Reason 11 Features poll

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Reason 11 Features poll

Hi-resolution graphics update
16%
GUI window options (freely able to stack, detach, resize, glue etc all windows)
5%
Freeze tracks
14%
Sequencer folders/groups
10%
Video Support
3%
Automation Curves
6%
Combinator update (more buttons, knobs, faders, more matrix slots)
13%
Linked track clips (edit one and the copies all change too)
4%
Transparent/"ghost" track clips (see data underneath while editing a different track)
4%
Transport update (return to play origin, punch-in/out, track markers)
2%
Updated Mclass (more EQ bands, parallel comp, more models, LUFS monitoring)
2%
Alternative channel strips for main mixer
2%
Move multiple mixer faders
3%
Improved audio editing
12%
More export options (eg: mp3)
2%
Dedicated rainstick rompler featuring 3 different rainsticks (rice, beans & plastic beads)
1%

Total votes: 410
chaosroyale

12 Jul 2018

No update will ever include everything you want, so choose your top TWO priorities only. Choices are based on the most popular suggestions from all previous threads.

The goal is not to list all the possible updates you would like, but to find out what the 2 or 3 absolute top "must have" updates are for most users.
Last edited by chaosroyale on 19 Jul 2018, edited 3 times in total.

groggy1

12 Jul 2018

For the Rainstick Romper, what kind of CVs are we going to get on the back of the device? Rice size? Rice gravity coefficient? Friction coefficient?

jlgrimes

12 Jul 2018

chaosroyale wrote:
12 Jul 2018
No update will ever include everything you want, so choose your top TWO priorities only. Choices are based on the most popular suggestions from all previous threads.
You didn't have anything for changing grid resolution via keyboard shortcut.

antic604

13 Jul 2018

Couldn't decide. 2 is far to few for me. Increase that to 4-5 :)

EDIT: Ok, in the end I went with high-res and track freeze, as those two bother me the most - on Surface Pro 4 the GUI it's either too big or blurry and in my current project I've run out of DSP and don't know what to do because bouncing stuff with complex routing & automation is pretty cumbersome...
Last edited by antic604 on 13 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

13 Jul 2018

jlgrimes wrote:
12 Jul 2018
chaosroyale wrote:
12 Jul 2018
Oh yeah, that would be an excellent feature. I've considered it before, and given the way the shortcut keys are laid out, it would make sense to have the "lower grid res" key be an "A" and "increase grid res" key be either a "Z" or a "D" to keep your hand within range of the QWERTY edit functions. Also having this feature automatically adjust itself the more you zoom in would be huge as well. Maybe combine the two ideas and have a single button dedicated for toggling the triplet mode of the multiple resolution types while resolution is determined by zoom level.

EdGrip

13 Jul 2018

Freeze tracks, and Link track clips for me.
I'm a bit surprised to see so little love for linked track clips, and so much desire for improved audio editing.
You can always pop over to a (free) DAW like S1 Prime for a bit of audio editing, but you can't make another DAW be Reason. If you get me.

antic604

13 Jul 2018

jlgrimes wrote:
12 Jul 2018
Instead, I'd prefer to get fully user-definable shortcuts, because there's many more missing than just this.

antic604

13 Jul 2018

EdGrip wrote:
13 Jul 2018
I'm a bit surprised to see so little love for linked track clips, and so much desire for improved audio editing.
Yes, this is definitely in top 5 for me!

Luckily, Blocks do a half-decent job as a limited substitute:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2018

What is the point of this poll ? What are you going to do with the data collected?

EdGrip

13 Jul 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
13 Jul 2018
What is the point of this poll ? What are you going to do with the data collected?
Encrypt it, print it out, pulp the print-outs, put the pulp in a safe deposit box.

antic604

13 Jul 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
13 Jul 2018
Sell it to the highest bidder, I guess?

Catblack

13 Jul 2018

EdGrip wrote:
13 Jul 2018
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
13 Jul 2018
Encrypt it, print it out, pulp the print-outs, put the pulp in a safe deposit box.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2018

EdGrip wrote:
13 Jul 2018
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
13 Jul 2018
Oh, no burning... bummer....
antic604 wrote:
13 Jul 2018
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
13 Jul 2018
Sell it to the highest bidder, I guess?
So should there be a poll with what to do with the money... (something like Nektar mapping funds)

sublunar

13 Jul 2018

There's no "Improved MIDI editing tools/workflow" choice?

?!

Improved MIDI editing, along with improved audio editing are two of the biggest workflow issues plaguing this wonderful DAW since time immemorial. IMO.

None of the other stuff on this list even rates in my top wants.

Video integration would be cool for those who use it and it seems simple enough.

Adding a little, simple, text editor for notes/lyrics would be awesome.

moneykube

13 Jul 2018

a button... that>>>>>>>>> :lightbulb:
makes all sound great
"

groggy1

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:02 am
For the Rainstick Romper, what kind of CVs are we going to get on the back of the device? Rice size? Rice gravity coefficient? Friction coefficient?" rainstick romper/... got a rainstick... why a device
???????????
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

aeox
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2018

Freeze tracks

Sequencer folders/groups

two shoes

14 Jul 2018

What I want more than anything else is vst midi out - composition aid plugins like MixedInKey's Captain series and W.A. Production's Instachord and Instascale are the best thing to come along in music software in years (for me) and not being able to use them in Reason due to the lack of vst midi out is the sole reason I haven't completely switched over to Reason at this point.

Of the choices in the poll I voted for the hi-res graphics update and gui window options, but what I really want graphics wise is actual fullscreen and a continuously scalable interface like ableton. When I realized I had to keep the menu bar and couldn't actually make Reason fullscreen I was utterly dumbfounded and it still frustrates me every time I open the program months later. No fullscreen in 2018? Really?? At the very least we should have the ability to make make one rack column fullscreen width. It would be cool to be able to detach, float, and resize individual rack devices, but I'd settle for just being able to make each rack column the width of the screen. On a 4k display some devices have buttons and controls so small they are unusable. And what's with the microscopic magnifying glass zoom controls in the sequencer? How do you miss the irony of that - are they trolling us?

Another thing that isn't listed here, but I think is a really embarassing omission at this point is working support for Mackie Universal Control protocol. I'd really like to be able to use my Behringer x-touch midi controller with Reason but the Mackie UCP implementation is completely broken (some controls assigned to the wrong functions, others missing entirely). It's like they started the implementation then quit half way through and just left it that way. I get that remote is a thing (I bought a Nektar Panorama controller for it's remote integration), but what's the excuse for adding broken support for the Mackie protocol and leaving it that way for years? This guy is even trying to make a work around, but according to him some things can only be fixed by propellerhead. http://www.jaexx.com/blog/reason-custom ... ap-layout/ From what I understand this is something a single developer should be able to fix in a day or two.
Last edited by two shoes on 09 Sep 2018, edited 1 time in total.

ltbrunt00

14 Jul 2018

Video support is a plus
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

wireless

14 Jul 2018

sublunar wrote:
13 Jul 2018
There's no "Improved MIDI editing tools/workflow" choice?
Same for me. This option plus the Combinator upgrade. Sadly, the poll choices offered reflects loads of stuff I don't need...

Emian

14 Jul 2018

combinator update & alternative main mixer channel strips.... but above all, my MAIN hope is improved performance... i know they promissed improved VST performance, but frankly i believe even RE's should be more efficient...

it's been prove nthat vst counterparts of for example FET-comp are way more CPU-friendy then the RE counterpart....

just my humble 2 cents ;)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

chaosroyale

15 Jul 2018

To clear up a couple of questions: the "point" of this poll was purely out of interest during a tea break. There have been lots of long complicated threads about features people want, but no way to easily see what the most popular choices were.

Your personal most desired feature might not be listed. I limited it to features that had already received lots of requests in earlier threads. On reflection VST MIDI out, and Direct text input , were 2 that maybe should have been included, but things like keyboard shortcuts didn't seem to have quite enough support in other threads. Another example; one of my personal requests is that they fix the phase issues with the goddamn Scream4, but I seem to be the only person who cares about that so I didn't include it.

"Performance improvements" are already assumed to be underway, literally everyone wants that.

Anyway, it seems like the most requested "essential" upgrades are: improved combinator and hi-resolution graphics. (To the surprise of nobody, I guess).
Last edited by chaosroyale on 16 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.

16161d

15 Jul 2018

Missing MPE support for the few of us with MPE enabled controllers. It would be a game changer with how controllable reason devices are to have those 5 dimensions of control at your fingertips and easily assignable.

Schaltwert

16 Jul 2018

Missing....

* Select MIDI channel on sequence track (for e.g. Kontakt, Stylus RMX etc.)
* Increase output channels of VST devices to 32 (for e.g. SuperiorDrummer 3 etc.)

jlgrimes

16 Jul 2018

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
13 Jul 2018
jlgrimes wrote:
12 Jul 2018

Oh yeah, that would be an excellent feature. I've considered it before, and given the way the shortcut keys are laid out, it would make sense to have the "lower grid res" key be an "A" and "increase grid res" key be either a "Z" or a "D" to keep your hand within range of the QWERTY edit functions. Also having this feature automatically adjust itself the more you zoom in would be huge as well. Maybe combine the two ideas and have a single button dedicated for toggling the triplet mode of the multiple resolution types while resolution is determined by zoom level.

That feature and general performance improvements with Track Freeze would be my biggest requests for Reason. Those would greatly help my work flow.

Also being able to mute notes in the piano roll.

But yeah I'm all for the other improvements too, but IMO if they decide to improve the GUI, they should focus on ALL instruments and give them meaningful updates (especially the samplers, Mclass Effects). Many of Reason's devices are starting to appear very outdated compared to other programs. The massive GUI rewrite would seem wrong if the Props didn't give meaningful updates to their devices, even if they just make them look prettier, make them more functional:

Examples

4. NN19 (Waveform view right in the sampler where you can graphically zoom and adjust start end times)
5. Redrum (Take what you learned from Drum Sequencer and put into Redrum. Redrum could also use Waveform View).

jlgrimes

16 Jul 2018

Schaltwert wrote:
16 Jul 2018
Missing....

* Select MIDI channel on sequence track (for e.g. Kontakt, Stylus RMX etc.)

They did say they are working on that one.

They also mentioned the lack of using VST midi effects.

• Information