Sending/routing MIDI between tracks?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kenchiltk

22 Jul 2018

I use kontakt a lot, for this i create a setup of say drums in a kontakt instance each drum reacting to a different MIDI channel and then I need to setup a MIDI track where I set the channel it's sending to, say track 2 channel 5 where the kontakt instance is loaded.

I use this a lot to create setups in kontakt so I can easily load a complete setup of various instruments and route midi to the track it's on.

Can't really figure this out, but such a simple thing must be possible or else I need to load something like 18 kontakt instances just for the drums which would be extremely wastefull.

I have other multichannel instruments that I need this for.

Anyone know how to handle this in Reason? I can do it in all other DAWs but I'm stumped figuring this simple task in Reason since I'm still pretty new at it :)

I tried using note lanes but there doesn't seem to be any way to set the channel they are sending on :(

Thanks for any help :)

jam-s

22 Jul 2018

Reason does not support multi channel instruments, yet.

kenchiltk

22 Jul 2018

Thanks.

That's crazy, say I load LA Scoring strings which uses often 20 or more instruments in a single kontakt instance I need to load 20 tracks with 20 kontakt instances and the interplay scripting between instruments won't work anymore.

jam-s

22 Jul 2018

In short: yes.

One possible workaround is using a virtual midi cable (software) and (a lot of) External Midi Instruments from Reason to send the Midi to standalone Kontakt. Getting the Audio back into Reason is a little troublesome, but there are some tutorials on this. (That's pretty much how you could already do VST in Reason before Reason had VST support.)

kenchiltk

22 Jul 2018

Yeah some virtual midi loopback driver and sending to a standalone kontakt is what I'm going to try.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

23 Jul 2018

I did a video the other day about this..

I use Jack to route the audio, planing on doing a video about jack when I get the time.

PoohBear

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T&T's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
My Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

kenchiltk

23 Jul 2018

Yeah the audio is my current problem, routing midi with a loopback driver is just standard oldshcool stuff but my problem currently is that I use ASIO to get decent latency when recording inside reaspm and the ASIO driver kills audio everywhere except in reason where the ASIO is setup so I can route the midi to a standalone kontakt but the audio won't play because ASIO won't allow the audio to be shared in the standalone kontakt player :(

househoppin09

27 Jul 2018

What you need is a virtual audio cable with a low-latency ASIO driver. VB-Audio's products (available at https://www.vb-audio.com/) might fit the bill--they've got several different offerings, all of which are free, and at least some of which do have ASIO drivers. Try them all and you should be able to get your needs met somehow. If absolutely necessary, you could use two virtual cable instances, with one running from the output of Kontakt to the input of Reason and another running from the output of Reason to the physical outputs of your audio hardware.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

27 Jul 2018

kenchiltk wrote:
23 Jul 2018
Yeah the audio is my current problem, routing midi with a loopback driver is just standard oldshcool stuff but my problem currently is that I use ASIO to get decent latency when recording inside reaspm and the ASIO driver kills audio everywhere except in reason where the ASIO is setup so I can route the midi to a standalone kontakt but the audio won't play because ASIO won't allow the audio to be shared in the standalone kontakt player :(
For the audio as I stated I use Jack and route the audio as you can see on the video back to Reason, it sets it self up a "ASIO Jackrouter" audio driver and you are not limited to just stereo.

As the above post has also suggested VB-Cable is another option which worked in a number of cases but I did have an issue with it can't remember off the top of my head and hence why I moved to jack (to be fair to VB-Cable I do very weird and complex setups)..

kenchiltk

28 Jul 2018

I'll give Jack a look, sounds great if it can be used to get audio back into reason from a standalone kontakt

NekujaK

29 Jul 2018

Wouldn't a simpler approach be to Rewire reason to another DAW (like Reaper) that hosts the Kontakt instrument(s), and when you're ready to mix, output the Kontakt stems from Reaper, then import and mix in Reason?

But maybe it's just me - all that MIDI routing makes my head spin :crazy:
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

29 Jul 2018

NekujaK wrote:
29 Jul 2018
Wouldn't a simpler approach be to Rewire reason to another DAW (like Reaper) that hosts the Kontakt instrument(s), and when you're ready to mix, output the Kontakt stems from Reaper, then import and mix in Reason?

I don't have another DAW and the midi and audio stuff is very quick and straight forward to setup..

NekujaK

29 Jul 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
29 Jul 2018
NekujaK wrote:
29 Jul 2018

I don't have another DAW and the midi and audio stuff is very quick and straight forward to setup..
Fair enough. I just remember struggling to get EZdrummer hooked into pre-9.5 Reason using virtual MIDI and audio cabling, and never could get it to work properly. After much trial and error, the best I could achieve was a stereo drum mix from EZD that lagged horribly inside Reason. But I'm sure this was entirely due to my own limited understanding of all the routing intricacies and overall lack of patience for such things :P
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

ejanuska

31 Jul 2018

I don't get why you can't load Kontakt as a VST in the rack and send MIDI to it as any other instrument?

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2018

ejanuska wrote:
31 Jul 2018
I don't get why you can't load Kontakt as a VST in the rack and send MIDI to it as any other instrument?
You can but only one channel.

househoppin09

31 Jul 2018

Surely the Props must be working on multichannel VST support as we speak? Preferably in a way that grants us full control over all MIDI signals and their routing? Come on Props, you know it's a winning proposition! ;)

ejanuska

03 Aug 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
31 Jul 2018

But isn't that how all instruments work here?

And concerning multi-channdl VST support, I doubt it.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

03 Aug 2018

ejanuska wrote:
03 Aug 2018
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
31 Jul 2018

But isn't that how all instruments work here?

And concerning multi-channdl VST support, I doubt it.
You will need to load up a Kontakt shell for each instrument you want in Reason, I have just shown away where you can have just one Kontakt shell with several instruments and how it works with Reason. I have not sat down and worked out how much DSP is saved doing this way or not.

• Information