Remanola - Alternative launchpad remote mapping for Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
nico

15 Jul 2018

I have created a new (among many) remote mapping for the the Novation Launchpad, there is mappings for the two launchpad's that I personally own, the Mini and the Pro.

My goal has been to try to do complete mappings of all Reason stock devices and some favorite RE's.

Here is the github repo with links to mac installer, zip file for manual install and user manual:
https://github.com/ocin/remanola

I'm using jinja2 templating to build the lua and remote files, there is currently no documentation on building this yourself from source, but look at ./install.sh and maybe you can figure it out. If there is interest I will create documentation for building and adding more reason devices.

I'm releasing this under GPL, so feel free to contribute, share and change.

Edit:
Here is a small intro video I created to show this off in a more consumer friendly manner :-)
Last edited by nico on 16 Jul 2018, edited 3 times in total.

Noise
Competition Winner

15 Jul 2018

Awesome!! I'm using the mini, so I will try this :) Thank you!
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

demt

15 Jul 2018

Isle give this a go later
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Catblack

15 Jul 2018

Wow. I'm looking over your code and this is a substantial body of work. I love that you are using the constant value trick ("DocPageName", "DeviceScope", "PageName", ...) in your remotemap. And I've never build my lua from separate files before. (My codec is long, but I know how to navigate it.)

Well since I've got two Launchpad Pros sitting here side by side, let me restart Reason and run yours!
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

nico

15 Jul 2018

Here is a small intro video I created to show this off in a more consumer friendly manner :-)
Last edited by nico on 16 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Noise
Competition Winner

16 Jul 2018

So, I been "quick" testing this, and I found this to be the ultimate remote mapping for the Launchpad. It's really well done, and the implementation of the faders are truly something, something I wanted for some time. I'm already peeking in the code, how can I implement my own re extensions. The code is not for the faint of heart lol.

So much to explore! I hope everybody interested, including my self, can contribute with some mappings. So much great RE's to add now!
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

Ejectzero

16 Jul 2018

Awesome! Will check out!

Catblack

17 Jul 2018

Since I've got my 2nd LP Pro using the midi jacks, I had a bit of trouble with your codec using channel 1. But I've got it sorted out now. I think I'm going to remap my transport controls on my codec to match yours.

Have you mapped undo and redo? Oh, I see that now... interesting. An options page in there? So much here to explore.

You aren't using the built in fader modes, are you? That's all custom through the codec? I almost wish I could use aftertouch or velocity to nudge up the values. But that just a minor quibble, really.

I can't stress enough that this is an amazing codec. You've got all these amp envs and filter envs and everything put in there... I am still learning what you've done.

This is a work of brilliant genius though!
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

nico

17 Jul 2018

I'm not using the built in fader mode because I couldn't figure out howto combine having a fader and other items on the same page, if anyone have got that to work please let me know.

I have tried out the native fader mode and I'm definitely going to try to implement features similar when you can use velocity and aftertouch to get more sensitivity into the fader handling. I can probably use something similar on the up/down button items to provide more flexibility in the handling.

Vivz

29 Nov 2020

To nico (super-creator of this amazing remote :-))

I love this remotemap and it answers so many of my questions. I've tweaked the file to my needs though I still do not understand 100% of what's happening in there. But my small tweaks do work for me.

However, there's a major change I have not been able to do:
How can we have the "keyboard" page default as being the 1st page? (For ex: when adding a new instrument.)

The reason I would like this is because often very I explore & browse instrument's patches... So, the 1st thing I want to do is play some notes. At the moment, with the Launchpad, we need to click on button '6' before we can play some notes. I am in this situation often enough to prefer having the Launchpad default to the 'Keyboard' page. (I wonder if this needs to be edited in the LUA files? in which I am totally lost :-( )

Anyways, again, amazing job with this remotemap. It fills such a huge gap from the hardware (in my case: Arturia MiniLab).

Long Live You Free Creators!
Thanks,
- V

nico

14 Dec 2020

Hi,

Sorry about the late reply, been busy with life lately :-)

The default page is controlled which page is first listed in the "Define Group" statement of each device.

For simple devices with just default pages, that is defined here:
https://github.com/ocin/remanola/blob/m ... ment.j2#L7

Code: Select all

Define Group	Page	Main	Index	Keyboard	Internal
But for devices with more complex page structures that order is hardcoded on each device. For example for Thor it is here:
https://github.com/ocin/remanola/blob/m ... hor.j2#L14

So, if you want to change the default page to Keyboard you need to change it in a lot of places...

It's totally possible to do a rewrite to have a single config option to control which page is the default one, but it will require some additional development.

F9Mute

16 Dec 2020

Hi! Nice codex, been reading thru it trying to learn some things, but most is way beyond my knowledge level.
If I may borrow the thread for a somewhat relevant topic. I'm learning to write remote Codecs (I've done a few simple before, for touchosc and mpc1000), also have the Remote SD. Now I'm working on a codec for APC40 MkII, and have basic functions working.
Right now I'm working on a shift/transpose button, so keyboard notes play one octave if a button is pressed and another if it is released. (Actually the main goal here is for me to learn how to change and read a global variable)
I have a made a g_note that all buttons (used as keyboard) relate to, eg the first button has note=g_note, the second note=g_note+1, and so on.
So far so good, if i set g_note = 36, it starts at C1.
To add the transpose button I tried something like this (don't have access to the computer right now)
Function remote_process_midi(event)
local bank_lock = remote.match_midi("90 67 ??", event)
if (bank_lock ~= nil) then
g_note = 36
else
g_note = 48
return true
end

This sets g_note to 48, but doesn't react to the button. Any idea what I could be doing wrong/missing?

BTW nico, saw your name in the codec, also Swedish? :puf_smile:

demt

16 Dec 2020

Dam I've only got launchpad mk2!
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Stamatz

20 Dec 2021

Recently purchased a Launchpad Pro MK3 and trying to setup using the Remanola codec but having issues.

I was able to setup in the pref-control surface menu and Reason found the Remanola Launchpad Pro and setup properly but for some reason its not doing the things it should be doing? Does anyone know if this codec is compatable with the MK3 or is this just for the MK2?

Anyone know where to get a customized codec for the Launchpad Pro Mk3? Your support is always appreciated, thanks!
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

nico

07 May 2022

Hi,

It’s been almost two years now since I last did some serious work on Remanola, but over the last month I have returned to the project, and I made some big improvements, so it is now time to release version 1.0 of Remanola. There are lots of changes, both how the launchpad mappings look and how to interact with them. I also did a lot of improvements under the hood making it easier to add new Reason devices and updating the mappings for the current ones.

Since I have started using aftertouch and velocity a lot more, I unfortunately had to drop support for the launchpad mini. It was just too much work to keep supporting both devices. If you want to use the Launchpad Mini you have to use version 0.11.1 of Remanola.

Change of mappings:
* All devices from Reason 11 have been added.
* A number of new Rack Extensions have been added as well.
* Lots of pages on lots of devices have been remapped
** Better match to the Reason UI
** Improved templating for devices with more than one of a specific component, for example multiple oscillators, filters, lfos or filters.
** Changed menu colouring to make it more clearer
** The confmap system has been completely rewritten so that colour, defaultvalue and map information is written as comments in the remotemap files instead of in separate files. This makes defining and changing attributes of an item a lot clearer and simpler.

I have also reworked a number of the items used to build up the Remanola interface:

Faders:
* Velocity/Aftertouch sensitivity
** Press and hold a button to slowly go to that value on the fader, the harder you press the faster it goes!
** Max or near max velocity goes directly to the pressed value.
* Sliding, you can slide your finger up and down the fader to set the value
* Push top and bottom button at the same time to reset to default value, The default value is the same as the default defined in Reason, does the same thing as doing cmd-click on a control in the reason interface

Mini faders:
* Used for controlling the same type of controls as faders but when there is limited space on a Remanola page.
* Velocity/Aftertouch sensitivity
** Works the same way as with faders but since there are only two buttons the target value is either max for the top button and min for the bottom button.
* Reset to default
** Works the same way as faders
* Push top an bottom button at the same time to reset to default value

Up/Down buttons:
* Repeat
** Pressing and holding an up/down button will cause it to do key repeats on the control.
** After holding the button for ~0.5s it will start repeating.
** After ~2.5s the repeat rate will increase.

Download links to the new version if here -> https://github.com/ocin/remanola

Stamatz

08 May 2022

Thank you for your ongoing suppport of this project.

I haev a LPPmk3, will this new codec and map work for that device?
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

nico

08 May 2022

Stamatz wrote:
08 May 2022
Thank you for your ongoing suppport of this project.

I haev a LPPmk3, will this new codec and map work for that device?
I only have a Pro mk2, so it has not been tested with at mk3.

nico

08 May 2022

I did some more investigation and the mk3 uses different sysex messages for a lot of things, for example device inquiry, set programmer mode and the messages to light buttons are different.

So, it would requires a major rewrite to make Remanola work with the mk3

https://fael-downloads-prod.focusrite.c ... 200415.pdf
https://d2xhy469pqj8rc.cloudfront.net/s ... uide_0.pdf

• Information