Latency/ Sound Quality

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2018

I’m guessing this is a yes/ no answer but I don’t know if it’s yes or no :). When recording audio does using a lower latency result in any decrease in recording quality? I’m recording guitar and vocals at 64 without any crackling or popping and was just wondering. Thanks in advance for any help.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

aeox
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2018

The answer is no :D

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2018

aeox wrote:
31 Jul 2018
The answer is no :D
Tadaaaaa!!! Thanks man :):):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

normen

31 Jul 2018

In Reason it's no because all plugins always run at 64 samples internally. In other DAWs you *can* actually get sound differences with different buffer sizes because the algorithms simply might have to do things differently with less data at once. It's almost always corner cases though.

But no differences at all when just recording and not processing.

jlgrimes

02 Aug 2018

MrFigg wrote:
31 Jul 2018
I’m guessing this is a yes/ no answer but I don’t know if it’s yes or no :). When recording audio does using a lower latency result in any decrease in recording quality? I’m recording guitar and vocals at 64 without any crackling or popping and was just wondering. Thanks in advance for any help.
No.

That said using a lower latency increases chance of pops and clicks and can affect your DSP usage.

But if you aren't hearing any pops and clicks, you are at a good latency for recording.

Also if you don't need low latency, you are better off at something like 512 buffers or 1024. Your DSP meter will thank you.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2018

Thanks for the answers. Yeah...I’m recording guitar so if I use a higher buffer size and play to a click when listening back I notice a delay. So 64 it is :). Thanks again.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information