Best way to bounce a track WITH sends processing?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
antic604

22 Jun 2018

Is there any other way to do it other than muting all the other tracks & then bouncing the Master?

Alternatively, is there a way to bounce track in place so that the new track 'inherits' all the settings for sends?

jimmyklane

22 Jun 2018

If I need to record the sends, I create audio tracks and route the outputs from the master section to them. At that point you turn the sends off.

This is actually my method of recording my effects as most of the time I’m using rack hardware. I see no reason it shouldn’t work with VSTs.
Last edited by jimmyklane on 22 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

guitfnky

22 Jun 2018

I think you can do an export, select the tracks you want, and include the processing, then just pull the files back into your session. I'm not at my DAW computer, so I don't know the exact names of the settings you need, but it should be fairly self-evident, as I recall.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

antic604

22 Jun 2018

guitfnky wrote:
22 Jun 2018
I think you can do an export, select the tracks you want, and include the processing, then just pull the files back into your session. I'm not at my DAW computer, so I don't know the exact names of the settings you need, but it should be fairly self-evident, as I recall.
According to manual page #517 it's only for Master inserts & levels, not sends.

However, I just noticed the bounce can be done to new audio track & this track can indeed 'inherit' channel settings, so that's something! Since the send FX are running anyway (for all the other tracks), bouncing to audio with them wouldn't have made any difference to the DSP.

antic604

22 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
22 Jun 2018
If I need to record the sends, I create audio tracks and route the outputs from the master section to them. At that point you turn the sends off.

This is actually my method of recording my effects as most of the time I’m using rack hardware. I see no reason it shouldn’t work with VSTs.
Yeah, I guess it's good practice to actually create separate Mix Channels for Sends, instead of using the "default" way. I'm not gonna bother this time, but I'll definitely do this for my next project (or maybe even add to 'new song' template)

jimmyklane

22 Jun 2018

antic604 wrote:
22 Jun 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
22 Jun 2018

Yeah, I guess it's good practice to actually create separate Mix Channels for Sends, instead of using the "default" way. I'm not gonna bother this time, but I'll definitely do this for my next project (or maybe even add to 'new song' template)
With the case of VST effects, you may run into a snag: you’ll have to keep all 8 stereo tracks on Record Monitor and if I’m not mistaken then system latency will apply. Not 100% sure I’ll have to read the manual on this issue. However, when you have the 100% wet tracks you can then rebalance them, add effects to the effects, etc, all while saving CPU. I know that I’ve got some reverbs that eat CPU cycles for breakfast, and I like to have different flavors than just the rackmount units I own.

I’m working on mixing an album now where I’ve got to do exactly what you’re talking about, as I need the Aux sends for hardware and don’t want to add Reverbs/Delays as insert effects but the whole thing requires super wet and effected tracks across the board.

***EDIT***
I mean MIX channels if you’re using VSTs. I use Audio because I’m coming in from outside hardware.
Last edited by jimmyklane on 22 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

QVprod

22 Jun 2018

No the best way is soloing and bouncing. Sends are an entirely different track than the track that's sending to it. The master fader is the only place where those signals actually combine. If the intent is to bounce a track with fx for use else where, then it's best to use the desired effect as an insert.

As far as routing sends to mix channels, it's only really useful if you want to use the SSL processing on the send. Otherwise you're dealing with the shortcoming of there being no solo safe option in Reason for little benefit.

QVprod

22 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
22 Jun 2018
antic604 wrote:
22 Jun 2018

With the case of VST effects, you may run into a snag: you’ll have to keep all 8 stereo tracks on Record Monitor and if I’m not mistaken then system latency will apply.
Actually if you're routing software fx, you would use mix channels and not audio tracks. It's a different workflow than using hardware. I mentioned the caveat of that in my previous post though.

antic604

22 Jun 2018

QVprod wrote:
22 Jun 2018
As far as routing sends to mix channels, it's only really useful if you want to use the SSL processing on the send. Otherwise you're dealing with the shortcoming of there being no solo safe option in Reason for little benefit.
Indeed, this comment was about general use of sends (especially using SSL features on then, like HPF and EQ. It obviously doesn't make bouncing them together with the source signal any easier :)

• Information