Performance problem after Windows 10 installation

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jappe

31 Jul 2018

Anyone else recognize this?

I've experienced two problems when running Reason (v 9.5.2.d21) on Windows 10, on two different machines with different hardware.

1. Every now and then (couple times in an hour perhaps) for no apparent reason suddenly crackling starts very badly + Computer too slow message. 100% of the time the problem auto-resolves after some 20 seconds. But before that, it immediately gives "Computer too slow" if trying to restart playing.

2. There's something really bad going on regarding scrolling in the Reason rack...it seems it makes severe interrupts - If I have a song perhaps utilizing 80% of available DSP I can make the "Computer too slow" message appear just by scrolling the rack with the mouse wheel - the DSP bar goes up when scrolling.

I have Reason on a desktop + laptop with Reason 10 Windows 10, and it happens on both.
I recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 on the desktop (full reinstall from formatted disk) and didn't experience these problems then.

Reg problem 1 it's tempting to believe it's related to some automatic job starting, but I haven't been able to identify anything from the task manager.

househoppin09

31 Jul 2018

#1 definitely sounds like some background system process--maybe the search indexer? Power management would also be a likely culprit; consider creating a custom power management profile and go really carefully through the whole range of settings, optimizing for performance. Next time it happens, while the problem is ongoing, try sorting Task Manager's CPU, Memory, Disk columns in descending order, one by one, and see if you can spot any activity (no matter how minor) that disappears when the problem ends. Also, you should run LatencyMon and see if it picks up anything.

#2 is sadly quite normal, and happens on my Windows 8.1 systems all the time. I'm actually quite surprised you were able to avoid it in the past! Maybe you had some sort of best-case scenario going with your previous video drivers. You can try newer (or older) drivers, preferably direct from your video card's manufacturer, but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. Welcome to the aggravation the rest of us have been dealing with all this time... :lol:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2018

jappe wrote:
31 Jul 2018

I've experienced two problems when running Reason (v 9.5.2.d21) on Windows 10, on two different machines with different hardware.

1. Every now and then (couple times in an hour perhaps) for no apparent reason suddenly crackling starts very badly + Computer too slow message. 100% of the time the problem auto-resolves after some 20 seconds. But before that, it immediately gives "Computer too slow" if trying to restart playing.

2. There's something really bad going on regarding scrolling in the Reason rack...it seems it makes severe interrupts - If I have a song perhaps utilizing 80% of available DSP I can make the "Computer too slow" message appear just by scrolling the rack with the mouse wheel - the DSP bar goes up when scrolling.

I have Reason on a desktop + laptop with Reason 10, and it happens on both.
I recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 on the desktop (full reinstall from formatted disk) and didn't experience these problems then.

Reg problem 1 it's tempting to believe it's related to some automatic job starting, but I haven't been able to identify anything from the task manager.
The thing with the DSP going up while scrolling is something that's been bugging me too. I've now optimized my PC as far as it goes which seems to have helped.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

kuhliloach

31 Jul 2018

xylyx

31 Jul 2018

jappe wrote:
31 Jul 2018

I have Reason on a desktop + laptop with Reason 10 Windows 10, and it happens on both.

The other thing to check with #1 is whether thermal throttling is occurring, where your processor speed drops due to the CPU's temperature becoming too high - had this problem myself recently and found my clock speed dropping by 66% when the throttling occurred.

jappe

31 Jul 2018

househoppin09 wrote:
31 Jul 2018
#1 definitely sounds like some background system process--maybe the search indexer? Power management would also be a likely culprit; consider creating a custom power management profile and go really carefully through the whole range of settings, optimizing for performance. Next time it happens, while the problem is ongoing, try sorting Task Manager's CPU, Memory, Disk columns in descending order, one by one, and see if you can spot any activity (no matter how minor) that disappears when the problem ends. Also, you should run LatencyMon and see if it picks up anything.

#2 is sadly quite normal, and happens on my Windows 8.1 systems all the time. I'm actually quite surprised you were able to avoid it in the past! Maybe you had some sort of best-case scenario going with your previous video drivers. You can try newer (or older) drivers, preferably direct from your video card's manufacturer, but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. Welcome to the aggravation the rest of us have been dealing with all this time... :lol:
Thanks.
I've went through some optimization stuff but didn't stop the indexer; fixed that now. I'll also prepare to monitor the resources to see if I can capture any culprit.

Regarding graphics driver, I find it odd that I have the same problem on two machines despite different hardware if the graphics driver was the cause.
It is nvidia both though, but very different models.

jappe

31 Jul 2018

kuhliloach wrote:
31 Jul 2018
Thanks; I've actually alread went through this optimization on both machines.

jappe

31 Jul 2018

xylyx wrote:
31 Jul 2018
jappe wrote:
31 Jul 2018

The other thing to check with #1 is whether thermal throttling is occurring, where your processor speed drops due to the CPU's temperature becoming too high - had this problem myself recently and found my clock speed dropping by 66% when the throttling occurred.
Thanks; can't rule that out so will check with hwmonitor.
My desktop has a new ridiculously oversized Dark Rock heatsink though; but I haven't checked the temperatures since I installed it.

jappe

31 Jul 2018

MrFigg wrote:
31 Jul 2018
jappe wrote:
31 Jul 2018

I have Reason on a desktop + laptop with Reason 10, and it happens on both.

The thing with the DSP going up while scrolling is something that's been bugging me too. I've now optimized my PC as far as it goes which seems to have helped.
ok, sounds like it's curable; I'll see if I can find additional optimization advise/troubleshooting guide.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2018

jappe wrote:
31 Jul 2018
MrFigg wrote:
31 Jul 2018

ok, sounds like it's curable; I'll see if I can find additional optimization advise/troubleshooting guide.
I actually suspect it was a Windows 10 update which resolved all the performance problems for me. I couldn’t run more than 5 Europas and scroll without the DSP going through the roof then, as if by magic, everything started working great. :). Have you updated everything?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

01 Aug 2018

jappe wrote:
31 Jul 2018
Regarding graphics driver, I find it odd that I have the same problem on two machines despite different hardware if the graphics driver was the cause.It is nvidia both though, but very different models.
Graphics card driver do not really matter, as Reason doesn't use GPU o render its GUI :(

jappe

01 Aug 2018

MrFigg wrote:
01 Aug 2018
jappe wrote:
31 Jul 2018

I actually suspect it was a Windows 10 update which resolved all the performance problems for me. I couldn’t run more than 5 Europas and scroll without the DSP going through the roof then, as if by magic, everything started working great. :). Have you updated everything?
Yes I'm on latest release.
I'm running the plug and play versions of all drivers though, thinking they should be stable even though I've heard of people administering all hardware drivers manually.
I guess if I install manually I'll risk getting to drivers silently overridden in any future Windows update

jappe

01 Aug 2018

antic604 wrote:
01 Aug 2018
jappe wrote:
31 Jul 2018
Regarding graphics driver, I find it odd that I have the same problem on two machines despite different hardware if the graphics driver was the cause.It is nvidia both though, but very different models.
Graphics card driver do not really matter, as Reason doesn't use GPU o render its GUI :(
What I suspect is that there's something running in kernel mode that locks some common resource for too long.
The immediate thought is that Windows has changed something that Reason hasn't adapted to, but I'm really bit clueless here. AFAIK that's what happened with OSX.

A fact is that these days I spend an annoyingly large amount of time trying to resolve performance issues - and that's not something I needed to do a couple of years ago.

How I wish Props could supply tools for performance analysis and situational awareness...it's such a mystery to resolve without those.

PhutureD

01 Aug 2018

I was having the exact same problem as the OP, with new hardware , graphic card and updated audio drivers.
Performance was extremely bad when compared to R7 in Win 7. It could probably be fixed with ssd drives, which is
what I realized when I tested R10 on my work iMAC. R10 for me runs smooth on iMAC but poor on pc in WIN - 10.
I went back to WIN7, which is what I am on now and the major bottle neck for me are the internal sata drives.
Solution for me on this setup is to bounce everything to audio and to only use 16bit wave files. Anything higher
and the warning messages begin to appear.
Hope this helps.

• Information