Hydlides rant about performance

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
FLVZ

04 Jul 2018

EnochLight wrote:
03 Jul 2018

Fun fact: Hydlide doesn't care about the forum at Reasontalk, nor the people/community here. His own words, taken from one of his videos, BTW.
So you take the opportunity to talk about his personal life in a post that is to do with nothing about it? This says more about you than it does about Hydlide...

selig
RE Developer

04 Jul 2018

Flavolous wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
03 Jul 2018

Fun fact: Hydlide doesn't care about the forum at Reasontalk, nor the people/community here. His own words, taken from one of his videos, BTW.
So you take the opportunity to talk about his personal life in a post that is to do with nothing about it? This says more about you than it does about Hydlide...
By that definition, his post has as much to do with this thread as yours.

I assumed the same thing as EnochLight, fwiw, that Hydlide’s wife must be doing better if he’s posting and not mentioning her here. That’s great news, right? I saw nothing negative in observing that - we all mix personal stuff in with the technical here (it’s a part of being human IMO).

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

FLVZ

04 Jul 2018

You're right, my apologies for derailing the thread.

O1B

04 Jul 2018

Dont feel too bad. I addressed the issue. Enochlight responded. I respect his response.
If it happens again, I will say something again.

Hydlide does a great service for Reason, Propellerheads,
AND ReasonTalk - obviously.

for that, he deserves our respect, IMO.

( You do see how Hydlide could upset resident 'experts'... lol)
Flavolous wrote:
04 Jul 2018
You're right, my apologies for derailing the thread.

ravisoni

04 Jul 2018

selig wrote:
04 Jul 2018
we all mix personal stuff in with the technical here (it’s a part of being human IMO).
True, and although subjective, some things are just fine if they are observed internally and not said out loud.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

selig
RE Developer

04 Jul 2018

O1B wrote: Hydlide does a great service for Reason, Propellerheads,
AND ReasonTalk - obviously.

for that, he deserves our respect, IMO.

( You do see how Hydlide could upset resident 'experts'... lol)
Don’t know about that, but he hasn’t upset anyone in this thread that I can see, certainly not any “experts” (which I assume means “non-experts” because of the quotes?).

Not sure how “obviously” he does a “great service” to ReasonTalk, but everyone is free to express their opinions here! AFAICT he happily does his own independent thing and helps tons of folks in the process.

Since this thread is about “Hydlide’s rant about performance”, talking about him, the rant, and the subject of the rant are all “on topic” IMO.

Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

04 Jul 2018

I concur. This thread is about Hydlide's Rant. Not his - oh, never mind.
How's your CAPS LOCK, btw, Selig? Get it fixed?
selig wrote:
04 Jul 2018
Since this thread is about “Hydlide’s rant about performance”, talking about him, the rant, and the subject of the rant are all “on topic” IMO.

EnochLight

04 Jul 2018

O1B wrote:
04 Jul 2018
Dont feel too bad. I addressed the issue. Enochlight responded. I respect his response.
If it happens again, I will say something again.
Curious: if what happens again? Asking for a friend.

FWIW: I have no opinion on Hydlide, nor his "contribution" to the Reason community or Reasontalk. It's nice to see he has a massive fan base, though. I'm pretty sure we're all looking forward to bug fixes and performance improvements.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

normen

04 Jul 2018

EnochLight wrote:
04 Jul 2018
It's nice to see he has a massive fan base, though.
Pretty sure it's about the style and not the lyrics though ;)

BRIGGS

04 Jul 2018

I'm so thankful for 'bounce to audio'. When the cpu cores get full, dump it to ram! It all ends up in ram anyway! :puf_bigsmile:
Last edited by BRIGGS on 05 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.
r11s

EnochLight

04 Jul 2018

normen wrote:
04 Jul 2018
EnochLight wrote:
04 Jul 2018
It's nice to see he has a massive fan base, though.
Pretty sure it's about the style and not the lyrics though ;)
Lol :lol: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

O1B

04 Jul 2018

Hydlide had ONE Synth and what looked like two Synchonis in the FX chain. That's all.
It's impossible that the performance was soo bad.

If one is just bleep-blooping, Reason is the Joint, I suppose...but -
how anyone could complete a song within Reason:
Vocals, Insts, FX, and TSAR-1 is beyond me.
I can't imagine the tune wouldn't be just a compromise of CPU/DSP/memory concerns rather than what's best for the tune. Forget about the dreams of building megasynths inside a combinator, A/B different instruments/ effects chains, PEFF style looping - for now.

If Hydlide is wrong about the reason, so be it. I didn't hear the reason, just the results.
But, the situation is nonetheless, dire. Some acknowledgement of the problem is in order.

I love VSTs, REs, and all of that (NKS, please) - but at the expense of inefficiency?
I hope there's a plan for a way out of this or all this RA RA about
'You'll have your REs forever" is nonsense.

I won't be switching DAWS. Reason's got me. CV alone.
But, I am forced to Hardware to an extent - to get my work done.
Reason has become a respository of Audio Files. It seems that's all it can handle efficiently.

FYI, I did load up kH ONE, and it was fine this time. (I'm on 9.5. Lazy)
But, there was a preset that raised the DSP to five bars ON IT'S OWN.
Not anymore - or, I couldn't find that preset.

kH ONE is AWESOME!!! I just want to USE it! And, all my other REs.

ahuimanu wrote:
03 Jul 2018
My conclusion is that props may have lost their way as they became distracted with mobile, social, and other marginal market-grabbing trends. Hell, even VST is arguably both a distraction and trend-following.

They kept me in their ecosystem with REs and now I feel trapped.

Anyhoo, I can relate to what hydlide is saying from experience.

Reasonable man

04 Jul 2018

His Refills are massive...and free and i think he makes a fair point here about optimization.
He explains complicated stuff in terms of reason and he does it in a thoughtfull way and i think we can all acknowledge that. He dosn't tow the party line or tolerate cliques etc etc and i guess that makes him a tricky customer for Propellerheads. Part of being on the Propellerheads staff is towing the party line afterall..... thats where they're monthly paycheque comes from!

I meet people like Hydelide all the time in life....we all do and you gladly give them leeway that perhaps you wouldn't others because ultimatley they have ideas or creativity that others just arn't capable of and you let these people do things/express things in their own way . Othen there is no right or wrong way to express things anyway ....most of that is to do with subjective idealisms and peoples tendency to deal with things/ people in terms of black or white.

O1B

04 Jul 2018

You're very frank, Reasonable Man.
I think it would be quite something to know you in private life.
Reasonable man wrote:
04 Jul 2018
His Refills are massive...and free and i think he makes a fair point here about optimization.
He explains complicated stuff in terms of reason and he does it in a thoughtfull way and i think we can all acknowledge that. He dosn't tow the party line or tolerate cliques etc etc and i guess that makes him a tricky customer for Propellerheads. Part of being on the Propellerheads staff is towing the party line afterall..... thats where they're monthly paycheque comes from!

I meet people like Hydelide all the time in life....we all do and you gladly give them leeway that perhaps you wouldn't others because ultimatley they have ideas or creativity that others just arn't capable of and you let these people do things/express things in their own way . Othen there is no right or wrong way to express things anyway ....most of that is to do with subjective idealisms and peoples tendency to deal with things/ people in terms of black or white.

MarkTarlton

04 Jul 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
04 Jul 2018

great points on everything!

EnochLight

04 Jul 2018

Exode has the 10 core/20 thread Intel Core i9-7900X as well, and he's pretty intimate with Expanse (seeing as how it's his brainchild with Blamsoft). I wonder if he'd be willing to chime in to this thread. I remember him mentioning to me in a conversation elsewhere that Blamsoft VK2 was performing pretty good on his 10 core Core i9-7900X in Reason, but it wasn't noticeable with 1 instance (single core wasn't good), but with a total of 45 instances of VK2 and 35 tracks playing simultaneously (monophonic/one voice sounds only though) at all times it showed about 84% CPU and 64% memory usage in task manager, at 128 samples @ 48 KHz. And this was with every instance set to the highest quality settings (dist, osc, and filter).

wireless

04 Jul 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
04 Jul 2018

:thumbs_up: Nice one - fully concur. Let's have a bit more tolerance in general and celebrate our differences eh?

Back to the subject of Hydlide's VLog on multicore performance, I can't help wondering if the problem he's highlighted might just come down to a poorly implemented bugfix. It's now known that Props were trying to fix an iOS issue and it has also been reported that the 10.1.1 problems are solved for some by switching off multicore and multi threading. Just maybe, Hydlide has taken delivery of his new PC at exactly the same time as an error crept into the up-issue of Reason. We should know in about a week I suppose when Props release the updated bugfix. Personally I've chosen not to update my system pending release of the next minor update.

Hydrosonic

04 Jul 2018

I find this funny, someone states a current problem in Reason, and as usual the usual crowd pop up and say its not an Issue. In the same way the usual crowd tried their bestt tto make sure VSTs in Reason wouldn't happen, or were not needed. And a fair few of those had never triied a VST or didn't even know what they were. But yeah he has a point. Multticore support and in general basic CPU efficiency are a bit lacking in Reason.

I am not a fan of Hydlide I find his voice on his videos very bland. But thats just me :) But he does make a good point.

mind2069

04 Jul 2018

Flavolous wrote:
04 Jul 2018
EnochLight wrote:
03 Jul 2018

Funny to read this, I was thinking the same thing that it was inappropriate to talk about his wife

I did not post about it because it would of derailed the thread but now i'm writing just to let know that you were not wrong or alone in saying that it was inappropriate to mention his wife in the context of his response.

I felt it was passive / aggressive / ironical or something like that because he was saying just before in defence of PH that they were working on the issue and said (Did he really need to dedicate a whole video to this), pretty sure considering the 2 previous statements before the wife reference, it was not said in good heart, just my feeling. Sure he will never admit it and will probably say he was really sincere witch I personally don't believe, maybe i'm wrong, not a big deal.

EnochLight

04 Jul 2018

Hydrosonic wrote:
04 Jul 2018
I find this funny, someone states a current problem in Reason, and as usual the usual crowd pop up and say its not an Issue. In the same way the usual crowd tried their bestt tto make sure VSTs in Reason wouldn't happen, or were not needed. And a fair few of those had never triied a VST or didn't even know what they were. But yeah he has a point. Multticore support and in general basic CPU efficiency are a bit lacking in Reason.
In this entire thread, I've not read anywhere that suggested it wasn't an issue. Can you point me to where/who said that?
Hydrosonic wrote:
04 Jul 2018
I am not a fan of Hydlide I find his voice on his videos very bland. But thats just me :) But he does make a good point.
He does have a special way of presenting things. ;)
mind2069 wrote:
04 Jul 2018
Funny to read this, I was thinking the same thing that it was inappropriate to talk about his wife

I did not post about it because it would of derailed the thread but now i'm writing just to let know that you were not wrong or alone in saying that it was inappropriate to mention his wife in the context of his response.

I felt it was passive / aggressive / ironical or something like that because he was saying just before in defence of PH that they were working on the issue and said (Did he really need to dedicate a whole video to this), pretty sure considering the 2 previous statements before the wife reference, it was not said in good heart, just my feeling. Sure he will never admit it and will probably say he was really sincere witch I personally don't believe, maybe i'm wrong, not a big deal.
No one was "talking about his wife". I'm not sure how people extract all sorts of drama from that one simple sentence. Wasn't this put to bed already? He made a public video sharing issues, and invited the entire Internet into his personal life during a tragedy. I merely stated "I guess his wife is doing OK (which is nice to hear)". :roll:

Also, I think it's clear some people need to stop being such delicate snowflakes. This isn't particularly aimed at you, mind2069, but in general...

Prescription.jpg
Prescription.jpg (71.39 KiB) Viewed 2805 times

selig
RE Developer

04 Jul 2018

mind2069 wrote:
Flavolous wrote:
04 Jul 2018

There is nothing wrong expressing about concern for his wife, for goodness sake, and it is certainly not inappropriate on any level as long as it’s within the forum guidelines. We all know about his wife’s situation, he’s the one who made it public, and I imagine we all want the best for her.

And if it’s not a big deal to you, I suggest just not posting next time please!

Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

04 Jul 2018

1 by one...

Selig, you're wrong on this one.
An apology is in order to Hydlide's family.

I dont expect one. Wives are on the table, apparently.

Ill brush on my Witchcraft for just such a occasion.

selig
RE Developer

04 Jul 2018

O1B wrote:1 by one...

Selig, you're wrong on this one.
An apology is in order to Hydlide's family.

I dont expect one. Wives are on the table, apparently.

Ill brush on my Witchcraft for just such a occasion.
What the “F” do you think happened here? Are we even talking about the same thing?

Wives on the table?

I’m happy to stand corrected if I’ve missed something, but if not then just relax.

Take it to PM if you can explain how concern for a loved one requires an apology now. We all know what’s going on with H’s wife, and we all want the best for her.

I Echo EnochLight’s sentiment that I hope all is well now.

If that’s a problem for you, take it up with admin/Kenni.

And let’s get back on topic now that this is out of the way.

Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

04 Jul 2018

For the Record, I Love Hydlide. How 'bout dat.
For the record.... 'Hydlide HATES US'
I dont echo them... neither does a LOT of responders here.

Nix the moral high ground, Selig. You don't have that position in this topic.
And, its obvious that bringing up someone's WIFE BOTHERS readers
- as, it's been brought up by at least 4 different Men.

I assure you, for most men, in REAL LIFE, this would lead to a serious misunderstadning.
But, you go on with your internet tough guy routine - 'what the f'- and normalize attacks - sorry - brining up people's family.

What goes around.

Im out of this thread. Hydlide has spoken.

ravisoni

04 Jul 2018

Man, I understand diversity and all, but we have some truly absurd personalities around here. And that just seems to be on the rise. Starting to feel toxic around these parts (the most surprising part is that I feel it more so from long time members). Think it's time to give RT a rest. Been fun while it lasted, but before I go, one final piece of advice to all parties on all sides: in the name of all that is holy on the interwebs, you do not have to reply to every comment. It's important to be right. It's even more important to know when to be right.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

• Information