Tech issue, Reason 10 and focusrite 2i2 2 gen

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Le Boeuf

21 Jul 2018

Hi friends!

So i got this issue whenever i work in reason and wanna hear music outside reason, (that could be Spotify, youtube, splice or something else)

I get a really annoying clipping sound, sometimes the song/sample even plays half speed or slower while clipping.

The real problem is that im very happy about the software-sample app called Splice and previewing samples in that is a hell for me, could anybody think of a fix?

I tried reinstalling the sounddriver many times.

im on windows 10 64 bit. :-)

tibah

21 Jul 2018

Not a real answer, but in the many years with different interfaces and drivers, some of them don't like to be "shared" among different applications and therefore might give you the issues you're describing.

Rason

21 Jul 2018

I had exactly the same problem when I got my interface! I believe it was caused by different (default) audio driver set in windows. Maybe I am wrong and I am not at my computer now, but I would say this can be fixed by changing it in windows to asio? Or something like this.

sent using Tapatalk

jlgrimes

21 Jul 2018

Le Boeuf wrote:
21 Jul 2018
Hi friends!

So i got this issue whenever i work in reason and wanna hear music outside reason, (that could be Spotify, youtube, splice or something else)

I get a really annoying clipping sound, sometimes the song/sample even plays half speed or slower while clipping.

The real problem is that im very happy about the software-sample app called Splice and previewing samples in that is a hell for me, could anybody think of a fix?

I tried reinstalling the sounddriver many times.

im on windows 10 64 bit. :-)
What sample rate are you at?

My guess is different sample rates might cause glitching.

Troublemecca

23 Jul 2018

I believe that while you are using the ASIO drivers windows (or something) won't let you access drm content... i.e. Spotify, youtube, etc. I assumed to discourage piracy.

That was my theory anyway... I've had the same problem from the get-go, and the sample rate made no difference. Can't watch a tutorial and work at the same time, sux :(

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

dioxide

23 Jul 2018

I had problems with my Focusrite also, especially in the summer when the mac osx computer would run hot. In the end I sold mine. Search on YouTube for focusrite and problems and I think you will find people with similar problems. Initially I was in contact with Focusrite support who were very helpful but they didn't acknowledge that there is a problem with their devices.

Le Boeuf

23 Jul 2018

Hey guys! Thanks a lot for your answers.
As one mentioned i also believe that it is a sample rate problem, but changing the sample rate back to default does not fix it.

I believe you should be able to work in a Daw and watch whatever you want outside of it.

Maybe its time for that UA Dsp now 😁

Exowildebeest

23 Jul 2018

Also try changing your buffer size in the Focusrite Asio Control panel (it's a separate .exe in the Focusrite directory, in case Mixcontrol or whatever it's called won't run (it won''t with me, it "can't find the hardware", a longstanding issue by now). I have it set to 512 at 48khz currently as that gives me sound without glitches across all applications, incl. Youtube etc. Also set the Windows sample rate setting to the same one as in the Focusrite Asio panel of course. I have a Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen btw.

I used to be happy with Focusrite, but the last few years sucked. Issues with both Win7 and Win10.

Troublemecca

23 Jul 2018

Le Boeuf wrote:Hey guys! Thanks a lot for your answers.
As one mentioned i also believe that it is a sample rate problem, but changing the sample rate back to default does not fix it.

I believe you should be able to work in a Daw and watch whatever you want outside of it.

Maybe its time for that UA Dsp now [emoji16]
If you leave it set to the directx drivers, it will work just fine, but of course you will get latency...

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Mintie Productions

02 Aug 2018

So, is there a Audio Interface which doesn't use Asio drivers?

Just so I can go in and out of reason while i'm playing video games, talking to people etc. I'd like to be able to use all my apps without having to switch and change between cards.

That are also compatible with windows 10. Scarlett 6i6 2nd would have been my choice although i'm seeing issues people are having running on windows 10 with the current drivers.

jappe

03 Aug 2018

In case you've made the daw optimization that restricts services from running in background, perhaps this is causing the interference?

https://www.google.se/amp/s/www.windows ... s-10%3famp

or tweak nr 3 in this list:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... Windows-10

candybag

03 Aug 2018

Exowildebeest wrote:
23 Jul 2018
Also try changing your buffer size in the Focusrite Asio Control panel (it's a separate .exe in the Focusrite directory, in case Mixcontrol or whatever it's called won't run (it won''t with me, it "can't find the hardware", a longstanding issue by now). I have it set to 512 at 48khz currently as that gives me sound without glitches across all applications, incl. Youtube etc. Also set the Windows sample rate setting to the same one as in the Focusrite Asio panel of course. I have a Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen btw.

I used to be happy with Focusrite, but the last few years sucked. Issues with both Win7 and Win10.
This solved it for me as well. 1024 makes everything but Reason stutter. Setting the buffer size to 256 or 512 in the standalone Asio Control Panel made it all go away. Don't know why that is, doesn't seem very logical?
Yamaha HS7 - HD600 - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - Akai MPK261 - AT2050 - Auralex Project 2™ Roominator Kit
9900K - 16 GB - 3xXB270HU - GTX 1080 ti

EnochLight

03 Aug 2018

Mintie Productions wrote:
02 Aug 2018
So, is there a Audio Interface which doesn't use Asio drivers?
Sure - pretty much all interfaces on OSX. :D :lol:

ASIO is specifically the low-latency audio driver that is required for Windows only. Unfortunately, the industry didn't embrace Microsoft's (admittedly pathetic) attempt at stock OS low-latency drivers (Windows Audio Session API and AudioGraph), although those aren't even really considered drivers. They're API's needed for other people's drivers. :roll: :? Ohhhhh Microsoft...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Exowildebeest

03 Aug 2018

candybag wrote:
03 Aug 2018
Exowildebeest wrote:
23 Jul 2018

This solved it for me as well. 1024 makes everything but Reason stutter. Setting the buffer size to 256 or 512 in the standalone Asio Control Panel made it all go away. Don't know why that is, doesn't seem very logical?
I think it's just Focusrite's crappy drivers and/or Windows 10 not getting along with the drivers :( In the end, Focusrite is responsible.

KnowKontrol

09 Aug 2018

:/ I have a 8i6 and am having the same problem from time to time in windows, I'v been trying everything to resolve the issue. it is a pain... I love my interface, but indeed it may be time to switch.

Fotu

21 Sep 2018

Thanks to this thread I swapped out my Focusrite 2i2 (gen 1) for an RME several weeks ago and as a result I no longer have chronic audio playback 'hesitation' issues that long plagued me before. I had previously thought these were just due to my relatively old Win PC, and so had gone down the PC optimization paths as best I could. It is now clear the issues were related to the interface quality (drivers, etc.).

Just leaving this note in case some future reader is wresting with 'PC optimizations'... it may be the interface!

elMisse

21 Sep 2018

Probably 10 years with Windows and Focusrite, No Problems.
There is a couple of reasons gen1 and 2 Scarletts are the most sold interfaces in Europe... ;)

Here is another thing that I have done to all my WIN workstations:

Disable all other sound devices preferably at BIOS-level.
Sound Settings -> Choose Scarlett -> Preferences -> Additional preferences etc... -> Change to 2ch 24bit 44100.

If problem persists:
Sound Settings -> Diagnose -> Choose Scarlett asio USB -> Do as suggested if it suggests something.
This sometimes fixes settings-conflicts inside windows etc.

EnochLight

21 Sep 2018

Fotu wrote:
21 Sep 2018
Thanks to this thread I swapped out my Focusrite 2i2 (gen 1) for an RME several weeks ago and as a result I no longer have chronic audio playback 'hesitation' issues that long plagued me before. I had previously thought these were just due to my relatively old Win PC, and so had gone down the PC optimization paths as best I could. It is now clear the issues were related to the interface quality (drivers, etc.).

Just leaving this note in case some future reader is wresting with 'PC optimizations'... it may be the interface!
Great choice! RME has some of the most rock solid stable drivers for their audio interfaces in the industry. One thing I discovered when I went with a Babyface Pro is that I can have my sample buffer set at a much lower amount, and while I still may get occasional pop/click when I'm taxing my system, it's at least usable. No prior audio interface that I had would allow that (MOTU, M-Audio, and Prop's own Balance).

Anyway, congrats on resolving your issue!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

sublunar

21 Sep 2018

This seems to be a recurring theme. I know because I've made roughly the same comment here more than a handful of times.

I owned two Focusrite 18i20's (I bought the first one used, thought it was bad, bought a new one, was equally disappointed). They were buggy/unstable. And they definitely didn't share audio duties well. I tried Focusrite's new and outdated drivers. I tried shipped and updated firmware. I'm in IT and built a brand new machine which I optimized for audio production. It wasn't my computer's fault, from what I could tell. It *could have* been an incompatibility with the chipset though, maybe. Seems like a strong possibility at this point, that there may be some chipset compatibility issues, considering how often people on here mention focusrite issues. But I wasted way too much time trying to get the 18i20 to not suck ass already, I eventually threw in the towel.

I solved my focusrite issues by selling them and getting something else. In my case, an M-Audio M-Track Eight. Worked flawlessly right of the box. Didn't have to tweak anything upon plugging it in. I use it daily at the lowest latency without issue.

Le Boeuf

21 Sep 2018

Fotu wrote:
21 Sep 2018

That's great, got tired of mine too and swapped to an Apollo Twin with thunderbolt 3, which was a pain in the a** to install on my PC as i couldn't get the Thunderbolt expansion card to work right, but once i figured it out, the card and sound has just been rock steady, glad i changed!
It was plug n play on my MacBook tho :D

• Information