Strange occurences in Reason 10.1.2d1: MIDI CC#11 Causing Massive DSP Spikes with Kontakt's Session Horns Pro

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
1ReasonOrAnother

25 Jul 2018

Hi,

I may have found a cute little bug: I've recently started using Native Instruments Session Horns Pro again after acquiring a new (old) system. Just as I'd fixed the issue with hyper-threading and CPU spikes, I've now discovered that when using Session Horns Pro (via Kontakt 5.3) while activating the MIDI CC#11 (Expression) to handle velocity switching the DSP goes nuts no matter the buffer size nor sample rate. I've deleted all other (non-brass) tracks, erased other events & notes in the Session horns track (leaving only the MIDI CC#11 message) and still the DSP remains heightened. The DSP literally seems to follow the swell pedal! Once I switch from MIDI CC#11 to key velocity in the VST the DSP levels return to normal! No other plug-in thus far has exhibited this behavior (Chris Hein Horns Compact, Sample Modeling, Session Strings Pro, VB3...). I'm just curious if anyone else has encounter this or am I missing something. Since this seems so isolated I doubt it will make Propellerhead's list of immediate 'To Dos', but I'd love to be able to use this brass (in the more authentic form) soon.
Reason zealot since 4.0
Dell Precision T7500
Dual Xeon X5675 Processors
96GB RAM
RME Babyface Pro
Reason 10 sole DAW (Pray for me)

jimmyklane

25 Jul 2018

Does CC11 do this on any instrument or just this particular Kontakt instrument? Unable to test ATM.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

normen

25 Jul 2018

Maybe try that instrument standalone with 64 samples buffer size, might also be a bug in the instrument thats only relevant when using such low roundtrip times. If the instrument for some dumb reason waits just 1 millisecond each buffer then that won't even register on the DSP meter at 512 samples but at 64 samples it would use 100% DSP right away without even doing any DSP ;)

chimp_spanner

25 Jul 2018

I've had this in Cubase with Kontakt's choir vowel morph patches. Don't think I was ever able to track down the cause. Sometimes it's an issue, sometimes not. Higher latency seems to help, as it does with most things. I'm out of the house atm so I can't check just now but I'll have a look on mine when I get back, as I also have SHP.

• Information