pluginplay.co - attempt to unify VST environment

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
antic604

23 Jun 2018

I don't know whether this should be in VST subforum, but I thought it's interesting enough to share here.

So basically pluginplay.co seems to offer similar functionality that Rack Extensions do, but for VSTs. You manage - install, update, etc. - your plugins from single account, you can try them out for free (10h every month!), there's also subscriptions available. For now not many developers are on board (seems like it's just D16 and kHs on the website, but they mention "hundreds of plugins" in video), but if this catches up it could be a game changer - I hate the fact I need to remember all the websites, e-mails, logins & password for my plugins, which makes REs so much more convenient to use.

http://pluginplay.co/

normen

23 Jun 2018

This is not like REs for developers though afaics. Meaning they don't supply a whole chain for software development, compilation and cross-platform compatibility. The advantage of REs is that as a developer you literally only write one version and the Props put it on all the hard- and software platforms they support themselves, even future ones.

This is just the shop side of things, so yeah, for the user it's similar to the prop shop but it's not much different than existing sites like pluginalliance.com - or Steam for games, except they apparently offer rentals right from the get-go.

antic604

24 Jun 2018

Yes, I meant for the user.

I think Props now have the tech, money and hopefully a plan to pull off a more complete solution, because they seem to be able to convert the REs into VSTs and web apps (soon maybe AU too?), now they only need to build an infrastructure to tie those VSTs to our Props accounts to be able to install & update them from there - I was really surprised this wasn't in place for Europa VST release - just like REs. That could be an enticing proposition for smaller developers. I wonder if that's their plan?

Pakotec

29 Jun 2018

I wanted to comment about this subject, because we are friendly to small developers as well. Meaning that we are API you have an option to have only 1 version of the plugin.
Plugin developers can choose either create a separate plugin with our code, or to integrate it on the same plugin that they are selling in their website. The API checking if the plugin was installed from PluginPlay, if yes it will activate all the PluginPlay features. If not, it will have the regular developer activation flow.

However I am not sure if this is what you were talking about, or you actually meant like the whole pack where you can develop your plugins?

normen

29 Jun 2018

Pakotec wrote:
29 Jun 2018
I wanted to comment about this subject, because we are friendly to small developers as well. Meaning that we are API you have an option to have only 1 version of the plugin.
Plugin developers can choose either create a separate plugin with our code, or to integrate it on the same plugin that they are selling in their website. The API checking if the plugin was installed from PluginPlay, if yes it will activate all the PluginPlay features. If not, it will have the regular developer activation flow.

However I am not sure if this is what you were talking about, or you actually meant like the whole pack where you can develop your plugins?
Hey, thanks for chiming in. Yeah, I meant a complete platform-independent development stack for audio plugins in general, also for all the audio processing, GUI etc. - like you have with REs :) With REs you basically upload something like bytecode that is later compiled for each platform by the Props.

Pakotec

01 Jul 2018

hmm it's interesting...I mean, that wasn't our main intention as the product suppose to do something else. But it can defiantly be something that we will consider in the future depending on the demand. Thank for the feedback! :)

• Information