Best sidechain in reason 10

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
howtobecalm

06 Feb 2020

ortxedys wrote:
03 Aug 2019
I don't usually post on this forum but I want to suggest a FREE :re: that NOBODY ever mentions.

Distort Chain :re: : https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... ion-chain/

It has a follower section.
1. You route whatever input signal you want in the back.
2. Go to the little "F" on the top left corner
3. The higher you turn up the input on the follower section, the more pronounced the pumping will be.
4. Set your attack and release to taste.
5. Go to the "M" right below the "F"
6. Click on the little button right next to the "Vol" setting
7. In layman's terms, theres 3 settings here: orange, green, and blue. Turn the blue one all the way to the left (or down).
Voila

I'll be honest, I didn't know this RE existed up until about a week ago or so. I was considering buying a new RE just to get a "snappier" sidechain effect. Not that the ones stock in Reason aren't good enough.. I just noticed they all have their own "sound." Don't let the way it looks nor the amount of steps fool you. I genuinely feel it sounds great and was surprised I never even heard of it. The video on the page gave me a rough of idea that it was even possible.

I didn't end up spending any money, that's always a plus.
Sorry if I resurrected a dead thread. But I feel people need to know about this.
Let me know if this was useful to anybody.
sounds cool is this a good way ?

ortxedys

07 Feb 2020

howtobecalm wrote:
06 Feb 2020
ortxedys wrote:
03 Aug 2019
I don't usually post on this forum but I want to suggest a FREE :re: that NOBODY ever mentions.

Distort Chain :re: : https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... ion-chain/

It has a follower section.
1. You route whatever input signal you want in the back.
2. Go to the little "F" on the top left corner
3. The higher you turn up the input on the follower section, the more pronounced the pumping will be.
4. Set your attack and release to taste.
5. Go to the "M" right below the "F"
6. Click on the little button right next to the "Vol" setting
7. In layman's terms, theres 3 settings here: orange, green, and blue. Turn the blue one all the way to the left (or down).
Voila

I'll be honest, I didn't know this RE existed up until about a week ago or so. I was considering buying a new RE just to get a "snappier" sidechain effect. Not that the ones stock in Reason aren't good enough.. I just noticed they all have their own "sound." Don't let the way it looks nor the amount of steps fool you. I genuinely feel it sounds great and was surprised I never even heard of it. The video on the page gave me a rough of idea that it was even possible.

I didn't end up spending any money, that's always a plus.
Sorry if I resurrected a dead thread. But I feel people need to know about this.
Let me know if this was useful to anybody.
For me its all about how it sounds. All sidechains have a different sound depending on the compressor and I like the sound of this one. You can get a harsh pumping sound out of it. Like, you can have it duck all the way to -0db. Its fairly quick to accomplish once you know what you're doing.

I would suggest you try it out. It is free after all. It wont cost you anything.

howtobecalm

07 Feb 2020

ortxedys wrote:
07 Feb 2020
howtobecalm wrote:
06 Feb 2020

For me its all about how it sounds. All sidechains have a different sound depending on the compressor and I like the sound of this one. You can get a harsh pumping sound out of it. Like, you can have it duck all the way to -0db. Its fairly quick to accomplish once you know what you're doing.

I would suggest you try it out. It is free after all. It wont cost you anything.
could u set save up a little template to show me if u have time cheers bud 🙂

howtobecalm

07 Feb 2020

ortxedys wrote:
07 Feb 2020
howtobecalm wrote:
06 Feb 2020

im trying it out but i dont know exactly how to use it this way sounds ibteresting i want to learn it so what routes in the back the kickdrum ?

ortxedys

08 Feb 2020

howtobecalm wrote:
07 Feb 2020
ortxedys wrote:
07 Feb 2020

im trying it out but i dont know exactly how to use it this way sounds ibteresting i want to learn it so what routes in the back the kickdrum ?
Im considering making a video about it. I'll keep you posted on when I put it up. Sometimes its easier to just show people.

howtobecalm

08 Feb 2020

ortxedys wrote:
08 Feb 2020
howtobecalm wrote:
07 Feb 2020

Im considering making a video about it. I'll keep you posted on when I put it up. Sometimes its easier to just show people.
a template would do me lol i could see how you wired it but a video would be awesome thanks

El-Maniaque

03 Jan 2022

I refresh the plot because I faced a sidehain problem in my finished spacesynth-style track. I want the kick not to overlap with the bass too much in frequency and I don't know how to make the sidehain good. The bass plays with short sixteenths in time signature 4 /. How to make Pump or Synchronous compress only when the kick is playing and when the bass itself is left intact.

Regards :)

deeplink
Competition Winner

03 Jan 2022

El-Maniaque wrote:
03 Jan 2022
I refresh the plot because I faced a sidehain problem in my finished spacesynth-style track. I want the kick not to overlap with the bass too much in frequency and I don't know how to make the sidehain good. The bass plays with short sixteenths in time signature 4 /. How to make Pump or Synchronous compress only when the kick is playing and when the bass itself is left intact.

Just shape the bass using Sweeper or Synchronous
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

jam-s

03 Jan 2022

El-Maniaque wrote:
03 Jan 2022

You could use an actual sidechain input on a compressor instead of a time based ducker/pumper.

El-Maniaque

03 Jan 2022

I am just starting my adventure with sidehain. How to combine it? My drums are done in redrum on patterns. Each instrument is channeled redrum to a separate mix channel. I have the bass from a combinator based on an arpeggiator. How to connect it with cables? Mixchannel with a dynamic range stick in the bass mixchannel? And turn on the SSL compressor on the bass channel or something else? I'm lost here.

deeplink
Competition Winner

03 Jan 2022

El-Maniaque wrote:
03 Jan 2022
I am just starting my adventure with sidehain. How to combine it? My drums are done in redrum on patterns. Each instrument is channeled redrum to a separate mix channel. I have the bass from a combinator based on an arpeggiator. How to connect it with cables? Mixchannel with a dynamic range stick in the bass mixchannel? And turn on the SSL compressor on the bass channel or something else? I'm lost here.
Turn the rack around. Send the parallel output of your kick drum to the sidechain input of your bass. Turn on the compressor on the SSL. Usually set the compressor at a fast attack and low threshold, adjust the release as required.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

El-Maniaque

03 Jan 2022

deeplink wrote:
03 Jan 2022
El-Maniaque wrote:
03 Jan 2022
Turn the rack around. Send the parallel output of your kick drum to the sidechain input of your bass. Turn on the compressor on the SSL. Usually set the compressor at a fast attack and low threshold, adjust the release as required.
Yeah !!1 it works :) Big thx :)

• Information