Reason Midile format

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
reason.fan

09 Jul 2018

Hye

I need to export some Reason 10 songs to my Roland FA 06.
but it seems their formats are not the same: when i import midifle songs from Reason in the Fa, all data are on the same track 1.
is there a way to change the midifle format which out form Reason ?
Any free converter ?
Thanks by advance

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

09 Jul 2018

MIDI files exported by Reason will have the following properties:
• The MIDI file will be of Type 1, with one MIDI track for each track in the Reason sequencer. The tracks will have the same names as in the Reason sequencer.
• Since the Reason sequencer doesn’t use MIDI channels as such, all tracks will be set to MIDI channel 1.
• The sequencer Tempo, and any Tempo Automation and/or Time Signature Automation, is included in the MIDI file.

Fotu

09 Jul 2018

I have a similar use case in which I export specific tracks from a Reason song to an external player (lights and fx in my case). As Carly notes it is not a clean and direct process since:
- All are assigned to Channel 1 (even if coming from an EMI track with an assigned channel!)
- Every track produces a MIDI channel (even audio, etc.), with no way to suppress an unneeded track in the export.
Likewise I was looking for some very simple method of fixing the channels, etc. outside of Reason.

So my work flow on a Windows PC has become:
1. Create needed MIDI tracks within the Reason song.
2. Save the song.
3. Delete every track except those you want to export to MIDI
4. Export the MIDI file
5. Exit Reason but do NOT save (since you've nuked a bunch of tracks)
6. Launch the free and simple sequencer AnvilStudio http://anvilstudio.com/
7. Open the exported MIDI file from step 4 with AnvilStudio, and change the channel numbers to whatever is needed by your target devices, and Save the song (MIDI file).

(You can also do step 3 deleting unneeded tracks in AnvilStudio, but I've found it faster to do that in Reason as described above.)

AnvilStudio does leave a few fingerprints of app-specific SysEx in the saved song, but it's pretty small and so far I've seen no issues with other devices responding to it.

jam-s

09 Jul 2018

Midi (file) handling has been in a pretty sad state in Reason for quite some time now. Let's hope it gets its needed overhaul soon.

• Information