Reason sounds great!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Muzicpro

06 Jul 2018

I just upgraded from Reason 4 (which I barely used) to Reason 10 and have become somewhat infatuated with it. I’m going to town learning everything I can via macprovideo, groove3, YouTube, etc and have written quite a few new songs just using Reason. I think the software itself sounds really great. I’m not sure if it’s just psychological but the summing/mixer in Reason gets a great sound. I use Logic for my client based work in my commercial studio but I’m finding Reason to be a fun (great sounding) addition to my creative flow.
Last edited by Muzicpro on 07 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
LA based producer/Mixer
4 Room studio with tuned (by Bob Hodas) Control Room
Logic X, DP9, PT11, Reason 10, Apogee, NEVE, API
http://dbwproductions.com
http://facebook.com/dbwproductions

EnochLight

06 Jul 2018

Muzicpro wrote:
06 Jul 2018
I just upgraded from Reason 4 (which I barely used) to Reason 10 and have become somewhat infatuated with it. I’m going to town learning everything I can via macprovideo, groove, YouTube, etc and have written quite a few new songs just using Reason. I think the software itself sounds really great. I’m not sure if it’s just psychological but the summing/mixer in Reason gets a great sound. I use Logic for my client based work in my commercial studio but I’m finding Reason to be a fun (great sounding) addition to my creative flow.
Congratulations - welcome to Reason 10! Man, upgrading from 4 to 10 is like light years ahead. It's changed so much since then!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jimmyklane

07 Jul 2018

Muzicpro wrote:
06 Jul 2018
I just upgraded from Reason 4 (which I barely used) to Reason 10 and have become somewhat infatuated with it. I’m going to town learning everything I can via macprovideo, groove3, YouTube, etc and have written quite a few new songs just using Reason. I think the software itself sounds really great. I’m not sure if it’s just psychological but the summing/mixer in Reason gets a great sound. I use Logic for my client based work in my commercial studio but I’m finding Reason to be a fun (great sounding) addition to my creative flow.
Congrats! You’ve made a huge leap forward in your creative possibilities. It’s very much a writer’s and sound designer’s program and I find it endlessly inspiring for those purposes.

I actually use it for my client work now as well, having dumped both ProTools and Nuendo as my recording and mixing platforms. I now work far more like I used to when tape was where it’s at because Reason can’t really edit audio in a way we’d consider proficient when comparing other daws.

Happy to have you here with us, enjoy Reason and all it has become since version 4!!!
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

tibah

07 Jul 2018

Welcome! Enjoy the trip. :)

07 Jul 2018

Those before and after clips on your website are really cool! :thumbs_up:

normen

08 Jul 2018

Muzicpro wrote:
06 Jul 2018
Hi and welcome!

I also find the music I'm making in Reason so much "cooler" just because pulling wires, twiddling knobs on the rack panels and having actual little "instruments" sitting there gives the whole process so much more depth. It's a bit like eating your self-grown tomatoes. :)

But addition works the same on any computer - or did you ever hear of "warmer results" in different spreadsheets apps? ;) And Reasons SSL mixer has no "signal path emulation" or anything, it's basically just emulating the perfect version of the EQ and dynamics of the SSL desk, without any clipping, distortion, hiss or noise. If you have no EQ or dynamics enabled it's simply sampleFromChannelA + sampleFromChannelB + sampleFromChannelC etc. - like in all other DAWs (except Harrison and maybe other "vintage" oddballs).

I'm also doing my commercial work in Logic with a multi-device UAD Apollo system but I am actually using Reason as the "synth rack" on a separate computer - wired up pretty much like you'd wire up an actual synth rack via audio and MIDI connections. Never had any client have issues with the quality of the sounds I offered when they wanted "a lush pad" or "a punchy bass synth". To me Reason strikes the perfect balance between sound quality and sensible CPU use (Something where the UAD for example is on the ridiculous end.. one DSP for one plugin, WTF - just to emulate Alan Parsons favorite XLR cable or something o_O).

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

08 Jul 2018

normen wrote:
08 Jul 2018

But addition works the same on any computer - or did you ever hear of "warmer results" in different spreadsheets apps? ;)
Yes. My guess is you've never used Google Docs. Makes my blood boil anyway. So, that's pretty warm ;)

normen

08 Jul 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
08 Jul 2018
normen wrote:
08 Jul 2018

But addition works the same on any computer - or did you ever hear of "warmer results" in different spreadsheets apps? ;)
Yes. My guess is you've never used Google Docs. Makes my blood boil anyway. So, that's pretty warm ;)
Exactly what I say about DI boxes: "If it's got a sound it's broken!" ;)

• Information