What features are REALLY necessary for Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jackjackdaw

26 Dec 2019

You know, in Cubase you can't turn off loop mode while it's recording, and if you do something like load a new vst while the track is playing, it pauses to load it. And while it does have autosave, it crashes ALL the time so you damn well need it!

Just some perspective, Reason is awesome in many ways and not a lame dog.

Proboscis

26 Dec 2019

It would be nice to have the mute/solo all off buttons from the mixer to also appear in the rack window.

ShelLuser

26 Dec 2019

I apologize for a (somewhat) troll post.. I can't help it..

ReWire!

I'd be using Reason 11 right now if they hadn't dropped this. I still feel kind of strongly about this... but if it never comes back then it honestly won't bother me at all anymore because I will always have Reason 10, if I want more there's always Komplete for me. And I will take Komplete over the Reason VST any day of the week.
--- :reason:

Proboscis

26 Dec 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
26 Dec 2019
I apologize for a (somewhat) troll post.. I can't help it..

ReWire!

I'd be using Reason 11 right now if they hadn't dropped this. I still feel kind of strongly about this... but if it never comes back then it honestly won't bother me at all anymore because I will always have Reason 10, if I want more there's always Komplete for me. And I will take Komplete over the Reason VST any day of the week.
It's a strange state of affairs when people request a feature that already exists, but was suddenly taken away with no explanation, nothing. I empathize with the people who use Rewire as a part of their process, and suddenly discovered that it's gone. I would be very peeved if that were me.

cocoazenith

09 Jan 2020

Do older versions of Reason lack support?
I mean if I need VST3 I am forced to upgrade whenever they implement it in the current version?

chaosroyale

09 Jan 2020

Yes, but almost all software tools work that way. Same for Live or Logic etc.
cocoazenith wrote:
09 Jan 2020
Do older versions of Reason lack support?
I mean if I need VST3 I am forced to upgrade whenever they implement it in the current version?

cocoazenith

09 Jan 2020

I know that but Reason has a 4 version increment during 4 years while Live and Logic only have one :(

Busta US

20 Feb 2020

Busta US wrote:
22 Dec 2019
MattiasHG wrote:
02 Aug 2018

Yes, we read most things. :geek:

For fun I took the opportunity to go through this thread and list all things that are, in your opinion, REALLY necessary for Reason 11. It's quite the long list of really necessary things. Pretty sure I can't promise we'll get all this done in Reason 11. :shock:

• Improved performance
• Combinator with more knobs and modulation
• Text input for values
• 4K display
• Work areas side by side
• Grouping tracks
• Multi clip edit
• Track freeze
• Select vertical slice
• Keyboard shortcuts
• Display VSTs in rack
• Spectrum before/after EQ
• Samples in project folder
• Customizing reset patch
• Change coloring of tracks
• Automatically returning playing cursor
• MIDI chase
• Automation curves
• Bypass in VST window
• OctoRex support for wav
• Loops playing in sync in browser
• Default patch for native/VST plug-ins
• Double click knob to reset
• Unlimited track resizing/zooming
• Faster GUI refresh rate
• Browser navigation via keyboard
• Convert clips to block
• Empty block
• New modules in mixer
• Updated mastering tools
• Europa loads more samples
• Parametric EQ device
• Improved cabling interface
• Group/hide channels
• Ghost clips (editing one edits all copies)
• Analyze audio clips (peak, average etc.)
• Update ReGroove mixer
• Keycommands for grid resolution
• Markers
• Live trigger of blocks
• More skins/themes
• Resizeable GUI
• Control multiple faders in mixer
• Infinite send/returns
• Updated Redrum
• Updated Kong
• Updated Matrix
• Focus edit view (view only device and associated tracks/channels)
• Copy/paste in combinator
• Auto-connect new mix channels to outputs
• Mixer compressor and EQ as devices
• DSP usage statistics
• Post-fader inserts
• Polyphonic aftertouch/pitch bend
• Track folders
• MIDI editor improvements
• Eurorack/modular environment
• VST MIDI support
• Mixer snapshots
• Lyrics window
• Export as MP3
• Put content on external drive
• Punch in/out
• Always-on recording
• MIDI loop recording
• Dynamic snap to grid
• Slice edit threshold control
• More outputs for VST device
• New chorus/flanger
• Multiband compressor
• ReCycle in Reason
• Real-time audio slicing
• Improved remote support with more targets
• Muting individual notes
• Version handling for projects
• Comp mode for MIDI
• Better timestretch
• Apple Loops support
• Root key / chord track
• Gesture support
• Foldable and key maps in MIDI sequencer
• Video support
• Preview MIDI with sleected device
• ReBirth devices
• Crossfades
• Context sensitive multi-tool
• VST3 support
• Hide mixer channels
• Custom keyboard shortcuts
• Zooming in the rack
• VST support in ReWire mode
• View one rack/device group per track
• Better sampler
• Pop-up editor for rack devices, á la VST window
• MIDI data converter
• DJ functionality
• Better organization of plug-ins

Is this sort of a roadmap of what's to come in future versions of Reason? I can see some features on the list have been added to R11. If all of the above-mentioned features will be added Reason would be undoubtedly on par with the greatest DAWs on the market if not better!
Remember this ? Mathias ? What about some of this to be impletemented in 11 ? Or Nah ?

orthodox
RE Developer

20 Feb 2020

Busta US wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Remember this ? Mathias ? What about some of this to be impletemented in 11 ? Or Nah ?
It takes more time I guess.

Busta US

20 Feb 2020

orthodox wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Busta US wrote:
20 Feb 2020
It takes more time I guess.
Brother Orthodox, I cannot but have the feeling that they just want to milk money. My "locked" post shows how much FL Studio regularly updates the DAW to please their customers. Instead of coding a useless beatmaker RE that has superior competitors in VST formats, they can use that exact same time to work on the DAW elements. One dude told me "bc they are developing REs". Since when are REs more important than the DAW's core-features !! No track folders in 2020! No VST3 support!! No modern sampler! Prehistoric sequencer editing tools! Come on now brother! This is nothing less than embarrassing...

orthodox
RE Developer

20 Feb 2020

Busta US wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Brother Orthodox, I cannot but have the feeling that they just want to milk money. My "locked" post shows how much FL Studio regularly updates the DAW to please their customers. Instead of coding a useless beatmaker RE that has superior competitors in VST formats, they can use that exact same time to work on the DAW elements. One dude told me "bc they are developing REs". Since when are REs more important than the DAW's core-features !! No track folders in 2020! No VST3 support!! No modern sampler! Prehistoric sequencer editing tools! Come on now brother! This is nothing less than embarrassing...
I can only speculate that those making REs and updating the core were different developers. Making REs doesn't slow them down from developing the core features, but it brings a quick value when you bundle it with a minor upgrade to help to PR it. You could of course reallocate the developer resources to the core, but it would not speed up the things. If you collect 9 pregnant women in one place, they won't deliver in one month.

Busta US

20 Feb 2020

orthodox wrote:
20 Feb 2020
If you collect 9 pregnant women in one place, they won't deliver in one month.
LMAOO that made it really clear in my head :lol:

Thx as always for your knowledge Orthodox, always very much appreciated :thumbs_up:

ebaychamp808

30 Jan 2022

m.arthur wrote:
08 Jan 2019
ebaychamp808 wrote:
08 Jan 2019
ou guys covered all the editing tools and i agree. im hoping they remodel kong...just trick it out- add a slicer and combine redrum and drum machine into one of its features as opposed to separate drum modules :adapted:
Reason is a modular program. You have Redrum with its sequencer, you have Kong which can be triggered by Redrum's sequencer, you have Octo Rex for all your slicing needs, and the whole program is modular with cables and audio/cv routing between all devices plus combinators to save units together, but no, you still somehow need them repackaged for you into a single device? Seriously? Maybe you're using the wrong program...
Maybe I am- who knows. I use a wide variety of programs. but anyways- you cannot slice in dr. octo rex you have to use an external program for that which interrupts you WF, we are in an age of maschine and mpk x where you can do all of that in one software so my suggestion is basically one that would pretty much fill a giant flaw reason has when compared to the competition. My point is i dont wanna HAVE to use maschine because its faster, Ableton because its more intuitive, studio one because its engineering tools are both more advanced and more user friendly, and fl studio because its piano role and scoring is great- with a software as innovative as reason i, theoretically should be able to do all of that IN reason WITHOUT turning into a sound engineer strictly- which is what your post suggests we should do. Yes we are going to learn some SE principles by virtue of what we do but my primary goal is the creation of completed songs.

moofi

31 Jan 2022

No, you don´t need an external program to slice, you can do it within Reason´s sequencer and export to a REX-file from within the sequencer.
ebaychamp808 wrote:
30 Jan 2022
[...]
you cannot slice in dr. octo rex you have to use an external program for that which interrupts you WF[...]

• Information