Best sidechain in reason 10

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
DaveJ330

19 Jul 2018

Hi guys ive just upgraded from reason 4 to 10 and have never really done sidechaining before with reason. So whats the most simple and effective way of doing it for EDM type music and should it just be done on the bass drum and bass line tracks or on everything or what? Not sure where to start as there seems quite a few ways of doing it. So what works best for you and why?

Cheers for any replies

Micha1973

19 Jul 2018

see here*

Music Is My Life
&
Reason 12 sounds better :essentials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW3Wr ... gA05XklBng

DaveJ330

20 Jul 2018

Thanks for the reply i watched the video and have set up a template cheers👍

michal22

20 Jul 2018

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-extension/pump/
This is the best solution for me today. Why? Because it has a send mode. Insert Pump as the send effect, choose send mode and now you can sidechain on multiple channels - on each with a different strength (only one pump). A great solution.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

DaveJ330

20 Jul 2018

Looks cool will check it out and its only £17 so cant go wrong really👍

drloop

20 Jul 2018

1 Send the channels that I would like to sidechain to a mixer bus.
2 Put a Propellerhead Synchronous on the bus and select a sidechain preset and then adjust the curve as a want it for that song.

Loque

20 Jul 2018

Here is another one of the trillion possiblities to create a side chain effect. This works with send fx (might be implemented in a better way, but it works) and just uses a Mixer for volume control, a Matrix for trigger gate and a Janitor for shaping the gate curve (side chain signal).
Attachments
ubersimplesidechainviasend.zip
(97.9 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Reason12, Win10

wireless

20 Jul 2018

Micha1973 wrote:
19 Jul 2018
see here*
Thanks Micha - I enjoyed that!

chimp_spanner

20 Jul 2018

michal22 wrote:
20 Jul 2018
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-extension/pump/
This is the best solution for me today. Why? Because it has a send mode. Insert Pump as the send effect, choose send mode and now you can sidechain on multiple channels - on each with a different strength (only one pump). A great solution.
Oh my god I use Pump in almost everything and I never knew you could do that! Absolutely amazing. Such a time saver. Thank you!! I'm imagining it uses some sort of phase cancellation to achieve this to varying degrees in a single send?

madmacman

20 Jul 2018

Don't forget to check out the Demo Song "Airplane" by Carlström!

It uses Synchronous (Presets available) as ducking effect on a separate channel.

But I confess, I use Pump all the time! ;)

jimmyklane

20 Jul 2018

Of course you can use the SSL compressor for this by using the sidechain inputs. It can be used as a de-esser (using the mclass stereo effect), keyed ducker, or even keyed gating (opposite of the sidechain pumping you want).....however I’ll be the first to admit that it’s only got one response curve and that may not be appropriate for the song in question.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

tibah

20 Jul 2018

For the 4-to-da-floor pumping obviously Synchronous, SideChain ReAction Enveloper, FrameCV, Pump. I personally use the Cableguys "Lite" version of Volume Shaper aka Nicky Romero's Kickstart. If you don't mind seeing an artist name that you may or may not like, it's a great, cheap little VST, but of course Synchronous should be available to most Reason users now.

If I remember correctly Selig posted a sidechain setup using the SSL sends either in the PUF days or in the early incarnation of RT and I think in some folder of my ext. HDD I still have it.

And then you have Daniel Kandi (trance producer) that used Reason 3 for ages still and simply did volume automation. ;)

DaveJ330

20 Jul 2018

Some great posts in here cheers guys, defo getting pump but nice to see other options👍

michal22

21 Jul 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
20 Jul 2018
Oh my god I use Pump in almost everything and I never knew you could do that! Absolutely amazing. Such a time saver. Thank you!! I'm imagining it uses some sort of phase cancellation to achieve this to varying degrees in a single send?
Yes, this mode uses a reversed phase signal. I am very happy that this information was helpful for you. :)
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

Skimrok

03 Aug 2019

Fantastic I be checking these tips soon,sorry to bring a old post from the dead gang
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

selig
RE Developer

03 Aug 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
20 Jul 2018
Should be noted we've discussed the send approach for years here and on the old PUF, and yes a simple polarity invert is the key to this process. Can do it with stock Reason devices too, as has been discussed before. You could easily make your own template to have this setup already in a Reason song.
Selig Audio, LLC

Spryx

03 Aug 2019

About a million ways to do it. Depends on the type of instrument. If you want to kill the full spectrum, the built-in compressor is the best way.
Pump (previously suggested) is also a good RE if you want instant results. Unfortunately, it doesn't support multiple band compression.

I find myself using VolumeShaper and sometimes Pro-MB much more often these days. That said, there isn't any reason you couldn't build your own multiband compressor in reason.
latest:

Karim
Competition Winner

03 Aug 2019

Syncronous all the way is the best companion.
Second choice I use pump.
just 2 click to configure instead cabling and messing with signals.
DaveJ330 wrote:
19 Jul 2018
Hi guys ive just upgraded from reason 4 to 10 and have never really done sidechaining before with reason. So whats the most simple and effective way of doing it for EDM type music and should it just be done on the bass drum and bass line tracks or on everything or what? Not sure where to start as there seems quite a few ways of doing it. So what works best for you and why?

Cheers for any replies
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Skimrok

03 Aug 2019

Karim wrote:
03 Aug 2019
Syncronous all the way is the best companion.
Second choice I use pump.
just 2 click to configure instead cabling and messing with signals.
DaveJ330 wrote:
19 Jul 2018

Cheers for any replies

Any Tutorials on Syncronous doing sidechaining?

I’ve mucked about with the SSL tonight I got a bit of ducking so I fancy looking at above now especially if there is a easy to do guide with that device ;)
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

ortxedys

03 Aug 2019

I don't usually post on this forum but I want to suggest a FREE :re: that NOBODY ever mentions.

Distort Chain :re: : https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... ion-chain/

It has a follower section.
1. You route whatever input signal you want in the back.
2. Go to the little "F" on the top left corner
3. The higher you turn up the input on the follower section, the more pronounced the pumping will be.
4. Set your attack and release to taste.
5. Go to the "M" right below the "F"
6. Click on the little button right next to the "Vol" setting
7. In layman's terms, theres 3 settings here: orange, green, and blue. Turn the blue one all the way to the left (or down).
Voila

I'll be honest, I didn't know this RE existed up until about a week ago or so. I was considering buying a new RE just to get a "snappier" sidechain effect. Not that the ones stock in Reason aren't good enough.. I just noticed they all have their own "sound." Don't let the way it looks nor the amount of steps fool you. I genuinely feel it sounds great and was surprised I never even heard of it. The video on the page gave me a rough of idea that it was even possible.

I didn't end up spending any money, that's always a plus.
Sorry if I resurrected a dead thread. But I feel people need to know about this.
Let me know if this was useful to anybody.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

03 Aug 2019

You can also use the CV out from Pump to control, say, the low shelf filter of GQ-7, that way you keep the high frequencies, but only duck the sub-bass for more head room (assuming you side chain when a kick hits). You can of course SC other frequency band(s) for creative FX.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

ortxedys

03 Aug 2019

DELETED. Sorry for double posting :oops:
Last edited by ortxedys on 11 Aug 2019, edited 5 times in total.

EdGrip

04 Aug 2019

There are ducking presets in the Synchronous patch bank. Just draw an appropriate envelope and have it modulate the Level control downwards (using the little modulation knob above it).

SideChain ReAction also great for this - it has detailed multi-band tools built in.

nooomy

04 Aug 2019

DaveJ330 wrote:
19 Jul 2018

Cheers for any replies
the sidechain rack i use the most is synchronous, it has 3 diffrent sidechain patches, they cover 98% of my needs

antic604

05 Aug 2019

Nobody ever mentions it in threads like this, but I've found DQ to be really great, because you can be more precise with it - you can duck specified frequency range in the traget track against different specified frequency range in the source, so e.g. you can only duck the sub in bassline against the mid/high-range initial click of the kick:

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rack-extension/dq/

• Information