease in gain. It makes comparing the track before and after EQ somewhat difficult.

Am I missing something? Is there an easy workaround?

From the documentation, it appears that compressor does automatically volume match but I see nothing about EQ.

Thanks for the help.

- Grant
Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 4.5 | Mac OSX 10.13.4 w/ 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 12 GB Ram (dinosaur) | Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 | M-Audio Keystation 49es | Akai MPD218 | KRK Rokit 5s

Loque

31 Jul 2018

Would be nice if auto compensation would work, but never had a device with such a feature that produces accurate results.

EQ changes the volume by changing gain on frequencies which results in a change of the overall gain. This is hard to compensate automatically. Compressors changes are better predictable, because they just change the gain (if they do not apply some additional magic), but to my ears a change in dynamic results often in a change of loudness which I need to compensate too. Sry, i am no pro here, just my experience...

So, for accurate A/B comparisons, you need to follow your ears and use accurate measures with a dedicated A/B setup. There is a free RE available to help you here.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

01 Aug 2018

+1 to logue’s comments. Looked into adding that feature to my ColoringEQ but quickly realized it would give a false sense of security.

Doesn’t really work that well for compressors either since you can’t predict input gain. Plus, compression can affect perceived loudness which makes the job more difficult.

This is one of my motivations for creating selig gain, so I could measure and compensate for level changes when adding processing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

gaclab

01 Aug 2018

Thanks guys! I'll check out the Selig gain and the A/B Audio & CV Switch. https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... cv-switch/
Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 4.5 | Mac OSX 10.13.4 w/ 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 12 GB Ram (dinosaur) | Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 | M-Audio Keystation 49es | Akai MPD218 | KRK Rokit 5s

jimmyklane

01 Aug 2018

gcopley wrote:
31 Jul 2018
Hey guys,

I really enjoy the sound and simplicity of using the Dynamics and EQ sections of the Reason Mixer, but I have a question about EQ. It doesn't appear that when making EQ changes that the volume is matched and I find myself constantly moving my fader to compensate for the increase or decrease in gain. It makes comparing the track before and after EQ somewhat difficult.

From the documentation, it appears that compressor does automatically volume match but I see nothing about EQ.

Thanks for the help.

- Grant
EQ by its very nature raises the level of the source at the frequency you’ve chosen. In addition, the SSL mixer EQ is extremely broad in “G mode” even at the tightest Q(constant Q)....the “E mode” is a little tighter but is still pretty wide until you get to high dB boosts/cuts (proportional Q)
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

selig
RE Developer

02 Aug 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
gcopley wrote:
31 Jul 2018
Hey guys,

Thanks for the help.

- Grant
EQ by its very nature raises the level of the source at the frequency you’ve chosen. In addition, the SSL mixer EQ is extremely broad in “G mode” even at the tightest Q(constant Q)....the “E mode” is a little tighter but is still pretty wide until you get to high dB boosts/cuts (proportional Q)
At high boost Q is identical between E&G curves. So, E is most narrow at small boost/cut.

Selig Audio, LLC

jimmyklane

02 Aug 2018

selig wrote:
01 Aug 2018
+1 to logue’s comments. Looked into adding that feature to my ColoringEQ but quickly realized it would give a false sense of security.

Doesn’t really work that well for compressors either since you can’t predict input gain. Plus, compression can affect perceived loudness which makes the job more difficult.

This is one of my motivations for creating selig gain, so I could measure and compensate for level changes when adding processing.

I disagree with your point on compressors, as the API 525 and 527 original 500 series compressors handle auto compensation particularly well.....

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

jimmyklane

02 Aug 2018

selig wrote:
02 Aug 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
At high boost Q is identical between E&G curves. So, E is most narrow at small boost/cut.

You are of course correct, excuse me. The original point stands however, EQ tends to raise the level and the ssl tends to be a “broad brush” type of EQ.

• Information