Selecting multiple faders and turning them up/down at the same time?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
lamoni

11 Jul 2018

Hello all,

Are there plans (yet) for this feature (or hopefully it's been added and I've just missed it)? It's a pretty simple feature that Reason lacks that every other DAW has. Last time I asked (couple years ago), I was told to just run things through a Bus and turn it down there, but that's a terrible solution to what should be a simple feature addition. I want to gain stage effectively and with speed, and it's one of the only tedious parts in Reason that I deal with still.

antic604

11 Jul 2018

Still not there :(

jlgrimes

11 Jul 2018

lamoni wrote:
11 Jul 2018
Hello all,

Are there plans (yet) for this feature (or hopefully it's been added and I've just missed it)? It's a pretty simple feature that Reason lacks that every other DAW has. Last time I asked (couple years ago), I was told to just run things through a Bus and turn it down there, but that's a terrible solution to what should be a simple feature addition. I want to gain stage effectively and with speed, and it's one of the only tedious parts in Reason that I deal with still.

Nope still not there. Only other suggestion would to be to map these faders to a controller but I agree quick grouping of faders (as well as typing in db and panning values) would help the workflow of the mixer a lot.

EdGrip

11 Jul 2018

Tis but a dream.

zabukowski

11 Jul 2018

I am sure this will be one of the new features in the next Reason version. Considering version 10 was all about content/sounds/instruments, version 11 will be all about functionality (mixer, sequencer). It is logical and natural :)

ejanuska

11 Jul 2018

zabukowski wrote:
11 Jul 2018
I am sure this will be one of the new features in the next Reason version. Considering version 10 was all about content/sounds/instruments, version 11 will be all about functionality (mixer, sequencer). It is logical and natural :)
Source?

selig
RE Developer

11 Jul 2018

lamoni wrote:Hello all,

Can’t imagine why this is not yet possible in Reason, it’s such a common request (though in my years of working with Reason I’ve not missed it, even after working on SSL consoles and Pro Tools for decades). Still, I DO know it’s a useful feature and hope it’s added sooner rather than later.

Side note:
Don’t think ganging faders has anything to do with gain staging though, unless you ARE using a bus (in which case you can as easily use the input gain on that bus).

Gain staging has to do with adjusting the gain at each stage to maximize signal to noise, typically on analog systems what have different amounts of headroom at each gain stage. Seeing as how Reason has 1500 dB dynamic range internally, you’re not ever likely to run into noise problems, nor clip the signal path (though you CAN clip the final output, which is easy to fix with a master fader, master compressors makeup gain, or brick wall limiter adjustment).

What I prefer to do since I’m no longer working on large format analog consoles and needing to gain stage, is to use a consistent peak reference level for all tracks.
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

zabukowski

12 Jul 2018

ejanuska wrote:
11 Jul 2018
zabukowski wrote:
11 Jul 2018
Source?
Unfortunately just my prediction :)

antic604

12 Jul 2018

selig wrote:
11 Jul 2018
What I prefer to do since I’m no longer working on large format analog consoles and needing to gain stage, is to use a consistent peak reference level for all tracks.
Is there any tool in particular you'd recommend for that task? ;) :D

mreese80

12 Jul 2018

lamoni wrote:
11 Jul 2018
Hello all,

I've been asking for this feature for years. As advanced as this daw is it's still lacking basic features. Props is still behind on shit even they start making advancements. It's a damn shame. I just route everthing to one bus and bring up the volume.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

ejanuska

12 Jul 2018

mreese80 wrote:
12 Jul 2018
I've been asking for this feature for years. As advanced as this daw is it's still lacking basic features. Props is still behind on shit even they start making advancements. It's a damn shame. I just route everthing to one bus and bring up the volume.
There seems to be a lot of improvements and features that people having been requesting for years. Honestly I would have chose fixing the sequencer over VST implementation.
The old story about the automaker Volkswagen not putting drink holders in their cars comes to mind. I wonder if PH thinks they know better then the user and we don't need features such as fader linking and such.

O1B

12 Jul 2018

I want to gain stage effectively and with speed

Yo se! If you're trying to actually complete a mix, the fader situation is 'no bueno'
The quantized nature of the faders, gain knobs, and volume knobs need to change.
But, I suspect the architecture makes it prohibitive - reason files would need to be reworked after the change. Can't see why it wouldn't be an easy Priority #1 Fix, if it wasn't.

Same for EQ Gain, Frequency Sweeping, and Q (see MClass EQ)
But, it's time.

External multi-tracking IN (Proper VCA) is my way of avoiding 'candy-cane' gain staging within Reason.
EQing is much easier sweeping vs 'staggering,' as well.
lamoni wrote:
11 Jul 2018
Hello all,

antic604

12 Jul 2018

Funny thing is, this "feature" doesn't really need any changes to the GUI, devices, routing, etc. Just let us CTRL+click several faders and move the others along with the last we touched! It's the same thing with missing keyboard shortcuts for: changing grid snapping levels, muting/soloing tracks, collepsing/uncollapsing tracks, etc.

I mean a half-decent programmer should be able to add those during his lunch break :(

selig
RE Developer

12 Jul 2018

antic604 wrote:Funny thing is, this "feature" doesn't really need any changes to the GUI, devices, routing, etc. Just let us CTRL+click several faders and move the others along with the last we touched! It's the same thing with missing keyboard shortcuts for: changing grid snapping levels, muting/soloing tracks, collepsing/uncollapsing tracks, etc.

I mean a half-decent programmer should be able to add those during his lunch break :(
Totally agree, at the least this should work throughout Reason (shift select, do to all selected).

What I wonder (and sometimes worry) about is whether there is something they’ve done in their “Reason way” that prevents this.

For example, you can’t just connect CVs and “gang/group” faders because they don’t track correctly. Meaning, that if two faders are grouped and moved, they need to maintain their exact offset in decibels for this feature to be of any use.

For example, if you group two faders and there is a 6 dB difference in level between them, then no matter where you move them the difference should remain 6 dB. This does NOT happen when using CV to “group” faders, so I have to wonder if the scale of the faders is not easily converted to a scale that will track correctly. Otherwise, why has this industry standard feature from the 1970s still not included in any Reason mixer?

This may or may not be related to why there are no decibels when you automate faders, only an arbitrary scale of 0-1000.
[emoji20]

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

ejanuska

12 Jul 2018

I know they're watching. Just wish they would comment on these kinds of discussions. Even if its just stroking us off.

mreese80

12 Jul 2018

ejanuska wrote:
12 Jul 2018
mreese80 wrote:
12 Jul 2018
There seems to be a lot of improvements and features that people having been requesting for years. Honestly I would have chose fixing the sequencer over VST implementation.
The old story about the automaker Volkswagen not putting drink holders in their cars comes to mind. I wonder if PH thinks they know better then the user and we don't need features such as fader linking and such.
They don't care about nothing we say. It's only about getting our money and what they want for reason. They need some younger people over there. They are way out of touch.Ernst said years Reason would never get vsts. I knew he would on those words one day. There is no reason why reason shouldnt be the #1 daw. But they chose to be assholes for years. Now they're starting to come around and they're still behind. I'm not asking them to change anything about reason. I'm just asking they update and give us some of the features we have in other daws. I want Reason to add all the basic features first and update other things that need to be updated. Than we can start tackling the big things. I've sent them video footage of features that i have in other daws for years. They reply 2-3 days with the same old thing...we see what you're talking about. Seeing and doing something about it is 2 different things.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

MarkTarlton

12 Jul 2018

yeah...probably my biggest complaint over the years. it's 2018!

mreese80

12 Jul 2018

Fl studio has a lot of great features...features that they've had for years other daws are now adding to theirs. And they really stepped it up with Fl 20... the sound engine finally sounds good.

deepndark

12 Jul 2018

Yeah, well, I think it would make sense to add those approximated 100 features we still miss out. But I won't hold my breath and focus using the latest Reason to the fullest.

BRIGGS

12 Jul 2018

I fail to see how bussing the faders is a "terrible solution".

Does it work?
r11s

kuhliloach

12 Jul 2018

Reason has never been about working the way customers want. The Propellerhead development philosophy seems to be about creating powerful tools and then forcing customers to learn how to use them whether they like the workflow or not. Hopefully one day they will learn that a weak UI with powerful features is vastly inferior to an amazing UI with ok features.

In my opinion there is nothing more important in software development than User Interface. It is the bridge between humans and the power of the software. Neglecting that bridge means holes and cracks along the bridge, and that just scares people away.

aeox
Competition Winner

12 Jul 2018

mreese80 wrote:
12 Jul 2018
And they really stepped it up with Fl 20... the sound engine finally sounds good.
:?: :?: :?:

Dante

12 Jul 2018

Actually I quite like the (red) Group Faders - they are easy to setup and still let individual adjustments. Ganging faders would be good too - but I find no issue with Group Faders.

antic604

13 Jul 2018

aeox wrote:
12 Jul 2018
mreese80 wrote:
12 Jul 2018
And they really stepped it up with Fl 20... the sound engine finally sounds good.
:?: :?: :?:
Apparently before it would give 5 as a result of 2+2 ;) :D

Rason

19 Jul 2019

Hello, I recently upgraded to the latest patch mainly bcs of this function and it is totally useless, since the resolution varies up and down the fader. Just as Selig described above. So I am wondering what is the actual purpose of this new function? The only situation when it would become handy would be silent or too loud mix which I need to easily boost or reduce. Sometimes I end up with a mix which is too silent to be fixed by master fader and I dont want to necessarily apply a maximizer or re-mix. So I kind of regret getting this patch and the "add device" button is laughing at me all the time. Is there a way to go back to 10.1? The improved performance is not a game chager for me since I dont use VSTs.

• Information