What features are REALLY necessary for Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Karim
Competition Winner

12 Jan 2019

selig wrote:
Karim wrote:
09 Jan 2019
OMG AT LAST!Thanks God somebody suggests this! Is my first feature ever.
I need to work with mixes and singers or clients mixes and every version cost me gigabytes ( at least 14-15 in last session with all version saved)
is a pain in the A*S! :!:
There is another solution, which I've been suggesting since RECORD came out, and it's based on the fact it's unlikely the Props will abandon the "all in one file" approach: VERSIONS.

All they need to do is provide a way to save mix versions as a part of the song file and you're good to go. And like audio files, mix versions could be exported so you would always have access to the individual files along the way.

There's a few other things they would need do add to make it work perfectly, and that is export/import of audio clips for processing outside of Reason (for noise reduction, polyphonic melodyne, etc), plus the ability to import song data from one song without opening both and doing the copy/paste dance. The latter would allow you to import the channel settings (or just the channel EQ, for example), inserts, FX chains, etc., to the current song without having to open the other song files. There are probably a few other issues to be dealt with to make this workflow seamless, and at one level I would prefer this to having to keep track of separate audio files.

IMO, one or the other is a MUST. I just happen to believe "versions" is more likely (and more useful) to happen in keeping with the existing Reason paradigm, as it keeps all your files in one place (while still allowing you access to separate files).
:)
+1000 ! I think that Studio One has that feature! Brilliant!

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Aktivistmusik

21 May 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
11 Jan 2019
Selig's solution solves the problem of large/separate audio files AND having different versions, in an efficient way. The large audio file has to be stored somewhere, the only problem is that you end up with multiple copies of it every time you save a new version of your mix. The actual reason files are tiny in comparison.

A system where you have -for example- up to 10 "slots" in a single reason file for saving all of the non-audio data would solve this and allow you to have your instrument only mix as one "version" or have 2 slightly different mixes for CD/LP, or just update your work in progress without losing your older version if you want to go back, etc.
I have to resurrect this thread since some of the ideas are genius.

Seriously, if they implement this "versions" idea I would straight up attempt to quit Pro Tools altogether. With VSTs and their new bus routing options, all that's missing is this!!!
Please, Propellerhead.
Pleeeeeeaaassseeee!!!!!!!!

Oh and maybe an export to MP3 option. Sending mix versions to clients are almost always mp3s these days.
Oh and maybe an FX return mix channel option?
Ok we'll start with those. :lol:

reggie1979

21 May 2019

Kong overhaul!

Faastwalker

21 May 2019

Freeze tracks would be nice. I never seem to have a huge amount of tracks going on. But a couple of RE's still bring my machine to its knees. So in the absence of a mammoth new system (is on the horizon) I struggle a bit.

Combinator 2 - Long overdue. I'm hoping it's because Propellerhead are doing something crazy with it. I've got some ideas about what I would love to see. They are a bit ambitious, but I think the Props could pull it off ;)

dezma

22 May 2019

1. A working find missing samples function at song load.. I mean it runs for hours finding nothing what's the point. Absolute garbage
2. Playing loops in sync. Ableton does it since ages.
3. Being able to automate complex synths without workarounds (avenger needs to be in combinator to automate)
4. Midi VST
5. Audio drag n drop to VST
6. Folder groups in sequencer
7. Curved automation and automation workflow improvements

Lokey

24 May 2019

I already said what i would want in another thread (new logo rework = alien light green and all squares corners in circle that will be way less aggro THANK YOU poor little image consciousness ppl) , some midi improvments
BUT if I had to pick one thing is some real Native Player Device as it s seems their Flagship produce that could compete as exlkusive feature alongside ableton Loops and FL (up to infinite) Patterns grids , (kompulsion should have been native and i didnt bought it but it should become native at least) ( drum player is so limited , just a poor limited version of Panda stuff isnt it)
Last edited by Lokey on 24 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.
fl mobile

selig
RE Developer

24 May 2019

Karim wrote:
12 Jan 2019
selig wrote: …IMO, one or the other is a MUST. I just happen to believe "versions" is more likely (and more useful) to happen in keeping with the existing Reason paradigm, as it keeps all your files in one place (while still allowing you access to separate files).
:)
+1000 ! I think that Studio One has that feature! Brilliant!

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk
Logic also added this since I first suggested it. Probably the only time I made a suggestion that was actually adopted, although not by the intended company… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

sdst
Competition Winner

26 May 2019

What features are REALLY necessary for Reason 11
I would be fine just with,
1- custom keyboard shortcuts
2- hide Mixer Tracks (REALLY necessary)
3-let me create my own skins

reddust

05 Jun 2019

I think a higher collaboration with Native Instrument so we can use NI hardware like the new Komplete Kontrol MK2 or Maschine MK3 to be able to move faders in the mixer, play, stop, record, mute or unmute (several) tracks... would be really nice, but not necessary.

What I find necessary would be MPE support and a couple of basic keyboard shortcuts, like one for quantizing notes, but this last one should really have been included in a minor update already, can't be that difficult.

praznovsky.m
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2019

1) All i want is gate in and out combo in nn-19.

Track freeze as is in studio one is my dream, but in enviroment of rack, where you could join many different tracks from many mix buses with cables it looks like something impossible to work.
I need to think possitively, so maybe if Props create another half baked version of bounce in place, that will be bounded to combinator without external routing only, then it would be possible.
2) So i want combinator 2.0 with infinity mod matrix, 8 pads, where you can choose they are buttons or knobs, and combinator freeze function.

There is a quite fresh thread on this forum with drag and drop problem with samples. I never thinked about puting samples from audio track to devices in rack, but it could be awesome. In most of my tracks i have few audio tracks, where are few bounced one shot samples repeating, but every copy of that sample is holded in .reason file separatelly, so with possibility to move that sample to sampler (i.e. upgraded nn-19) would be nice and save disk space.
3) so i want drag and drop from sequencer to rack.

But as always, i dont need anyting.

antic604

05 Jun 2019

I've been banging on about high-res GUI or proper freezing, but since I bought powerful, but 1080p laptop and since 10.3 I have but one wish - add the goddamn folders to sequencer, because I get lost with multitude of sequencer tracks created for - what's typically in other DAWs considered - single instrument! Players, instruments, effects, mixer channel all get their tracks (when automated/sequenced) even if it's all to make one sound work. That's frankly ridiculous and disastrous for managing even medium-sized sessions :(

dstreets

05 Jun 2019

Not necessary so much, but I'd really like to see the SSL console at least updated to follow the themes we already can select from in Preferences. Beyond that I'd like them to put something in that white/blank box right over the bus compressor.

Why not give us some console channel/tape simulation algorithms to select from there? I know we have VST plugin support now but hey, let's just fill that white box in with something, eh?

Oberlai

07 Jun 2019

I want a new Combinator that lets me modulate any parameter in a device, you know, more inputs. I don't want to automate, I want to modulate. And I honestly think Reason should have a better/dedicated CV generator.

djadalaide

07 Jun 2019

Oberlai wrote:
07 Jun 2019
I want a new Combinator that lets me modulate any parameter in a device, you know, more inputs. I don't want to automate, I want to modulate. And I honestly think Reason should have a better/dedicated CV generator.
This ^

And.. if they could make some sort of retro-device (like a player) that fits on top of any device that can add additional cv ins based upon the front panel switches (ala how combinator works), that would be hella useful.

boesOne

07 Jun 2019

Just saw a small vid with new automation curves and tweaking of curves in Ableton. I want that! Curve tools in the sequencer. Or can i ''print'' synchronous curves to the sequencer somehow?

Deep Schulzz

08 Jun 2019

I would like to see an improved (and polyphonic) pitch edit mode - not only for a correct voice detection but also - for example - bass tones.

Creativemind

08 Jun 2019

Oberlai wrote:
07 Jun 2019
I have a feeling an updated Combinator will be included in Reason 11 but you know, it's just a feeling. ;)
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Luxuria

08 Jun 2019

Creativemind wrote:
08 Jun 2019
Oberlai wrote:
07 Jun 2019
I have a feeling an updated Combinator will be included in Reason 11 but you know, it's just a feeling. ;)
A separate device called Combinator 2 or whatever name they want use. Their current trends of releasing devices make me think it's too difficult to upgrade them as well as maintain backwards compatibly.

If it were me, I'd scrap the backwards compatibility motto with V11. If we want to see big changes, there has to be a fork in the evolutionary chain.

And please, please, please allow combinators or Combo2's to stack inside of each other.

A feelings all you got ;)
Propellerheads still haven't changed their ways of keeping everything low key to the point of frustration.

chaosroyale

08 Jun 2019

This x100. It is not 2001 any more.
Luxuria wrote:
08 Jun 2019
If it were me, I'd scrap the backwards compatibility motto with V11. If we want to see big changes, there has to be a fork in the evolutionary chain.

jlgrimes

08 Jun 2019

Luxuria wrote:
08 Jun 2019
Creativemind wrote:
08 Jun 2019

Ableton's way of dealing with this is by having old projects open with the old devices.

The old devices have a upgrade button on them allowing you to upgrade to the new devices if desired.

It is nice because that way you can still use the old devices as they still might have some features the new one might not have such as the compressor.

That said with 10.1 they changed the sound of the delay plugin (even on the old device) and folks are upset their projects aren't sounding the same.

jam-s

08 Jun 2019

Luxuria wrote:
08 Jun 2019
Good thing the decision on the roadmap of Reason is not yours to make.

ShawnG

08 Jun 2019

reddust wrote:
05 Jun 2019
...a couple of basic keyboard shortcuts, like one for quantizing notes, but this last one should really have been included in a minor update already, can't be that difficult.
Ctrl K, at least it has been since reason 4, I think it was ctrl U before that, but that's before my use of the program.

Luxuria

08 Jun 2019

jam-s wrote:
08 Jun 2019
Luxuria wrote:
08 Jun 2019
Good thing the decision on the roadmap of Reason is not yours to make.
May I ask why backwards compatibility is important to you? I'm guessing you use an older version of reason or have a lot of older reason files. If so, why not have multiple versions of Reason installed? A big opposing argument to BC is it stifles innovation and flexibility for dynamic growth.

If they were serious about backwards compatibility, they would have settled a deal for the Line6 devices to stay on Reason. They would have update their shop to sell different versions of Rack extensions: ones for users on versions that only support SDK 1, SDK 2, and the newest SDK 3. They won't even let developers build RE's on SDK 1 or 2 anymore. Users on older versions can't buy RE's on sale now for later use when they upgrade, they block users completely from buying them until they upgrade to 10. They could give a warning about how your version doesn't support that RE, but to completely prevent a sale is a bit extreme.

I don't know if what another user states is true about the delay device producing different results with an update, but it shows that the promise isn't upheld to a high enough standard.

I don't have a VHS player laying around anymore just like I don't have Reason 1 files laying around anymore. I ported the videos/files up or bought the new version of the same product.

ShawnG

08 Jun 2019

Not that I'm opposed to backwards compatibility being a desired thing, I will say that if you've got an unfinished Reason 1 song from 2001, pretty sure its gonna stay unfinished... if it hasn't happened yet, it wasn't meant to be. In fact I would go so far as to advise that person, whoever it might be, to go ahead and delete that project intentionally. Data liberation baby!

I had my music drive crash a few years ago. I was sad at the loss of many semi projects, but it was freeing at the same time, they are no longer holding me back.

PeterP

09 Jun 2019

Luxuria wrote:
08 Jun 2019
May I ask why backwards compatibility is important to you?
Hypothetical situation:

That album you released 10 years ago is now up for an anniversary release. Wouldn't it be fun to open up the old projects and do some remixes or freshen up the arrangements a bit?

• Information