What do I need in Reason to make music like this?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

aeox
Competition Winner

18 Jul 2018

Time

aeox
Competition Winner

18 Jul 2018

KirkMarkarian

18 Jul 2018

aeox wrote:
18 Jul 2018
Time
I own the 2020 app, but I prefer the workflow and ability to save properly in Reason. I've been using Reason since 2001, but I do not own every RE.

This is as close as I've gotten:

It's the closest I've gotten so far, but there's gotta be something that can get me closer. The Torsion RE pretty much allowed me to get there. Anything else that might work? I've got the Kompulsion RE too.

Ahornberg

19 Jul 2018

Maybe take a look at KRON https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-extension/kron/ ... btw you made a great album!

MannequinRaces

19 Jul 2018

PSQ for some unpredictability , Distillery (for glitches, etc.). Torsion is AWESOME! Like Ahornberg Kron can do some crazy things with CV.

scratchnsnifff

19 Jul 2018

Basically you need some lectric panda instruments (nostromo or torsion) probably more so torsion. But you could use the grain oscillator in grain and automate the grain length and spacing using a CV out from a 3rd party sequencer or matrix curve.

Get the air raid audio grain delay because we don’t have access to the U-he grain thing anymore :/
(Luckily I snagged it before it went away but it sucks that I can’t really recommend it anymore)

The idea is to make a song using pattern sequencers. Arpeggios and to have the sequencer control everything. The psq from lectric panda will be your best friend as it has random options. This will make your loop sound more like a song because of variations. You could also use the free Rostromo device and use random spacey sounding patches.

But like I said a lot of granular morphing and run stuff using a sequencer don’t forget reverb
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

KirkMarkarian

19 Jul 2018

Thank you all for the suggestions! I happen to also have PSQ, Nostromo, Distillery, and a few other glitchy bits. I had not thought of PSQ and Nostromo as something for the arpeggiated patterns. As a matter of fact, I hadn't even thought of arpeggios. I so rarely use them that they always slip by, so I think I may have to give that a go.

Thanks everybody for these excellent ideas :D

KirkMarkarian

20 Jul 2018

OK! Got KRON - this really helps, no foolin'! I hooked it up to 4 consecutive Glitch RE's, and it's soooooooo damn close to the speeds that I need. Gonna have to find a way to get a better on/off gate and stutter effect, but this is pretty much there.

Any RE's that would act as an on/off gate for more stuttering?

CephaloPod

20 Jul 2018

It's not an RE, but have you looked into Stutter Edit VST/AU? There's a bit of a learning curve to it, but it's crazy deep.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

two shoes

20 Jul 2018

accidental post
Last edited by two shoes on 20 Jul 2018, edited 2 times in total.

two shoes

20 Jul 2018

ammo 1200 from jiggery pokery and the new RND midi randomizer player from lectric panda are also great for this kind of stuff. as far as gated effects there's the kilohearts trance gate and you can do delay or filter based gate sounding stuff with synchronous, 3plex, le space, parafilter, or even alligator.

KirkMarkarian

20 Jul 2018

CephaloPod wrote:
20 Jul 2018
It's not an RE, but have you looked into Stutter Edit VST/AU? There's a bit of a learning curve to it, but it's crazy deep.
Yep, I have. I've never had good luck with any VST I've ever used, they have caused crashes. Since then, I've intentionally limited myself to REs, and I prefer it :)

KirkMarkarian

21 Jul 2018

two shoes wrote:
20 Jul 2018
ammo 1200 from jiggery pokery and the new RND midi randomizer player from lectric panda are also great for this kind of stuff. as far as gated effects there's the kilohearts trance gate and you can do delay or filter based gate sounding stuff with synchronous, 3plex, le space, parafilter, or even alligator.
I just got KRON and it's excellent - ammo looks neat, too! The other effects really (aside from synchronous) kind of fall into the usual dance music gate stuff. The effect that I enjoy the most is definitely a stutter combined with granular pitch shifting. It's a very specific, distillery does it, but it's not controllable in the manner I'd like.

KirkMarkarian

21 Jul 2018

OK, Got it. Took a while and invited some different perspectives on routing and RE usage. Thanks everyone for the time and help you provided! Here's a short video of a single jazz chord for just under a minute. You'll hear a lot of very subtle microsound changes over the course of the video.

Using Reason DAW, here is my emulation of the 2020 Beat Machine's effects portion (the parts I like), in a combinator format. I'm not providing the combinator for download, since all the images and devices are shown here at the bottom of the screen. It's easy enough to just copy the way it's wired. Get your hands dirty, you'll appreciate it more.

I already owned Glitch, and the KHs RE's. Wanting to put them to good use in a fashion that suits my tastes, I had to get KRON for the random, yet calculated feel of CV to RE. KRON is what made all of this possible to the degree that I was looking for. Yeah, I know there's a ton of LFO's, delays, CV options. This is the one that did it for me.

The initial step was to get the Glitch RE to be gentle on whatever devices go through the input. That took some taming via knob and probability positioning.

The next step was to get the repeated delay sound, without it sounding like a delay. The KHs delay is simple, low on the CPU and gets crispy if I choose, so I put that in the 200ms range, keeping the mix low and the ducking on. Other delays suggested required more purchasing, and ultimately didn't get me quite where I wanted to be. I'm going for an ultra-crispy Max/MSP and Pure Data sound.

Once that happened, the patch became more apparent. I connected KRON to the Glitch RE to randomly trigger the stutter and gate on and off, and the delay's timing, feedback, rate, and mix. All of a sudden I had the gating and stuttering patterns I was looking for. Low volume, sporadic, and most importantly, short. Since I'm not using this for EDM/dance, I kept the shuffle, tape stop and reverse effects out of there.

The rest of the effects were then plugged in to add other little bits of audio interest. Using more of the KHs plugins for their lightweight features and crisp sound, I added bitrate adjustment, pitch shifting, and filtering. All subtle, and gently triggered.

Finally, I put it into a combinator and attached that to the FX inputs so you can select what channel and how much. All for subtlety.

So, thanks again for all the help. Now I'm going to have to figure out how to make the arp/sequences I have also shift around from time to time - hopefully without purchasing more RE's, I have a truckload already :D
Attachments
Back.jpeg
Back.jpeg (350.38 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
Front.jpeg
Front.jpeg (310.84 KiB) Viewed 1276 times

KirkMarkarian

21 Jul 2018

OK, so take the pitch shift out of there, as it adds a bit of delay to the signal. Gets rid of the echo. Even if you adjust the ms to 20, it's still too much. No pitch shift. Oh well :D

• Information