Reason 8 user about to upgrade

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
joeyfivecents

11 Jul 2018

Reason 10 is looking pretty good. I upgraded from 7 to 8 but just couldn't bring myself to make the jump to 9. So I revisited Ableton Live, FL Studio, and Logic for a while. Then I started thinking about it: I got way more songs completed when I was using Reason. The only reason I am hesitant is the lack of video tutorials concerning the Players. I have never used these but they look kind of cool. I usually like to watch a few tutorials before I decide to spens money on something. I've bought quite a few RE's over the years so the stuff they added to Reason 10 like the sequenced filter effect and Radical Piano, I already have. Maybe you guys could give me your recommendation. Thanks for listening.

jlgrimes

11 Jul 2018

joeyfivecents wrote:
11 Jul 2018
Reason 10 is looking pretty good. I upgraded from 7 to 8 but just couldn't bring myself to make the jump to 9. So I revisited Ableton Live, FL Studio, and Logic for a while. Then I started thinking about it: I got way more songs completed when I was using Reason. The only reason I am hesitant is the lack of video tutorials concerning the Players. I have never used these but they look kind of cool. I usually like to watch a few tutorials before I decide to spens money on something. I've bought quite a few RE's over the years so the stuff they added to Reason 10 like the sequenced filter effect and Radical Piano, I already have. Maybe you guys could give me your recommendation. Thanks for listening.
There are video tutorials about each Player. Props did some good tutorials on how they work. Other users have some other videos as well.

Going from 8 to 10 should be a pretty nice upgrade.

Players, VST and VSTis, and Europa and Grain is the obvious additions.

Both Europa and Grain are nice synths. With Europa, we finally have a synth that does good Trance leads right out of the box. It combines a workflow similar to Serum, Massive, Expanse, and it is relatively easy to use, has nice presets, and CPU efficient while also having a nice sound.

Grain is very unique and does some cool sample manipulation tricks. It is probably one of my favorite granular synths. For a granular synth, it has a great workflow.

Both have a lot of video tutorials.

The only workflow upgrades are the ones that you got going from 8 to 9 (It might have been some piano roll and zooming improvements (cutting notes, adding notes via double clicking with select tool, Ctrl+D Duplicate, Z key zoom region)). All workflow improvements are welcome additions. 8 might have had some of these can't remember when they added them. We can also have favorites for VSTs as well. That was the only 10 related improvement.

Loque

11 Jul 2018

I might be wrong, but pitch editing came with 9 too, themes and vst too.
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

11 Jul 2018

joeyfivecents wrote:
11 Jul 2018
The only reason I am hesitant is the lack of video tutorials concerning the Players.
Literally everything you need to know about the included Players can be found in their launch videos. Not sure what else there is to tell...

Scales & Chords:

Note Echo:

Dual Arp:

But you also get Melodyne-like pitch editing:

Along with VST and a myriad of other stuff. Jumping from 8 to 10.1 is a no brainer, IMHO.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jlgrimes

11 Jul 2018

Loque wrote:
11 Jul 2018
I might be wrong, but pitch editing came with 9 too, themes and vst too.
Forgot about those.

• Information