Reason 11 Features poll

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Reason 11 Features poll

Hi-resolution graphics update
16%
GUI window options (freely able to stack, detach, resize, glue etc all windows)
5%
Freeze tracks
14%
Sequencer folders/groups
10%
Video Support
3%
Automation Curves
6%
Combinator update (more buttons, knobs, faders, more matrix slots)
13%
Linked track clips (edit one and the copies all change too)
4%
Transparent/"ghost" track clips (see data underneath while editing a different track)
4%
Transport update (return to play origin, punch-in/out, track markers)
2%
Updated Mclass (more EQ bands, parallel comp, more models, LUFS monitoring)
2%
Alternative channel strips for main mixer
2%
Move multiple mixer faders
3%
Improved audio editing
12%
More export options (eg: mp3)
2%
Dedicated rainstick rompler featuring 3 different rainsticks (rice, beans & plastic beads)
1%

Total votes: 410
aeox
Competition Winner

16 Jul 2018

chaosroyale wrote:
15 Jul 2018
To clear up a couple of questions: the "point" of this poll was purely out of interest during a tea break. There have been lots of long complicated threads about features people want, but no way to easily see what the most popular choices were.

Your personal most desired feature might not be listed. I limited it to features that had already received lots of requests in earlier threads. On reflection VST MIDI out, and Direct text input , were 2 that maybe should have been included, but things like keyboard shortcuts didn't seem to have quite enough support in other threads. Another example; one of my personal requests is that they fix the phase issues with the goddamn Scream4, but I seem to be the only person who cares about that so I didn't include it.

"Performance improvements" are already assumed to be underway, literally everyone wants that.

Anyway, it seems like the most requested "essential" upgrades are: improved combinator and hi-resolution graphics. (To the surprise of nobody, I guess).
Oh there is.. :D

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1367297130024063/

ljekio

16 Jul 2018

Improved midi editing, midi comp mode record, midi files preview for choosed instrument, etc

DonnieAlan

18 Jul 2018

There are two features I would LOVE to see Reason add. First, implement MIDI routing much like the audio routing with the virtual cables and all. Add MIDI IN/OUT ports to the rack VI's and fx and let users route MIDI however we wish. Add MIDI in/out to the players too so MIDI can be sent whereever. A MIDI version of the Spyder would be great. The second feature is to allow VST hosting while in slave mode. I mainly us Reason in slave mode with Pro Tools. But, the only way I can use the VSTs is with Reason in standalone mode. So, I have to gerryrig using virtual audio cables. If VSTs could be hosted with Reason in slave mode, that would make Reason the most powerful instrument in anyone's arsenal.

Crumbfort

18 Jul 2018

Voted for updated combinator and improved audio (and midi) editing. Proper freeze was a really close third.

EDIT: (this is also assuming that the VST performance coming up improves things GREATLY. Really hope it does.)
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

aeox
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2018

You could make another poll with the top choices and refine the results further! (maybe a stupid idea.. idk)

tai

19 Jul 2018

MPE support, that is what i want to see
Last edited by tai on 19 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.

tai

19 Jul 2018

MPE support, that is what i want to see
:lightbulb: :(

scratchnsnifff

19 Jul 2018

Glad to see the combinator is one of the top selections :) I sooo hope they add more to the good ol handy dandy combinator.

I would love to be able to freely make patches and not have to worry about filling up the 10 matrix slots with a device that has 100 parameters.

Hi res graphics would be nice too ;)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

scratchnsnifff

19 Jul 2018

After thinking about it. I should have picked the Eq/effects option

I still would like to see a drawable waveshaoer native to Reason :)

But the mclass series could really use some mclovin I think it would be cool if the mclaaa Eq had a toggle switch for a displayed spectrum

And a drop down menu for quick filter shapes. For those who don’t know, you can make some pretty cool filter shapes by automating the frequency knobs on the mclass EQ. And cranking the Q on the low cut knob and automating the low cut frequency with the gain all the way down, makes a high pass filter.

But please send a combinator first :D
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Namyo85

19 Jul 2018

How about adding this to the list: Key Commands For Regroove and Transport

As can be seen from the following screenshot there's potential for more shortcut Keys. F9 F10 F11 and F12 are free as are many Ctrl+ combinations. The transport and Regroove mixer could easily have F9 and F10 or the assignments tidied up and the order improved. In fact everything on this menu could be assigned a shortcut key. There's also unnassigned commands in the Options menu that would benefit from some shortcut keys such as Delay Compensation and Show Navigators.
shortcuts.png
shortcuts.png (25.93 KiB) Viewed 2108 times

vv_WhiteShark

19 Jul 2018

Internal MIDI routing anyone? Proper controller support & integration for Maschine / Komplete keyboard too would be top of my list, but sadly not voteable ;) While we're at it why don't they implement the NKS standard and then we'd be SERIOUSLY good to go...save having to wait months for Nektar 'updates' :/

electrofux

19 Jul 2018

Yeah VST Midi. The day they implement it and Overbridge is out i am going to get a Digitakt.
And i think there are alot of Maschine users too that want it.

lfolch

23 Jul 2018

I would like to suggest the ability to put VSTs into Combinator and Rewire them.

JunkMaster

26 Aug 2018

Seems that some of these options are coming sooner than Reason 11, such as Move multiple mixer faders, See data underneath while editing a different track etc.

I think this is good news as some of the other options such as Hi-resolution graphics update could take a lot of work to implement.

I'd like to see Freeze tracks added to Reason at some point in the future.

Faastwalker

01 Sep 2018

I like the way the poll turned out. The most popular requests are exactly what I'd love the see. Freeze tracks would be great - I could get away with using VK-2 on my machine with freeze tracks. Would love to see a Combinator 2 with more controls & features. Better audio editing would be very welcome. Especially with the amount of devices that you can now load audio into. Be good to be have more audio editing features. And I'd love to see hi-res graphics in Reason. I'm okay with things as they are on a 2k monitor. But would be cool if you could 'zoom to device' for better detail & control. Especially for synth programming. Hope Propellerhead are watching ;)

michal22

01 Sep 2018

I am surprised that no one is bothered by the fact that when setting the programmer in the combinator, you do not hear the difference in sound immediately. You must move the combinator knob to hear the changes made. In Ableton it looks different. By setting the parameters for the macro knob you can hear the sound changes without moving the knob on macro group. It is very frustrating for me to hear changes through moving the combinator knob. Does not it bother anyone? I see only more knobs on the list. For me, the whole combinator is outdated and unusable today. The programming process takes too long and is annoying compared to ableton, eg. Inserting parameters into the programmer should also be on the principle: drag and drop, not as it is now.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

Ahornberg

01 Sep 2018

michal22 wrote:
01 Sep 2018
I am surprised that no one is bothered by the fact that when setting the programmer in the combinator, you do not hear the difference in sound immediately. You must move the combinator knob to hear the changes made. In Ableton it looks different. By setting the parameters for the macro knob you can hear the sound changes without moving the knob on macro group. It is very frustrating for me to hear changes through moving the combinator knob. Does not it bother anyone? I see only more knobs on the list. For me, the whole combinator is outdated and unusable today. The programming process takes too long and is annoying compared to ableton, eg. Inserting parameters into the programmer should also be on the principle: drag and drop, not as it is now.
That's really a strange behaviour ... but I wasn't aware of that.

Kilsane

01 Sep 2018

Hi

sorry if my question seems silly, but what is the freeze track and what does it bring more compared to the bounce?

chaosroyale

01 Sep 2018

"Freeze" creates an audio render of the selected track(s) and then automatically bypasses/deletes the devices on those tracks to save DSP/CPU. However, you can un-freeze at anytime, all the devices and settings will return, and you can continue editing. It is a much faster and more elegant method than bouncing and bypassing/deleting devices, and oftentimes having to undo all this by hand to re-create your settings.

I think it is gradually losing importance as a DSP-saving tool, but many users have pointed out that is is also convenient when collaborating on tracks (your partner can use the frozen tracks simply as audio if they don't have the same devices, and then you can unfreeze and continue working on them).
Kilsane wrote:
01 Sep 2018
Hi

sorry if my question seems silly, but what is the freeze track and what does it bring more compared to the bounce?

Kilsane

01 Sep 2018

thank you, for its clarifications, I understand better the difference with. the bounce

Arrant
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2018

Hi-res is the big one. Other than that I surprised myself and went for video support in front of better audio editing. Lately I’ve been working on some youtube-videos, and doing it outside of Reason is a pain.

Jagwah

02 Sep 2018

Arrant wrote:
01 Sep 2018
Hi-res is the big one. Other than that I surprised myself and went for video support in front of better audio editing. Lately I’ve been working on some youtube-videos, and doing it outside of Reason is a pain.
Youtube is possibly the biggest platform in the world for many different types of works. Video support in Reason would be a benefit in many different ways - even better exposure of the product! Did someone mention this to the hyper marketing department? :)

I accept however, that Reason is a DAW, and also with a heavy heart I accept that Props are a 'small' company (still) and that can only mean that core features will continue to trickle down in a slow fashion that I am reminded of everytime I think of how long we've just wanted a Combinator upgrade (the whole time I've been here) with no success. We also have to fight with resources being focused on more new devices which appears to be the trend lately. Video editing support seems but a distant memory that maybe never had a chance, but I won't hold it against Props, much better to suck it up, solve the problem on my end and get back to business.

candybag

02 Sep 2018

I chose the improved combinator and freeze tracks.

Ironically, the combinator is probably the reason why i have DSP issues in the first place; i'm addicted to layering.
Yamaha HS7 - HD600 - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - Akai MPK261 - AT2050 - Auralex Project 2™ Roominator Kit
9900K - 16 GB - 3xXB270HU - GTX 1080 ti

Marc64

03 Sep 2018

Linux version.
Have anyone tryed Wine to run reason on linux?
https://www.winehq.org/

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

• Information