Do you think reason will ever get a better sampler?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
avasopht
Competition Winner

04 Aug 2021

I got a feeling this sampler might help create the type of effects you find in Outputs plugins

slic

04 Aug 2021

DaveyG wrote:
04 Aug 2021
slic wrote:
04 Aug 2021

There is surprisingly little information/leaks or even rumours....amazing really! We basilcay know nothing at all!
You'll find out in just 28 sleeps. That's just 20 more sleeps than the sampler has channels. :-)
27 sleeps for Reason+ users as we get early access ;)

Creativemind

04 Aug 2021

DaveyG wrote:
04 Aug 2021
slic wrote:
04 Aug 2021

There is surprisingly little information/leaks or even rumours....amazing really! We basilcay know nothing at all!
You'll find out in just 28 sleeps. That's just 20 more sleeps than the sampler has channels. :-)
Oh yeah, released September 1st according to Stock Music Musician.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

QVprod

04 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
04 Aug 2021
Has anyone got any better quality pics (with maybe more to show) of Mimic yet?

DaveyG

04 Aug 2021

Actually, you CAN hurry love but it's not always appreciated.

thefixr

04 Aug 2021

lowtom wrote:
21 Jul 2021
helmutson wrote:
19 Jul 2021
After no more reliable evidences ( :lol: ) , I really don't think this pic is Mimic Sampler. It's so poorly designed ... no way. Thats a fake for sure ...
And what makes you so sure? :puf_bigsmile:

Here is another screengrab. mimic.png

Sorry but I will not state the source as I'm not the one who will point fingers. It obviously was leaked unintenionally.
Oosh. Now that I see the larger screenshot I can tell who the source is.
YouTube.com/iamthefixr

jaeproduced

10 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
18 Jul 2021
jam-s wrote:
18 Jul 2021

Going from past experience RS will turn this list into a pick 2 or pick 3 at most or to implement all features but in a somewhat broken way. :twisted:
I'm afraid to say you're right.

They add quantizing of audio with the slice edit and don't add transient time displays or transient sensitivity.

They update the mixer in 7 and didn't add more sends, ganged faders, PDC (which is very needed for Parallel Processing which was added in that version) or collapsible subgroups.

They add a browser in 8 and didn't add sync'ing of both the rack and sequencer browsers nor an audio wave display or tempo sync.

They add themes in 9 and not have them apply to the mixer and have to restart Reason to apply.

They added slicing midi notes in 9 but didn't add joining to notes with it.

They added Bounce In Place in 9 but didn't include Merging or a Mono bounce option.

They added Curved Automaton in 11 and didn't add multiple curves or drawable curves.

They added Audio Crossfades in 11 but again only one curve and no vertical alignment.

They added thatcwuick drawing of notes in 11 but doesn't work vertically.

They added Muting Notes in 11 but you have to click the individual notes instead of being able scroll which would've been really elligant.

They added that Highlighting Notes in 11 but no midi controller key highlighting across the note row so you can quickly find where that note is on your midi controller.
So unfortunately you were right the New Mimic Sampler was just released and the new NNXT/Grain combo already feels outdated. There is No tempo detect/tempo match, No key detect & key shift
No trigger mode "makes the sample play in a one shot fashion" (tap my midi controller and have the sample play all the way until the end without having to hold the pad/key down) No sample choke when trigger next sample it will play all over each other nor does it replace recycle or play rex slices. This really feels more like a free point update then a paid upgrade let's hope the new combinator doesn't fall short of expectations like these other updates...smh

loopeydoug

10 Aug 2021

jaeproduced wrote:
10 Aug 2021
Creativemind wrote:
18 Jul 2021

I'm afraid to say you're right.

They add quantizing of audio with the slice edit and don't add transient time displays or transient sensitivity.

They update the mixer in 7 and didn't add more sends, ganged faders, PDC (which is very needed for Parallel Processing which was added in that version) or collapsible subgroups.

They add a browser in 8 and didn't add sync'ing of both the rack and sequencer browsers nor an audio wave display or tempo sync.

They add themes in 9 and not have them apply to the mixer and have to restart Reason to apply.

They added slicing midi notes in 9 but didn't add joining to notes with it.

They added Bounce In Place in 9 but didn't include Merging or a Mono bounce option.

They added Curved Automaton in 11 and didn't add multiple curves or drawable curves.

They added Audio Crossfades in 11 but again only one curve and no vertical alignment.

They added thatcwuick drawing of notes in 11 but doesn't work vertically.

They added Muting Notes in 11 but you have to click the individual notes instead of being able scroll which would've been really elligant.

They added that Highlighting Notes in 11 but no midi controller key highlighting across the note row so you can quickly find where that note is on your midi controller.
So unfortunately you were right the New Mimic Sampler was just released and the new NNXT/Grain combo already feels outdated. There is No tempo detect/tempo match, No key detect & key shift
No trigger mode "makes the sample play in a one shot fashion" (tap my midi controller and have the sample play all the way until the end without having to hold the pad/key down) No sample choke when trigger next sample it will play all over each other nor does it replace recycle or play rex slices. This really feels more like a free point update then a paid upgrade let's hope the new combinator doesn't fall short of expectations like these other updates...smh
That's what I call the old Props Hamstring! I sure hope they put everything they have into the new Combinator, as it's been my number 1 wishlist item for 10 years!

Matti

11 Aug 2021

Do you think reason will ever get a better sampler?
Absolutely. About every four years.

Gardinski

13 Aug 2021

jaeproduced wrote:
10 Aug 2021

No trigger mode "makes the sample play in a one shot fashion" (tap my midi controller and have the sample play all the way until the end without having to hold the pad/key down)
Surely you can achieve this by simply setting the ADSR Release high enough to play the entire sample.

I do however share your frustration about the lack of tempo matching/precise stretching. That's a great shame for a device like this. I've been trying to work around it by mentally dividing the desired tempo by the known tempo of the loop, and then slowing the playback by that percentage.

It works o.k. (-ish), but it's impossible to get it absolutely precise if, say, you're wanting it to play back at 86.3% of full speed (as you would if you had a 110 bpm loop which you were trying to fit into a 95 bpm song, for instance).

In the end, I settled for something like 86.7%, which would have led to the loop being out of sync after a few bars, so I cheated by cutting it short, retriggering it every bar or two and whacking some reverb on to cover the join. It sort of worked, but really, it should be so much easier.

Don't get me wrong: I LOVE this device, and it's really making me look at sampling in a new way (specifically the mangling of my own guitar tracks) - but that tempo-matching issue definitely needs to be rethought in a point update, if poss.

• Information