Reason 4 to Reason 10: song import

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
braille

18 Jul 2018

What is the fastest way to re-route all my channels from the 14:2 to the new ssl mixer? Do I have to manually move each cable to a new mix channel?

what about automation on mute buttons, sends, and faders from the old mixer? copy and paste the automation lane to a new automation lane?

also, I have a vocal sample I'm using in the NN-XT. If i start the song from the beginning, it plays fine. Start the song in the middle, no vocal. What am I missing?

Thanks for any help!

Baylo

18 Jul 2018

Not sure I have an answer regarding the mixer - my inclination would be to leave it as is unless you need new features in the SSL. But for the vocal sample would you be better off moving the sample file to an audio track rather than using the NN-XT?

Mark

Loque

19 Jul 2018

That cannot be done fast or automatically, well at least if you want the same result. The eq sounds different, replicating all settings is difficult, send fx need to be rerouted, special routings are easily overlooked... You should not do this until you have a good reason for it. Btw, i still use the old mixers too, now beside the SSL.
Reason12, Win10

Ahornberg

19 Jul 2018

braille wrote:
18 Jul 2018
What is the fastest way to re-route all my channels from the 14:2 to the new ssl mixer? Do I have to manually move each cable to a new mix channel?

what about automation on mute buttons, sends, and faders from the old mixer? copy and paste the automation lane to a new automation lane?

also, I have a vocal sample I'm using in the NN-XT. If i start the song from the beginning, it plays fine. Start the song in the middle, no vocal. What am I missing?

Thanks for any help!
IMO moving from the 14:2 mixer to the SSL can only be done manually. After creating automation lanes for the new SSL channels you can just move the automation clips to these new lanes. But be aware that your song will sound different.

The vocals in the NN-XT seem to be triggered at the song start. You can simply record the vocals to audio tracks and then get rid of the NN-XT.

Good lock for remixing your song!

braille

19 Jul 2018

Thanks for the replies!
I did try deleting the 14:2 then selecting autoroute devices but that made everything go crazy. Originally I had seperate inputs coming out of my NNXT for different slices that were connected to various eqs and compressors, but none of them routed properly.

One of main reasons I updated was due to my irritation with the nnxt sampler's inability to play wav files if i started working in middle of the song. I figured by now (10years later) that would be fixed -- samplers in ableton 8 and sonar x2 can play a sample at any start point.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I'm reluctant to just drop the wav into an audio track because I lose all my parameter settings from the nnxt (tuning, attack, release, etc.).

Looks like I have to completely start from scratch and reroute/reautomate everything.

Thanks once again for the help!

Ahornberg

19 Jul 2018

braille wrote:
19 Jul 2018
Thanks for the replies!
I did try deleting the 14:2 then selecting autoroute devices but that made everything go crazy. Originally I had seperate inputs coming out of my NNXT for different slices that were connected to various eqs and compressors, but none of them routed properly.

One of main reasons I updated was due to my irritation with the nnxt sampler's inability to play wav files if i started working in middle of the song. I figured by now (10years later) that would be fixed -- samplers in ableton 8 and sonar x2 can play a sample at any start point.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I'm reluctant to just drop the wav into an audio track because I lose all my parameter settings from the nnxt (tuning, attack, release, etc.).

Looks like I have to completely start from scratch and reroute/reautomate everything.

Afaik NN-XT wasn't updated since Reason 4.

What about soloing and recording every channel from the 14:2 mixer to separate audio tracks?

selig
RE Developer

19 Jul 2018

With the complexity you describe, you’ll have to rebuild your mixes.

But consider this is no different than if you moved to a new studio and wanted to re-mix a song with the new tools - you’d have to do very similar re-configuring in that case too, something that was quite common back in the day.

In many cases you many find you can easily improve on the original mix because of not only the new gear, but also the new skills and perspective you’ve gained over the years since you first mixed the track.

My approach would be to save the original, and create a separate file for the new mix, then compare and choose. Would be a great way to learn the new features too, and worst case is that you stick with the old mix! :)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

tiker01

19 Jul 2018

braille wrote:
19 Jul 2018
g.

You could bounce in place the MIDI clip or the whole track of the NNXT to audio which then would include everything.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

braille

19 Jul 2018

Update!

I can't copy automation lanes from my reason 4 version to a new automation lane on the new mixer. not compatible. says its alien.

Trying to record my samples from the nnxt to the new mixer is overwhelming. I have to set up a mix channel for each individual sample output on the nnxt, then set up an audio track. By the time I do that I'll be sitting at 28 tracks (14 channels, 1 audio and 1 mix per channel)

Looks like I'll be spending the day rewiring and recreating the song from scratch. I really want to use these new features built into the new mixer. the compressor and eq functions combined with an analyzer look and sound great. I can't stand using the 14:2 mixer. Its so outdated.

selig
RE Developer

19 Jul 2018

braille wrote:Update!

I can't copy automation lanes from my reason 4 version to a new automation lane on the new mixer. not compatible. says its alien.

Trying to record my samples from the nnxt to the new mixer is overwhelming. I have to set up a mix channel for each individual sample output on the nnxt, then set up an audio track. By the time I do that I'll be sitting at 28 tracks (14 channels, 1 audio and 1 mix per channel)

Looks like I'll be spending the day rewiring and recreating the song from scratch. I really want to use these new features built into the new mixer. the compressor and eq functions combined with an analyzer look and sound great. I can't stand using the 14:2 mixer. Its so outdated.
One could argue that if you’re using different EQ and compression, your existing automation will likely not make much sense anyway. It’s a great way to learn the new features too IMO!

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information