Well it happened again... 10.1.2 left me dead in the water!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
rgdaniel

09 Jul 2018

Here's the note I just sent to Props support:

Installers for the last two updates to Reason 10 both failed, and left me dead in the water with no program. I chose "install and restart" in the first case (10.1.1), a few weeks back, and chose "install on quit" in the second case (10.1.2). In both cases, the same thing happened. The installer was unable to rename Reason.exe, and could not proceed. Retry didn't work, Ignore seemed like a bad idea ("not recommended") so I chose "Abort". But the rollback left me with NO Reason.exe. Gone. Vanished. Cannot start the program (obviously). I was left with no choice but to download the full installer and re-install from scratch, and it looks like I will have to do that again. I never used to hesitate to install Reason updates, but now, I'm gonna hesitate, for sure. ..What can we do so this stops happening?

We'll see what happens. Downloading 10.1.2 now. I'm guessing it's some weird Windows 7 permissions problem I never used to have... I tried to rename Reason.exe myself or drag it out of there to the desktop, so the installer could proceed, but Windows wouldn't let me. I run Windows 7 as a single user with full admin authority, so not sure how I could do this any different.

Update: Successfully downloaded and installed 10.1.2, so that's good.

normen

09 Jul 2018

Did you check for hardware failure? Maybe your disk is EOLing..?

rgdaniel

09 Jul 2018

normen wrote:
09 Jul 2018
Not sure there's anything to suggest that. No other issues, and wellness checks always run clean. And the EXACT same problem with this particular installer across two updates, weeks apart, seems to argue against hardware problems. It's gotta be permissions related, but don't know how to prevent or even predict a re-occurence. Properties of Reason.exe seem normal at the moment, but showed "you do not have authorization" property DURING the failed update, when I was trying to rename it myself, suggesting the installer itself changed the properties, then couldn't rename it. But this is all conjecture, so who knows.

normen

09 Jul 2018

rgdaniel wrote:
09 Jul 2018
normen wrote:
09 Jul 2018
Not sure there's anything to suggest that. No other issues, and wellness checks always run clean. And the EXACT same problem with this particular installer across two updates, weeks apart, seems to argue against hardware problems. It's gotta be permissions related, but don't know how to prevent or even predict a re-occurence. Properties of Reason.exe seem normal at the moment, but showed "you do not have authorization" property DURING the failed update, when I was trying to rename it myself, suggesting the installer itself changed the properties, then couldn't rename it. But this is all conjecture, so who knows.
Well Reason has very large files to handle so disk issues are visible sooner. Anyway, just a stab in the dark really.

rgdaniel

09 Jul 2018

normen wrote:
09 Jul 2018
Anyway, just a stab in the dark really.
Appreciate it!

Loque

09 Jul 2018

What AV are you using? Experienced similar problems (not Reason) years back.
Reason12, Win10

WillyOD

09 Jul 2018

I know it's too late already, but when the next patch (10.1.3 or something) comes out, try starting your Reason as an Administrator before you trigger the download and patching.

I mean I haven't had the need to use the Administrator mode on my machine to install updates, but it's the only guess I have concerning this problem.
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

rgdaniel

09 Jul 2018

Loque wrote:
09 Jul 2018
What AV are you using? Experienced similar problems (not Reason) years back.
Using Avast Free alongside Malware Bytes Pro... yes AV is a frequent culprit for some folks... haven't had issues myself in years, but easy enough to turn them off during next update install... good tip, thanks...

rgdaniel

09 Jul 2018

WillyOD wrote:
09 Jul 2018
... try starting your Reason as an Administrator before you trigger the download and patching.
I'm not sure how to do that exactly... My User Account is set to "Administrator" type, so aren't I basically running everything "as an Administrator"? This seems like it's very near the solution. Solution-adjacent. Something to do with permissions and administrator and so on. I'm a bit soft on the details, Windows-wise, but occasionally I have to work some voodoo to get a file deleted.

UPDATE: I remembered (/googled) how to do that, running Reason as administrator now. Thanks for the tip!

Popey
Competition Winner

10 Jul 2018

Rg daniel it Sounds like the problem i am having with the latest update. I might try tonight with my av and malware bytes turned off and see if this makes any difference for me.

chimp_spanner

10 Jul 2018

Used to get problems like this with Avast all the damn time. Took that shit off real quick. Glad you’re up and running anyway!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

10 Jul 2018

When you quit Reason you should check (task manager/details) that it really has closed.

What makes me laugh with the Reason updates is, best practices was always to reboot and then install, but they offer an update in the application, so I would recommend, checking in task manager that Reason is not running or do old school best practice of rebooting first.
Last edited by Carly(Poohbear) on 10 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.

rgdaniel

10 Jul 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
10 Jul 2018
When you quit Reason you should check (task manager/details) that it really has closed.

What makes me laugh with the Reason updates is, best practices was always to reboot and then install, bu they offer an update in the application, so I would recommend, checking in task manager that Reason is not running and then do old school best practice of rebooting first.
Thanks. I did in fact reboot the whole PC before proceeding to update, just, as you say, as a best practice. I will watch out in Task Manager to see if it's fully quit next time, but the installer goes ahead on its own schedule without such checking, and the problem occurs almost immediately that the installer begins, so I'm not sure there'd be time to do anything about it. It's why I chose "install after quitting" this time, with this very idea in mind, to make sure it had really quit. But it didn't play out that way, sadly... Next time I may just skip right to downloading the full installer! ;)

rgdaniel

10 Jul 2018

Popey wrote:
10 Jul 2018
Rg daniel it Sounds like the problem i am having with the latest update. I might try tonight with my av and malware bytes turned off and see if this makes any difference for me.
Good luck!

rgdaniel

10 Jul 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
10 Jul 2018
Glad you’re up and running anyway!
Thanks!

Popey
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2018

Just wanted to say my update worked with av off and malwarebytes uninstalled. Thank you everyone for the advice.

rgdaniel

11 Jul 2018

I just heard back from Props support, and they too suggested temporarily turning off antivirus programs. They specifically mentioned Malwarebytes, if only as a parenthetical example. I would not want to be without Avast and Malwarebytes on a day-to-day basis, but it's easy enough to pause them for the update.
Popey wrote:
11 Jul 2018
Just wanted to say my update worked with av off and malwarebytes uninstalled. Thank you everyone for the advice.
That's encouraging. Good to hear!

• Information