Combinator Lock

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
RobC

22 Jun 2018

Sometimes, while people like to share, they probably want to keep some things a secret.

Maybe this already was even suggested: adding a publishing feature to Combinators, where one can't open its contained devices, nor the programmer section.

jam-s

23 Jun 2018

Joke: That's called an IDT RE ;)

RobC

23 Jun 2018

jam-s wrote:
23 Jun 2018
Joke: That's called an IDT RE ;)
As long as it's creative, it's cool though ~ : )

jimmyklane

23 Jun 2018

RobC wrote:
22 Jun 2018
Sometimes, while people like to share, they probably want to keep some things a secret.

Maybe this already was even suggested: adding a publishing feature to Combinators, where one can't open its contained devices, nor the programmer section.
That’s totally against the spirit of Reason in my opinion. Not sure if you were around for the original PH website, but there was a thriving scene for sharing song files for rebirth and reason as well as refills.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

strangers
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
23 Jun 2018
That’s totally against the spirit of Reason in my opinion. Not sure if you were around for the original PH website, but there was a thriving scene for sharing song files for rebirth and reason as well as refills.
I wasn't a Reason user at that time. Sounds like it was an inspiring scene to be part of. I'll quickly admit that I really like the ability to see what's under the hood of refills and combinators. I don't have even an ounce of the sound design experience many on here do. Checking out the guts has been a great learning tool for me. I always wish there were more song files floating around specifically to see and learn from what others do. There's always plenty of random things or maybe very obvious things I wouldn't think to do or try that I can pick up on.

jimmyklane

23 Jun 2018

strangers wrote:
23 Jun 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
23 Jun 2018
I wasn't a Reason user at that time. Sounds like it was an inspiring scene to be part of. I'll quickly admit that I really like the ability to see what's under the hood of refills and combinators. I don't have even an ounce of the sound design experience many on here do. Checking out the guts has been a great learning tool for me. I always wish there were more song files floating around specifically to see and learn from what others do. There's always plenty of random things or maybe very obvious things I wouldn't think to do or try that I can pick up on.
I’m usually happy to share my files. Problem is that by the time they are songs most of them are muted EMIs and audio, which is pretty boring tbh.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

benjified

23 Jun 2018

The difficulty in locking out combinators would be for users not knowing if they have all the required devices to use it. Then if you tell users what REs they will need, the mystery is ruined.

scratchnsnifff

23 Jun 2018

I believe they sort have implemented this. Try copying and pasting a patch from a refill to a fresh instance. I think I tried to copy and paste a Reese bass from a refill inside of a combinator patch and a message of worts popped up.
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Ahornberg

24 Jun 2018

RobC wrote:
22 Jun 2018

Would you really like to use a Combinator patch where you can't go inside and adapt some parameters here and there to make it sound like you want?

Sorry, for me this is a no-go :thumbs_down:

RobC

24 Jun 2018

Actually, I meant it more for situations when people can create something unique and useful, but can't make a RE, cause it's made pretty much impossible to run a company.
That said, RE developers don't share their code to the public either, do they?

Just because I don't want to share every detail, I shouldn't share at all?
We still could share what's contained, I'm not saying that, especially if one would want to use non-stock plugins, just all the tiny details and hard work that you don't want to share just yet.

I get it, we have a saying where you 'offer your finger, and they want to take your whole arm'.
...And for more flexibility, I guess some more controls would come in handy. Maybe combinators could have some linked controllers, similar to how you can build up the main mixer.

So, yeah, if I want to offer a finger, don't expect an arm. ; )

Very much go idea. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

It's about privacy and avoiding copy-pasta-ing, too.

• Information