What features are REALLY necessary for Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
dezma

14 Jun 2019

I'm missing autosave functionality in that list.

I'd like to have a DAW that catches up with other DAW's functionality:

AUTOSAVE > face it, VST's make reason less stable, and I've lost several hours of work since introduction because of crashes
previewing wav/REX files in browser IN SYNC with the playing track/loop
a missing samples search that actually works
midi out/thru for VST, preferably patchable in the rack
sample drag n drop from browser to VST
working automation for all VST (avenger needs a combinator to be automated because of the number of parameters the synth has)
folders in sequencer
updated automation process and curved automation

Then we can talk cosmetics such as GUI or updates or new stuff

No props we don't want MORE of EVERYTHING, we want BETTER of EVERYTHING EXISTING

Jagwah

15 Jun 2019

djadalaide wrote:
14 Jun 2019
Jagwah wrote:
13 Jun 2019

Have you tried these: https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... rol-board/ Just lacking the Combinator Matrix.
Sounds like it might be similar to what what you are after, there's others with more controllers and there is a black version of them as well, all free thanks to the late Hakan Muller.
I have tried it, yes its really good. I did buy a few before they were released for free.

I've been thinking, maybe there is a way of using a midi loopback to control normally inaccessible parameters.
It's been an issue for a long time, since Reason 4 at least. If there was a workaround I think it would have been worked out by now. I have always been hoping Props will create something to surpass this limitation.

montfrooij

19 Jun 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
02 Aug 2018
DOEXmusic wrote:
30 Jul 2018
Does Propellerhead even read these suggestions? :roll:
Yes, we read most things. :geek:

For fun I took the opportunity to go through this thread and list all things that are, in your opinion, REALLY necessary for Reason 11. It's quite the long list of really necessary things. Pretty sure I can't promise we'll get all this done in Reason 11. :shock:

• Improved performance
• Combinator with more knobs and modulation
• Text input for values
• 4K display
• Work areas side by side
• Grouping tracks
• Multi clip edit
• Track freeze
• Select vertical slice
• Keyboard shortcuts
• Display VSTs in rack
• Spectrum before/after EQ
• Samples in project folder
• Customizing reset patch
• Change coloring of tracks
• Automatically returning playing cursor
• MIDI chase
• Automation curves
• Bypass in VST window
• OctoRex support for wav
• Loops playing in sync in browser
• Default patch for native/VST plug-ins
• Double click knob to reset
• Unlimited track resizing/zooming
• Faster GUI refresh rate
• Browser navigation via keyboard
• Convert clips to block
• Empty block
• New modules in mixer
• Updated mastering tools
• Europa loads more samples
• Parametric EQ device
• Improved cabling interface
• Group/hide channels
• Ghost clips (editing one edits all copies)
• Analyze audio clips (peak, average etc.)
• Update ReGroove mixer
• Keycommands for grid resolution
• Markers
• Live trigger of blocks
• More skins/themes
• Resizeable GUI
• Control multiple faders in mixer
• Infinite send/returns
• Updated Redrum
• Updated Kong
• Updated Matrix
• Focus edit view (view only device and associated tracks/channels)
• Copy/paste in combinator
• Auto-connect new mix channels to outputs
• Mixer compressor and EQ as devices
• DSP usage statistics
• Post-fader inserts
• Polyphonic aftertouch/pitch bend
• Track folders
• MIDI editor improvements
• Eurorack/modular environment
• VST MIDI support
• Mixer snapshots
• Lyrics window
• Export as MP3
• Put content on external drive
• Punch in/out
• Always-on recording
• MIDI loop recording
• Dynamic snap to grid
• Slice edit threshold control
• More outputs for VST device
• New chorus/flanger
• Multiband compressor
• ReCycle in Reason
• Real-time audio slicing
• Improved remote support with more targets
• Muting individual notes
• Version handling for projects
• Comp mode for MIDI
• Better timestretch
• Apple Loops support
• Root key / chord track
• Gesture support
• Foldable and key maps in MIDI sequencer
• Video support
• Preview MIDI with sleected device
• ReBirth devices
• Crossfades
• Context sensitive multi-tool
• VST3 support
• Hide mixer channels
• Custom keyboard shortcuts
• Zooming in the rack
• VST support in ReWire mode
• View one rack/device group per track
• Better sampler
• Pop-up editor for rack devices, á la VST window
• MIDI data converter
• DJ functionality
• Better organization of plug-ins
I would love to add the 'sustain pedal = hold button for dual arpeggio' suggestion to that list.
I know I can add remote control for the hold button, but that is only useful when you have 1 dual arpeggio in your rack you want to control :)

reggie1979

19 Jun 2019

That's quite some list!!!!!!!!!!!!

motuscott

20 Jun 2019

Advertisements within the rack itself!!!
Hey guys I just got this idea from another thread, within the rack banner ads for things that google has decided you're interested in.
Trust me. You're gonna love it!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

reggie1979

20 Jun 2019

motuscott wrote:
20 Jun 2019
Advertisements within the rack itself!!!
Hey guys I just got this idea from another thread, within the rack banner ads for things that google has decided you're interested in.
Trust me. You're gonna love it!
Sweet, you mean like those youtube ads that keep regurgitating over and over? Perfect! So every 10 minutes Reason is open, you get an interruption. That would be awesome.

reggie1979

20 Jun 2019

And I'd so buy the products they advertise.............

electrofux

21 Jun 2019

Wher is my Clip Launcher in that list? :lol:

reggie1979

21 Jun 2019

electrofux wrote:
21 Jun 2019
It's here:

https://www.ableton.com/en/

with rewire :)

Eprom

22 Jun 2019

Like I said in the other thread, my only wish is "zoom to device".
A double click on a device to pop it up full screen would make my life so much easier ;-)
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

Faastwalker

22 Jun 2019

Track warping - as in Ableton Live & Acid Pro.

LittleBoy

22 Jun 2019

Hi everybody... I am new here.

My list:

1. Video support. Come on, GarageBand has! It’s a joke? (Only video sync support, not video editing tools).
2. External Instrument with MIDI and audio (same device and same track, and automatic latency correction, of course).
3. Automation curves.
4. New and improved dynamic effects and EQ analyzer (pre / post / freeze / pitch detection).
5. Better audio edition in the arrangement view (tools / zooming / resizing).
6. Mono mode button (master channel).

Sorry, one more:

7. Update Ableton Link support.

electrofux

24 Jun 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
21 Jun 2019
electrofux wrote:
21 Jun 2019
It's here:

https://www.ableton.com/en/

with rewire :)
Then i am for bidirectional Midi in Rewire ;-)

bitley

12 Jul 2019

Polyphonic aftertouch already! (Disappointed here, had set out trying my old Ensoniq EPS as controller and when it transmits key pressure Reason doesn't respond at all).

stp2015

13 Jul 2019

For improved remote support:
  • zoom in / out should get an incremental type remote item (same type as song position)
  • left / right zoom points need the same type of remotable items
  • the zoom-bar itself also needs one (keep size the same but move left/right)
These are the exact same types of remotable items you have already implemented for the loop points. Just think of the zoom bar as the loop region.

Also good would be copy and paste removables. All of a sudden, I would need the keyboard much less often.

These seem very simple to implement and would do a lot for workflow, no? :D

rorystorm

18 Jul 2019

Add my support for curves for automation, ghost clips, multiple markers with labels, the ability to manually type in parameter values, and rack view zooming.

Also.....

Back in the day I used to use Cubase, and it has a great thing where it displays the cursor's exact coordinates in the piano scroll and velocity and automation drawing windows. At the moment in Reason you make an educated guess, click, and then type the exact values in, if you're doing detailed automation or velocity editing. It also highlights the piano scroll key of whatever note you're about to draw which is really useful if you're like me and using a bigass screen and you're drawing notes over on its right hand side.

(I'm talking Cubase 3 and feeling very old).

Rather than updating the current Combinator, an expanded version of it so you can choose between two to meet the needs of your project. Seeing as most newer devices have large numbers of parameters only having four rotary knobs and four buttons can be limiting. But also with the option of a smaller less CPU hungry version for when you only want to control a small number of parameters.

The ability to either copy and paste matrix modulation values between copies of the same devices within the combinator, or to edit multiple devices simultaneously, would be great.

One thing that I'd have in a perfect world is using the combinator's modulation matrix to map output from any knob in one device to a knob in another device , which is what I'd assumed you could do with Combinator before I started using it, rather than being limited to working through the rotary knobs and and cv connections. In other words, using a knob of any device within the combinator as a source rather than just the combinator's rotary knob, button or cv input. (For example, applying an LFO2 value from a Subtractor to a Thor filter, etc). I know you can kind of do this already to a limited extent but at the moment you can't assign the output of a knob that doesn't have a corresponding CV output on the back and cabling it to the combinator's cv inputs.

Demand, demand, demand....

chimp_spanner

19 Jul 2019

Here's an interesting exercise for you; if you ever wanna know what Reason is missing (or what could be improved), try showing it to a long time user of another DAW. It really forces you to be honest about things you tolerate or work around that could be done differently or better! Case in point, I was showing my girlfriend around R10 last night. She loves the stuff I do with it and doesn't always have the best time with Cubase, in terms of sound anyway. But every now and then she'd ask me a question about why something does or doesn't work a certain way and the only answer I could give was "well, it just doesn't...I guess it is kind of annoying sometimes" :lol:

Not saying this in a negative or bashing kinda way! But it is interesting to just get a fresh/new perspective on the software. I think Reason has enjoyed some well deserved exposure lately and I hope it's translating to a boost in popularity. But every potential new user is gonna encounter the same little roadblocks my partner did. The next update - IMO - absolutely has to be workflow improvements. For as much shit as PH get for introducing Players and making the software easier (which I still maintain is just a bizarre complaint!), it needs to be MORE accessible. More intuitive. I mean don't get me wrong...I personally get on fine with it. But I think it's a mixture of familiarity, and also my propensity for wires and knobs IRL. For someone who doesn't have that, I get why Reason might not seem like the first choice!

Looking further into the future...I think eventually we're gonna need some big, bold changes. In my head the focus should be placed on the sequencer, and the mixer. The rack, of course, should always be there. But I would expect to be able to add and edit instruments and effects without ever leaving the sequencer. Because devices aren't connected by wires on their front panels, it wouldn't be particularly jarring or paradigm breaking to have instrument and effect panels open up in pop out windows from the sequencer. I mean they'd just look like VSTs. Nothing weird about that. And you've instantly solved the problem of window/pane clutter when you want to see the arrangement, instrument and mixer at the same time. It could all be done with two screen areas, plus floating windows.

We could have a track inspector in that left zone (replacing the old browser) where you can browse instruments, add and re-order insert effect slots, add groove presets, realtime transpose, etc. And then replace the tutorial area with a media browser with indexing and fuzzy search and so on. Players and effects could all be represented by text items in slots, with pop-out editors displaying their front panels. Basically, just think about how Cubase or Studio One or Logic works, and then add the rack behind the scenes, where you can get your hands dirty if you want to. I know it's probably not a popular idea but tbh I think that's the best shot Props have at bringing Reason right up to date, while keeping the things that make it really unique and powerful.

That's my idea vision for the software. How likely it is...who knows!

boingy

19 Jul 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
19 Jul 2019
Here's an interesting exercise for you; if you ever wanna know what Reason is missing (or what could be improved), try showing it to a long time user of another DAW. It really forces you to be honest about things you tolerate or work around that could be done differently or better! Case in point, I was showing my girlfriend around R10 last night. She loves the stuff I do with it and doesn't always have the best time with Cubase, in terms of sound anyway. But every now and then she'd ask me a question about why something does or doesn't work a certain way and the only answer I could give was "well, it just doesn't...I guess it is kind of annoying sometimes" :lol:

Not saying this in a negative or bashing kinda way! But it is interesting to just get a fresh/new perspective on the software. I think Reason has enjoyed some well deserved exposure lately and I hope it's translating to a boost in popularity. But every potential new user is gonna encounter the same little roadblocks my partner did. The next update - IMO - absolutely has to be workflow improvements. For as much shit as PH get for introducing Players and making the software easier (which I still maintain is just a bizarre complaint!), it needs to be MORE accessible. More intuitive. I mean don't get me wrong...I personally get on fine with it. But I think it's a mixture of familiarity, and also my propensity for wires and knobs IRL. For someone who doesn't have that, I get why Reason might not seem like the first choice!

Looking further into the future...I think eventually we're gonna need some big, bold changes. In my head the focus should be placed on the sequencer, and the mixer. The rack, of course, should always be there. But I would expect to be able to add and edit instruments and effects without ever leaving the sequencer. Because devices aren't connected by wires on their front panels, it wouldn't be particularly jarring or paradigm breaking to have instrument and effect panels open up in pop out windows from the sequencer. I mean they'd just look like VSTs. Nothing weird about that. And you've instantly solved the problem of window/pane clutter when you want to see the arrangement, instrument and mixer at the same time. It could all be done with two screen areas, plus floating windows.

We could have a track inspector in that left zone (replacing the old browser) where you can browse instruments, add and re-order insert effect slots, add groove presets, realtime transpose, etc. And then replace the tutorial area with a media browser with indexing and fuzzy search and so on. Players and effects could all be represented by text items in slots, with pop-out editors displaying their front panels. Basically, just think about how Cubase or Studio One or Logic works, and then add the rack behind the scenes, where you can get your hands dirty if you want to. I know it's probably not a popular idea but tbh I think that's the best shot Props have at bringing Reason right up to date, while keeping the things that make it really unique and powerful.

Yes!
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes! :thumbs_up:

I feel the obsession with the rack is starting to be the main limitation on development.
I daresay the majority of ReasonTalk users are regular rack wiring folks who love getting into the nitty gritty of CVs and splitters and routing and stuff. But I bet that the majority of Reason users as a whole rarely touch the back of the rack.

Me? I never touch CV unless I am following some tutorial for something that works around a deficiency in the sequencer.
If we want Reason to expand the user base then PH need to start catering for folks who want to work in a sequencer rather than in a patchbay.

Most people don't even know what CV is!

reggie1979

19 Jul 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
19 Jul 2019

See for me, I just did this with Studio One. Got all excited about what it does that Reason doesn't and all that. Then I discovered I was spending way more time farting around with the newness and not really making any music. The one thing I miss that is important is the IMPACT XT which is light years from Kong.

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
19 Jul 2019
In my head the focus should be placed on the sequencer, and the mixer. The rack, of course, should always be there. But I would expect to be able to add and edit instruments and effects without ever leaving the sequencer...

Basically, just think about how Cubase or Studio One or Logic works, and then add the rack behind the scenes, where you can get your hands dirty if you want to.
This.

The rack would become the equivalent (albeit much better) to the Environment in Logic, or the Grid in Bitwig.

Go there if you need to design some crazily complex Combinator or multi-track CV cross-modulation, then drop back into the efficient workflow of a streamlined sequencer/mixer experience. Would really be loyal to Prop’s mantra of helping musicians make better music faster; users of other programs could migrate over to Reason without missing a beat.

EdGrip

20 Jul 2019

I think it's probably fair to say users who are knobs-and-wires people gravitate towards Reason. They see the Rack and they think "aha, this looks like the DAW for me". Certainly that's the case for me.
What I'm saying is the Rack is Reason's unique selling point. But I agree that things could be streamlined so that you don't have to spend so much time working the Rack to get simple stuff done when you're trying to arrange (or mix).

If the Rack is more "there when you need it" rather than "you have to go to the Rack to do everything", it means the Props wouldn't have to worry about the Rack being intimidating or too complex. And that would mean MIDI cables, cos why not?

owlymane

22 Jul 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
19 Jul 2019

it wouldn't be particularly jarring or paradigm breaking to have instrument and effect panels open up in pop out windows from the sequencer. I mean they'd just look like VSTs. Nothing weird about that. And you've instantly solved the problem of window/pane clutter when you want to see the arrangement, instrument and mixer at the same time. It could all be done with two screen areas, plus floating windows.
Tbh with you, it would kill me if instruments start popping out my screen. I know all other DAWs work like that and like you said, nothing "weird" at all. But being a long-time user of this DAW and getting used to the clean, structured and unique interface is what really keeps me inside of it. So really hope the way instruments are viewed will not become like any alpha DAW. And also hope we can see the VSTs in the rack like any stock device or RE.

Instead, if they make the sequencer and rack fit side-by-side instead of vertically/ on top of each other, a lot of UI can be polished. In this case (say rack is on the left, sequencer on the right), when double-clicking on an intrument inside the sequencer, the instrument in the rack will be selected and viewed on the left. So you have on the left side your focused rack instrument and on the right side the sequencer edit view. This makes editing more fluid and smoother imo

chimp_spanner

22 Jul 2019

owlymane wrote:
22 Jul 2019
chimp_spanner wrote:
19 Jul 2019

it wouldn't be particularly jarring or paradigm breaking to have instrument and effect panels open up in pop out windows from the sequencer. I mean they'd just look like VSTs. Nothing weird about that. And you've instantly solved the problem of window/pane clutter when you want to see the arrangement, instrument and mixer at the same time. It could all be done with two screen areas, plus floating windows.
Tbh with you, it would kill me if instruments start popping out my screen. I know all other DAWs work like that and like you said, nothing "weird" at all. But being a long-time user of this DAW and getting used to the clean, structured and unique interface is what really keeps me inside of it. So really hope the way instruments are viewed will not become like any alpha DAW. And also hope we can see the VSTs in the rack like any stock device or RE.

Instead, if they make the sequencer and rack fit side-by-side instead of vertically/ on top of each other, a lot of UI can be polished. In this case (say rack is on the left, sequencer on the right), when double-clicking on an intrument inside the sequencer, the instrument in the rack will be selected and viewed on the left. So you have on the left side your focused rack instrument and on the right side the sequencer edit view. This makes editing more fluid and smoother imo
I don't think VSTs could ever work in the rack. They're all different sizes, so the scaling would vary from plugin to plugin. Unless they had scroll bars in the rack - which would just look/feel terrible!

Like I said I know it's not a popular opinion with all! But if the rack is still there and functions as it currently does, then you wouldn't have to use the pop-outs. But I'd imagine for literally anyone else coming at this from another DAW, they'd appreciate having the option. I love the rack, for sure! But I think when you're working on big projects, *having* to go there to make simple changes can feel like hard work only because there are so many panels on the screen. I mean you can minimise them sure but then you're forever folding and unfolding.

I dunno. Like I said, the chances of this happening are probably quite slim! I'm just thinking out loud about what I, personally, would do, at some point in the future :)

owlymane

22 Jul 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
22 Jul 2019

I don't think VSTs could ever work in the rack. They're all different sizes, so the scaling would vary from plugin to plugin. Unless they had scroll bars in the rack - which would just look/feel terrible!
I have no idea how they can manage to do it. There must be a way to adjust a fixed scaling for larger than/smaller than algorithm that could also be customized? It would still look different but also original..maybe? :D
chimp_spanner wrote:
22 Jul 2019
But I think when you're working on big projects, *having* to go there to make simple changes can feel like hard work only because there are so many panels on the screen. I mean you can minimise them sure but then you're forever folding and unfolding.
What you mentioned about having complete control inside the sequencer is something I've been asking for years! That would be great not only to new-comers but also for productivity overall. Regarding it's interaction with the Rack mode in reason, I don't think new-comers would mind a sense of difference and uniqueness in the DAW. It would be dull to kinda move from a DAW to another and just works the same, particularly for the Rack and its interaction with the sequencer. But having a complete, professional sequencer they can relate to, that has complete control independent from the rack, I'm all with that! :thumbs_up: :clap:
chimp_spanner wrote:
22 Jul 2019
I dunno. Like I said, the chances of this happening are probably quite slim! I'm just thinking out loud about what I, personally, would do, at some point in the future :)
Welcome to my world! :lol:

chimp_spanner

22 Jul 2019

Yeah I mean I think given the slightly rocky road to getting to a good place (in terms of performance and overall stability), overcomplicating things with scaling algorithms and mucking with the GUIs of VSTs would just be asking for trouble. I mean a VST has to look how it looks. If it's twice the width of the rack there's absolutely no way to squeeze it into it without either scrolling, or just scaling down. And some of us already struggle a bit with text/control size ;)

I do kinda get you on the uniqueness thing - I like using Reason for that exact...reason :lol: But at the same time, I don't think most other DAWs look/work the same way because they're unoriginal. It's just a design that works well. Even Reason's design is fundamentally the same when you're in the sequencer. All that's really different is that you have to go somewhere else to make changes to the front/back of the rack.

For now I just try to keep my projects as organised as I can right from the start. Colour coding things as I go and making sure the orders all match up in the three views, using spacer racks and separate columns to divide things up into smaller chunks that are easier on the eyes. I'm certainly getting work done with it. Like...a LOT of work haha.

• Information