What features are REALLY necessary for Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chaosroyale

09 Jun 2019

Then use Reason 5 or whatever. It will still work. Don't cripple Reason 11 because of some hypothetical edge case.

Reason is already ridiculously backwards-compatible (i.e. can play old files all the way back to R1 - this is overkill)

Some of you seem to want it to be forwards-compatible as well (i.e. files from future versions will play on older versions)

Just use an old version if that's what you want.
PeterP wrote:
09 Jun 2019

Hypothetical situation:

That album you released 10 years ago is now up for an anniversary release. Wouldn't it be fun to open up the old projects and do some remixes or freshen up the arrangements a bit?

PeterP

09 Jun 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
09 Jun 2019
Then use Reason 5 or whatever. It will still work. Don't cripple Reason 11 because of some hypothetical edge case.

Reason is already ridiculously backwards-compatible (i.e. can play old files all the way back to R1 - this is overkill)

Some of you seem to want it to be forwards-compatible as well (i.e. files from future versions will play on older versions)

Just use an old version if that's what you want.
PeterP wrote:
09 Jun 2019

Hypothetical situation:

That album you released 10 years ago is now up for an anniversary release. Wouldn't it be fun to open up the old projects and do some remixes or freshen up the arrangements a bit?
On Windows yes. Doubt Reason 5 will work on latest macOS.

I don't buy the bullshit about it crippling any future development. They've extended devices before, they can do it again if they wanted to.

Oquasec

09 Jun 2019

I think you can use new refills in Reason 5 if they use Reason 5 devices?...
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

guitfnky

09 Jun 2019

people are really arguing against backwards compatibility? that’s...interesting...
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

estuary

09 Jun 2019

I think we all have specific and different needs depending on what we do exactly with our "music production"

Reason is fine for me now, but the priority is rework the interface,
There is not so much improvement since long time now and I feel it's getting a bit messy and laggy (even with i7 and 32G ram / low resolution + change color profile)
I am satisfied with audio performance (especially since last update) but interface remains laggy, if you scroll while playing or just resize the window. It's little annoying sometimes.
Rack, instruments etc ... have great design usually something creative, but sometimes I wish I can just have flat / minimalist design. It's enough. (and maybe better for performances ?) Well, I am really not sure it's possible anyway ... :lol:
Also add more customizations concerning the windows (for example size lock / shortcut / mixer on the bottom)

ahh and yes I just remember now.
I hope that we can set a value on any knob/fader not only drag with mouse. Even if we set "precise" on settings menu it's impossible to set some value on fader/knob, it's just jumping from "-4.65" to "-4.02" "-3.29" etc.
I hope we can just double-click and enter value !

Boombastix
Competition Winner

09 Jun 2019

estuary wrote:
09 Jun 2019
I am satisfied with audio performance (especially since last update) but interface remains laggy, if you scroll while playing or just resize the window. It's little annoying sometimes.
I have noticed that the play head (the moving vertical line) in the sequencer is NOT latency compensated, so that may also contribute to what seems to be that something is off (it actually moves ahead of the sound output). I haven't checked if this is the case with older versions of Reason or if it was introduced in 10.3.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Creativemind

09 Jun 2019

Those wooden edges of the rack could do with being resanded a bit nicer and revarnished.

:-)
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

chaosroyale

09 Jun 2019

Well, strictly speaking I'm arguing against forwards compatibility. Reason is highly backwards compatible already. But I'd be happy to lose -for example- the R1 Subtractor and replace it with a Subtractor2 based on the latest RE tech, even if the patches would no longer load in older versions of Reason.
guitfnky wrote:
09 Jun 2019
people are really arguing against backwards compatibility? that’s...interesting...

reddust

09 Jun 2019

ShawnG wrote:
08 Jun 2019
Ctrl K, at least it has been since reason 4, I think it was ctrl U before that, but that's before my use of the program.
thanks, I'll check that. I hope it works, couldn't find this info anywhere on the software :thumbs_up:

zoidkirb

09 Jun 2019

Simple solution for the backwards compatibility thing if they ever update some of the stock devices: allow users to access the older versions as 'legacy devices' if needed. I don't see why adding features to devices HAS to break compatibility. An over sampling mode and a new filter option for Subtractor, warp modes for NNXT, more patterns for Drum Sequencer etc etc would make a lot of users very happy.

jam-s

09 Jun 2019

PeterP wrote:
09 Jun 2019
I don't buy the bullshit about it crippling any future development. They've extended devices before, they can do it again if they wanted to.
This. It's really not that hard to only extend your code/classes with new functionality. I guess the hard work that's holding Reason back right now is that all legacy devices will have to be ported to the RE format before we can expect a HiDPI or scaleable rack version of Reason.

guitfnky

09 Jun 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
09 Jun 2019
Well, strictly speaking I'm arguing against forwards compatibility. Reason is highly backwards compatible already. But I'd be happy to lose -for example- the R1 Subtractor and replace it with a Subtractor2 based on the latest RE tech, even if the patches would no longer load in older versions of Reason.
guitfnky wrote:
09 Jun 2019
but you’re against whatever it is you’re against based on a supposition, and the supposition is based on what, exactly? not trying to be cute here—I just don’t get it.

chaosroyale

10 Jun 2019

Hey no problem.

I was replying to the people on this forum in various threads who talk about things like "props should make the new SDK/devices usable with older versions of Reason" (I don't think Props would adopt such a suicidal business strategy). I was trying to point out that Reason is already more "backwards" compatible and future-conscious than most software, almost to a fault. I would personally prefer a less conservative approach, that's all.

However, I don't second-guess prop's direction for development and have often posted to that effect. They are gonna do whatever they are gonna do, and it is pointless to make wild speculations about "when will R11 come out" etc
guitfnky wrote:
09 Jun 2019
chaosroyale wrote:
09 Jun 2019

but you’re against whatever it is you’re against based on a supposition, and the supposition is based on what, exactly? not trying to be cute here—I just don’t get it.

guitfnky

10 Jun 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
10 Jun 2019
Hey no problem.

I was replying to the people on this forum in various threads who talk about things like "props should make the new SDK/devices usable with older versions of Reason" (I don't think Props would adopt such a suicidal business strategy). I was trying to point out that Reason is already more "backwards" compatible and future-conscious than most software, almost to a fault. I would personally prefer a less conservative approach, that's all.

However, I don't second-guess prop's direction for development and have often posted to that effect. They are gonna do whatever they are gonna do, and it is pointless to make wild speculations about "when will R11 come out" etc
guitfnky wrote:
09 Jun 2019

ah, gotcha, thanks for clarifying. makes more sense to me now. I agree it’d be silly of them to port newer devices/functionality back into earlier Reason versions—not exactly a wise way to spend their time, IMO.

chaosroyale

10 Jun 2019

I think Jam-s actually agrees with the gist of what I was saying but has misread me a little.

PeterP:As far as I know (and correct me if I am wrong here, this isn't an attempt to score points), Props have never overhauled the functionality of ANY of their core devices except the RV7000. The only other one was Octorex, but that was a new device (not 100% compatible with REX), which is precisely my point - sometimes it is worth abandoning the old way in favor of the new. I don't really think anyone on this forum could "cripple future development" - I meant that as a general principle extremely conservative approaches to future-proofing are not good. On the other hand, Europa -which received an update- is a new RE, another new technology that is not useable with any older versions of Reason, and this brings me to the second point.

Jam-s is absolutely right that any of the older devices would need to be ported over to RE and updated, which will use different file extensions and therefore not be 100% compatible. I am in favor of this.

The question is, will Props actually do this for Thor, NN-XT or Subtractor.
jam-s wrote:
09 Jun 2019
PeterP wrote:
09 Jun 2019
This. It's really not that hard to only extend your code/classes with new functionality. I guess the hard work that's holding Reason back right now is that all legacy devices will have to be ported to the RE format before we can expect a HiDPI or scaleable rack version of Reason.

Popey
Competition Winner

10 Jun 2019

For me personally i would like to see better vst integration. I have had vsts that work while trialling but now do not work at all and show up as crashed. Added to that you have things like output arcade where automation doesnt work (although output customer service has been very positive even if they presently are speaking to props to try and rectify this). I struggle to understand why their are so many issues with some vsts but appreciate vst integration is quite new in reason. A few months ago i would have wanted freeze tracks but since 10.4 i no longer require this so much. Other than that perhaps piano roll improvements to show specific scales would be good.

jam-s

10 Jun 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
10 Jun 2019
I think Jam-s actually agrees with the gist of what I was saying but has misread me a little.
I can see the challenges that the Props have to overcome, but I suppose they'll manage. (This will most likely take longer than we'd wish for). To keep backwards compatibility does increase this workload but it does not categorically block the move ahead. The way I could see the props handle the move to an all RE-based system would be to have the devices refreshed one by one just like the RV7000 got its MK2 update.

Oberlai

11 Jun 2019

Concerning backwards compatibility, I feel they've done things quite future-proof, as well as you can expect anyway. I'd think the Combinator and most other devices can be expanded easily while keeping backwards compatibility. I do love being able to open old projects without any error at all. Except missing refills of course...

Oberlai

11 Jun 2019

djadalaide wrote:
07 Jun 2019
Oberlai wrote:
07 Jun 2019
I want a new Combinator that lets me modulate any parameter in a device, you know, more inputs. I don't want to automate, I want to modulate. And I honestly think Reason should have a better/dedicated CV generator.
This ^

And.. if they could make some sort of retro-device (like a player) that fits on top of any device that can add additional cv ins based upon the front panel switches (ala how combinator works), that would be hella useful.
Yes! When the Mix Channel Device (which is on top of each instrument) came along I was SO sure that I could use it to modulate the device itself, because that would mean some extra inputs, but no..... it's just for insert fx. Which is great too, but that didn't really ADD anything, just a small convenience. How about a modulation matrix like in Thor that I can stick on top of any device. Or expand the Mix Channel Device to be applicable to the device itself, for more inputs and modulation options. This way you wouldn't have to mess with the old devices, which won't happen anyway.

Sometimes I wish I'd have the balls to switch to Bitwig because it has completely endless modulation options everywhere, but I don't have the time to learn a new DAW these days..

chimp_spanner

13 Jun 2019

Oberlai wrote:
11 Jun 2019
djadalaide wrote:
07 Jun 2019

This ^

And.. if they could make some sort of retro-device (like a player) that fits on top of any device that can add additional cv ins based upon the front panel switches (ala how combinator works), that would be hella useful.
Yes! When the Mix Channel Device (which is on top of each instrument) came along I was SO sure that I could use it to modulate the device itself, because that would mean some extra inputs, but no..... it's just for insert fx. Which is great too, but that didn't really ADD anything, just a small convenience. How about a modulation matrix like in Thor that I can stick on top of any device. Or expand the Mix Channel Device to be applicable to the device itself, for more inputs and modulation options. This way you wouldn't have to mess with the old devices, which won't happen anyway.

Sometimes I wish I'd have the balls to switch to Bitwig because it has completely endless modulation options everywhere, but I don't have the time to learn a new DAW these days..
It’s a bit of a janky workaround but you can put instruments in the insert slot and then all its parameters are available from the mix channel programmer. But I know that’s not really ideal. Just a suggestion though!

manisnotabird

13 Jun 2019

Something along the lines of Komplete Kontrol, Analog Lab, ADSR Sample Manger, Loopcloud, etc. The ability to find all kick drums no matter where on your hard drive they are. The ability to quickly switch between different synth bass patches even if they're from different synths, etc.

Jagwah

13 Jun 2019

djadalaide wrote:
07 Jun 2019
Have you tried these: https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... rol-board/ Just lacking the Combinator Matrix.
Sounds like it might be similar to what what you are after, there's others with more controllers and there is a black version of them as well, all free thanks to the late Hakan Muller.

reggie1979

13 Jun 2019

manisnotabird wrote:
13 Jun 2019
Something along the lines of Komplete Kontrol, Analog Lab, ADSR Sample Manger, Loopcloud, etc. The ability to find all kick drums no matter where on your hard drive they are. The ability to quickly switch between different synth bass patches even if they're from different synths, etc.
I have no clue, but I love your avatar!

djadalaide

14 Jun 2019

Jagwah wrote:
13 Jun 2019
djadalaide wrote:
07 Jun 2019
Have you tried these: https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... rol-board/ Just lacking the Combinator Matrix.
Sounds like it might be similar to what what you are after, there's others with more controllers and there is a black version of them as well, all free thanks to the late Hakan Muller.
I have tried it, yes its really good. I did buy a few before they were released for free.

I've been thinking, maybe there is a way of using a midi loopback to control normally inaccessible parameters.

chimp_spanner

14 Jun 2019

Going back a few posts, I think the issue of backwards compatibility is an interesting one. As I've mentioned before, I've been a Cubase user since almost the very beginning (version 2 or so on the Atari). Then it transitioned to Cubase VST, then SX, and now just Cubase. At each of those points compatibility was somewhat broken - I mean I'm fairly certain it's hard, if not impossible, to load a Cubase VST project into Cubase Pro 10. At least not without some major headaches.

So the fact that Reason 10.4 will open Reason 1 projects like it's no big thing *is* kind of amazing. But if, hypothetically, Reason 11 or 12 was a HUGE paradigm shift that required me to keep 10 installed in order to load my projects and prepare them for transfer to a new version...I think I'd be okay with it. I'm not necessarily saying it *needs* to happen. I mean I'm struggling to think how different things could really be. The only thing I can imagine changing significantly is the sequencer. That's where most of my wants/needs are. The rack is the rack and I'm pretty happy with how that works. The mixer could probably do with some love as well (themes, channel presets, etc.). But yeah, sequencer is where it's at for me.

Folders
Crossfades
Automation curve handles
MIDI note chase
MIDI note preview on arrow nudging/selecting
Expanded toolset (parabolic and LFO style line drawing in velocity lane, "tilt" handles for selected velocities)
More/custom colours
Option to snap recorded events to current grid resolution rather than keeping relative offset (even though it is useful at times)
Adding all F8 functions to menu items

Beyond that, a new browser is a must. Quicker, indexed searching. Racks tagged and filterable by category and type; not just developer. I also think a great idea would be to make the left pane multi-function. So the browser and file system could be in one tab. Track controls in another. This could incorporate ReGroove like functions and realtime MIDI transformation such as transposition.

And...custom keyboard shortcuts!

Oh and right click a samples -> send to NN/Grain/any device with sample loading

The wishlist grows every day haha. But I'd settle for the first 5 or 6 ;)

• Information