Does your music usually have more of an introvertic or extrovertic nature

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deepndark

28 Jul 2018

Vacuum and introvertic here.
Last edited by deepndark on 29 Jul 2018, edited 3 times in total.

esselfortium

28 Jul 2018

Reason doesn't have music. You have music.

Reason doesn't have a sound. You have a sound.

edit: Well, this reply doesn't make a lot of sense anymore now that the thread title has changed.
Last edited by esselfortium on 29 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Jul 2018

What?
Edit: 7/29/18: you fixed title, it's understandable now.
Last edited by aeox on 29 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.

sdst
Competition Winner

28 Jul 2018

extrovertic. :thumbs_up:

deepndark

28 Jul 2018

One answer so far, keep em coming, to give an example to those who don't know how to do it without an example.

motuscott

28 Jul 2018

esselfortium wrote:
28 Jul 2018

What then of the famous "Reason sound"?
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

deepndark

28 Jul 2018

motuscott wrote:
28 Jul 2018
esselfortium wrote:
28 Jul 2018

Reason sound? What's that? A sound that limits your music to sound like the big boys do? A sound that never cuts much enough?

Ostermilk

28 Jul 2018

Vacuous and vapid mostly.

Undistraction

28 Jul 2018

Vascillistic mainly but a touch of inpetus. Certainly not extroverticustcal.

guitfnky

28 Jul 2018

ah, the age-old question...introvertical or extrovertical? 🙃
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 Jul 2018

I haven't looked at my music in those terms before. But if I had to pick one I would say that most of my music is more extroverted, which is interesting because I'm more of an introvert as a person.

I'm not sure Reason as a DAW has much to do with it though. I would say what specific synths or effects I work with have a much stronger impact on how a song end up.

JoeMusik

28 Jul 2018

motuscott wrote:
28 Jul 2018
esselfortium wrote:
28 Jul 2018

http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/h ... ty-406692/

Here's a hole thread on FP that went on for about 9 months that discusses the "Reason sound".
The topic has been been beaten to death, all it amounts to is that armatures don't know how to properly use the software and thats easily spotted by long time users.

deepndark

29 Jul 2018

JoeMusik wrote:
28 Jul 2018
motuscott wrote:
28 Jul 2018

Here's a hole thread on FP that went on for about 9 months that discusses the "Reason sound".
The topic has been been beaten to death, all it amounts to is that armatures don't know how to properly use the software and thats easily spotted by long time users.
That thread was cretaed when Reason didn't have either REs or VSTs. I could never make as good music as I can nowdays, as we have a choice to use almost every 3rd party instrument and effect.
And this thread wasn't about Reason's Soundquality in a first place.

selig
RE Developer

29 Jul 2018

deepndark wrote:
JoeMusik wrote:
28 Jul 2018

That thread was cretaed when Reason didn't have either REs or VSTs. I could never make as good music as I can nowdays, as we have a choice to use almost every 3rd party instrument and effect.
Maybe edit your title to remove any confusion, deleting the reference to “Reason music’s sound”?

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

deepndark

29 Jul 2018

selig wrote:
29 Jul 2018
deepndark wrote:
Maybe edit your title to remove any confusion, deleting the reference to “Reason music’s sound”?

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
But you all use Reason. <-- i.e. I would have there FL Studio if we'd all use that instead.
EDIT: The "You DO" part should explain that.

deepndark

29 Jul 2018

But as the crowd wanted it, the title is edited to avoid confusion.

jimmyklane

29 Jul 2018

Interesting question! One with a complex answer from me at least. I write my own music for me, channeling my own emotions and thoughts into what I put down into audio. In a sense, my music is the antithesis of generative music and what I’d call deterministic music.

Often I’ll begin writing from a point of confusion or an emotion like indifference or apathy and it’s during those times that I end up with 16 or 32 bars of technically proficient but emotionally lacking music. Almost a loop more than a section of song. It’s the times when I come to the piano with a sense of knowing....of deep intuition....that my music takes shape.

For any of you that have explored my soundcloud feed, you’ll have heard that I explore many genres and get into “kicks” where I’m using the genre template that speaks to me at that moment in my life. In general, I’m raising and expressing an emotion within myself and the hope is to raise that same set of emotions within the listener.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

PSoames

29 Jul 2018

I eagerly await the day that, some developer, somewhere in the world, markets an RE that faithfully recreates the famous, "Reason Sound." I wanna feel nostalgic for a place in history that didn't exist, yet through clever marketing and hype, be convinced I can't compose without it.

As to the OP's question, my music turns itself inside out so what was introvert is now extrovert and vice versa. However, this makes the reverse engineering of a tune an overly complex process and is filled with many imponderables. Add to that, my propensity to use anti-chords and upside-down notes and things go north very quickly.

motuscott

29 Jul 2018

Instabuy
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

aeox
Competition Winner

29 Jul 2018

deepndark wrote:
28 Jul 2018
Could you explain what "introvertic" or "extrovertic" music means? I've never even heard these words before.

Biolumin3sc3nt

29 Jul 2018

motuscott wrote:
29 Jul 2018
Instabuy
LOL ...now that made me laugh!

deepndark

29 Jul 2018

aeox wrote:
29 Jul 2018
deepndark wrote:
28 Jul 2018
Could you explain what "introvertic" or "extrovertic" music means? I've never even heard these words before.
Nothing more than which one you feel while listening to your stuff.

aeox
Competition Winner

29 Jul 2018

deepndark wrote:
29 Jul 2018
aeox wrote:
29 Jul 2018

Nothing more than which one you feel while listening to your stuff.
Thanks for the clarification!
deepndark wrote:
29 Jul 2018
("Does your music usually have more of an introvertic or extrovertic nature")
I think my instinct and intuition always take me in a few directions. Which is, coming up with a chord progression and lead melody if i'm in that mindset/mood. The other direction being, pulling out a previous chord progression midi that I've made and using that as a basis for sound design experimentation. Therefore by nature, I tend to make more experimental and "introverted" music.

That's not to say that I don't make "extroverted" music. I do all the time, but it's usually something that is forced. (following a song structure to appeal to the masses, dance tracks,etc)

deepndark

30 Jul 2018

As about "Reason Sound" I admitt of being wrong back then. The real reasons for my critics came from my mental health problems. I had really depressing, anxious, frustrated times and couldn't really feel satisfied about anything.
Life can sometimes launch all kinds of mis-leading beliefs.

househoppin09

30 Jul 2018

There's no shame in that, deepndark, and I for one admire you for being willing to admit your past mistakes and learn from them. You're on the right track mate, here's to your progress! :thumbs_up:

• Information