What features are REALLY necessary for Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
calebbrennan

26 Aug 2018

Display is a real issue, I would love to project on my living room Wall with high resolution.
I saw some DJ like Diplo of Calvin have this set up on a video,.

Maybe I need to buy a projector?

In the mean time I make my 22 in monitor work

calebbrennan

26 Aug 2018

Will increased Gui display be a ram hog? Is that why props won't do it? Hmm

Search Engine Needs work, missing refills files I've found but I had to do 20 min search

We don't need more synths. Agreed.But New Europa and Grain patches welcome

Slice edit needs a percentile parameter like it's predecessor.

Text entry of Amount would be helpful for incremental edits

future-bit

26 Aug 2018

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 2 times in total.

nooomy

26 Aug 2018

A new euro rack rack extension with cabels on the front :D wouldn't that be cool?

Oquasec

26 Aug 2018

...Oh yeah what stopped propeller-head from doing the front facing cables was that just for aesthetics?
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

chaosroyale

26 Aug 2018

Cables on the back was one of the cleverest things that Props ever did. It is the best compromise between modularity and usability for a DAW which can be used for any kind of project, not only as a modular synth. If the cables were on the front, none of my projects would be usable because of all the spaghetti.

Also, this thread has turned into "requests for extreme customization", not "what is really necessary". I think the poll about "choose the 2 most necessary features" explains what is REALLY necessary much better.

tl,dr; Hi-res UI, combinator update are the 2 top choices.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7507823&p=404144&hilit=poll#p404144

jam-s

26 Aug 2018

nooomy wrote:
26 Aug 2018
A new euro rack rack extension with cabels on the front :D wouldn't that be cool?
No it would not be. It would just be cluttered. Cables belong to the back of the rack.

Flath

26 Aug 2018

Loque wrote:
23 Aug 2018
Flath wrote:
23 Aug 2018
Different metronome settings / sounds
Maybe you like to try this:

https://shop.propellerheads.se/browse/?q=Metro
Thanks, that will do:)

Undistraction

27 Aug 2018

Oquasec wrote:
26 Aug 2018
...Oh yeah what stopped propeller-head from doing the front facing cables was that just for aesthetics?
There's some discussion on this here. I can absolutely see why they chose to have cables on the back, but it has resulted in them missing the boat when it comes to virtualised Eurorack modules which is a real shame. TLDR, those cables are effectively the interface, and need to be on the front for that paradigm to work. Cables on the back just don't cut it. Obviously you can still do modular in Reason, but it's pretty clunky. Definitely take a look at VCV and Softube modular if you want this kind of thing. I still think there is room for Reason to go down this path, but I get the impression Propellerhead aren't interested in this direction.

antic604

27 Aug 2018

Undistraction wrote:
27 Aug 2018
I still think there is room for Reason to go down this path, but I get the impression Propellerhead aren't interested in this direction.
...which is weird, considering that since v10 there's an Eurorack case in their promotional materials :)

Anyway, I think cabling on the back has 2 benefits: 1) clarity to the interface, since a lot of knobs/buttons are very small anyway it would be nearly impossible to use them with cables up front, 2) simplicity, ie. many users don't ever touch them relying on just the default patching.

Regarding alternatives, there's a new kid in town in addition to VCV, Modular and Reaktor - Voltage Modular

Undistraction

27 Aug 2018

antic604 wrote:
27 Aug 2018
Undistraction wrote:
27 Aug 2018
I still think there is room for Reason to go down this path, but I get the impression Propellerhead aren't interested in this direction.
...which is weird, considering that since v10 there's an Eurorack case in their promotional materials :)

Anyway, I think cabling on the back has 2 benefits: 1) clarity to the interface, since a lot of knobs/buttons are very small anyway it would be nearly impossible to use them with cables up front, 2) simplicity, ie. many users don't ever touch them relying on just the default patching.

Regarding alternatives, there's a new kid in town in addition to VCV, Modular and Reaktor - Voltage Modular
I think they like to say they are into modular for the marketing juice but they don't really do anything to show it. Those Noise Engineering REs are outstanding though and hopefully sold a load, and that might turn the tide of ambivolence. The cables in the front thing is undoubtedly a total mess, but If that would bring modular Devs on board I'll put up with it. We have definitely reached synth saturation.

Arrant
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2018

Would be delighted if we get:

- rack zoom!
- better editing of automation curves and audio tracks
- text readout of peak levels per track in the ssl mixer

botnotbot

29 Aug 2018

antic604 wrote:
27 Aug 2018
Undistraction wrote:
27 Aug 2018
I always took that as how Reason is just another instrument on your desk, just like that Eurorack... but with a smaller footprint (in every possible dimension).

I also believe that they are sending marketing subliminals, or at least I was led to believe that they often put hints at future updates in their marketing materials.

So then it's less about the eurorack nature of that box and more about being a visual standin for the Reason rack (or... combinators?) so that it can be juxtaposed with weird geometrical sculptures in some (presumably) sinister, user-hating occult ritual pattern designed to sacrifice user dreams for the sake of ... something. Evil! Yes, evil.

Or: Combinator 2.0 is the same trick as Combinator 1.0 -- put the existing Reason into a sub-rackable format.

Doing this solves group/folder tracks immediately be letting you organize according to your whims.

But you absolutely cannot do that without serious DSP improvements. It is possible, the latest techniques have already landed into Studio One and Bitwig allowing a lot more performance to be squeezed out of the same hardware. Logic has had this for a long time. Synchronizing 'pre-rendered' tracks in a world of CV.. Hell, even audio rate CV itself.

But wait! it would also require graphical updates. We at least need some way to make 'Rack-fronts' for these new Mega Combinators. And how do we route all these 'sub-sequencers' and display them coherently. Players are seemingly perfect for this kind of 'Rack-fronts' modularity and control. But you can't make them too complex until you can update the whole graphics engine as the current refresh-rates are stuck on supporting the oldest pieces of the (code) of the rack.

And if you launch a graphics stack change without taking care of your performance issues, you may lose a lot of faith from your user community.

Which is why 10 is going to be the biggest Reason version ever.

ltbrunt00

30 Aug 2018

With the workflow improvements I am pretty content with reason 10 right now also trying to save some money so hopefully Reason 11 gets pushed to March/April 2019.

Other than VST performance anything else coming to the DAW is a bonus.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

4filegate

31 Aug 2018

ltbrunt00 wrote:
30 Aug 2018
Other than VST performance anything else coming to the DAW is a bonus.
GRYPHON AUDIO DESIGNS - Exorcist "where they could do audible and visible radiant smile"

baloo

31 Aug 2018

Macbook Pro TouchBar support with some shortcuts GUI elements (play/stop/record/etc buttons)
Its very easy to add to New version as addition to Mac version

NSTouchBar is API for Apple SDK.
https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... nstouchbar

Octopusbird

18 Nov 2018

FREEZE TRACK

We're getting better with these vsts and we need more power :D

It has to be the biggest most obvious thing it's missing when comparing to other DAWs

kuhliloach

18 Nov 2018

As the modular space keeps heating up with applications like VCV Rack it seems appropriate that Reason would capitalize on its rack-based roots with a native Eurorack style feature. This would be especially cool if Reason could finally have a hi-res scalable UI after all these years of lo-res suffering. Finally a redesigned data-driven Browser that is user-friendly is extremely important. The behavior of the current Browser is literally dumbfounding. I feel these items plus the already-discussed VST optimizations would be enough to make Reason 11 a worthy upgrade.

Creativemind

18 Nov 2018

Undistraction wrote:
21 Jun 2018
I would love to be able to copy a clip to multiple places and by editing one clip, edit all the copies.
That's similar to a feature I've wanted in Reason for ages. Cloning Clips. It's brilliant. The ability to make a cloned copy of an audio or midi clip. It remembers the label of the clip, the colour of the clip and any audio or midi data contained within the clip. Then if you change any of those 3 elements in a clip, all of the pasted cloned copies change accordingly. It's so damn handy and useful as you don't have to then delete the other clips and repaste and remember where they all go which sometimes is tricky. Once you've used it, it does feel very prehistoric to go back to the old unique copy and paste method.

That and an Undo Events List which is searchable and customisable (in other words, it has a list of things it can undo which can be unchecked as I personally think Reason wastes undo's on things like colouring clips / tracks, moving the L/R locators etc which I don't want).

Those 2 things plus Sync Browsers and Windows on the fly, Left Click and Drag Mouse up or down (or left / right on the mixer) over the Mute or Solo buttons on the sequencer and same in the Mixer (Rack probably too tricky) to Mute / Solo, Stackable Time Markers with the ability to jump to sections or markings somehow, Manual Parameter Inputs and being able to Copy and Paste values, Macros, Tab to Label Next Track and Labelling the track automatically labels the clip.

Those 11 features which can't be too hard to implement would seriously speed the workflow of Reason up

Also a good dozen midi editing features and Bounce To Mono, Tempo Detect, Fit to Tempo, Punch In/Out, More Fade In / Out options and Audio File Info for audio.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

zoidkirb

18 Nov 2018

Reason newbie here. I'm voming over from cubase and ableton to Reason 10 specifically for the rack - it's modularity, synths and fx. 4k support would be nice, but I find myself often needing to rely on Windows zoom even at 1080p on a 24 inch display. It seems actually insane that the most visual of all DAWs is relegated to this small non scaleable look.

I'm possibly in the minority here but I'd welcome more devices, in the end it was Europa, Grain, Thor, Drum Sequencer, Synchronous, that factored into my purchase. As a Rewire user I'm here for the sounds, devices, and the creative modulation options.

scratchnsnifff

19 Nov 2018

For synth features I think 11 should have the final touches to Europa even if it’s just user samples in all 3 engines, FM between oscillators, and a traditional bend + and - modes (it would be a perfect synth in my opinion and wouldn’t need anything else)

As for features
Combinator update, while that’s my most needed object. I could do with a graphics update. But if they do a graphics update I think it would be fitting to add a few features to Thor or other devices, or include a new suite of effects

Not just effects or just a graphics update

I feel like they could soften the blowback from the loud users, by having a more spread out update for example have some new filters, a distortion, mastering tools like OTT, a new EQ with reference l

Hmm what else could be fun
Or they could do graphics and automation
A GUI update, but also add curves. And maybe some ratio editing when dealing with automation points.

(5:1) would select every 5th automation point and let you adjust how much of a value it can rise to.

Or let you select velocity and have a mode where you can have a curve in the velocity steps, good for drum rolls and it can be done currently but there is definitely technology that lets an algorithm take care of settings like this

Automation shape saving.
A folder where you can store basic shapes as well as preset shapes. Kind of like Europa but it would let you have user shapes in the form of midi clips. And would appear on the left side of the browser. An area for midi tools

There’s not too much I personally need feature wise, I mainly want new and more modern forms of advanced synthesis

Resynthisis being my main want, or a mega all in one synth that has everything thought out all in one release, idc if it took forever to release, I’d like to see a synth that has no need for additions. So it would cover FM, subtractive, additive, samples, phase and spectral modifiers, MSEGs, filters and all the workflow options inbetween like right click to copy and paste settings
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

chimp_spanner

19 Nov 2018

kuhliloach wrote:
18 Nov 2018
As the modular space keeps heating up with applications like VCV Rack it seems appropriate that Reason would capitalize on its rack-based roots with a native Eurorack style feature. This would be especially cool if Reason could finally have a hi-res scalable UI after all these years of lo-res suffering. Finally a redesigned data-driven Browser that is user-friendly is extremely important. The behavior of the current Browser is literally dumbfounding. I feel these items plus the already-discussed VST optimizations would be enough to make Reason 11 a worthy upgrade.
I think the only thing really stopping that from happening is the resolution of CV. Someone - I forget who - mentioned that CV modulation rates are linked to sample rate? Is that right? I might be mis-remembering. Either way, for Reason to be truly modular CV would have to be able to do audio rate modulation across the rack, and given the performance issues some are having I'm not sure that's wise. I don't know if you could get into VCV territory using CV as it currently exists. I could be wrong though!

pongasoft
RE Developer

19 Nov 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
19 Nov 2018
I think the only thing really stopping that from happening is the resolution of CV. Someone - I forget who - mentioned that CV modulation rates are linked to sample rate? Is that right? I might be mis-remembering. Either way, for Reason to be truly modular CV would have to be able to do audio rate modulation across the rack, and given the performance issues some are having I'm not sure that's wise. I don't know if you could get into VCV territory using CV as it currently exists. I could be wrong though!
The way CV works is that there is only 1 value per processing frame. A processing frame is a fixed 64 samples irrelevant of the frame rate. Because of these constraints, the CV modulation rate varies with the frame rate... at 44100, you get ~689 CV values per seconds. At 48000 you get 750.

Yan

selig
RE Developer

19 Nov 2018

chimp_spanner wrote: I think the only thing really stopping that from happening is the resolution of CV. Someone - I forget who - mentioned that CV modulation rates are linked to sample rate? Is that right? I might be mis-remembering. Either way, for Reason to be truly modular CV would have to be able to do audio rate modulation across the rack, and given the performance issues some are having I'm not sure that's wise. I don't know if you could get into VCV territory using CV as it currently exists. I could be wrong though!
Plenty of devices, beginning with Pulveriser IIRC, have audio rate control I/O, so this is not at all a limitation.

For CV, at least as I understand it, the limitation is the batch delay between devices which is the equivalent to audio latency in the mixer. If it was possible to introduce latency compensation at the CV level (and I’m not at all sure that it is), this would solve the issue.

Someone more knowledgeable than myself my be able to correct my comments or explain it more clearly.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

adfielding

19 Nov 2018

The only things I'd love to see from Reason right now are performance enhancements, selectable MIDI channels per note lane, and a HiDPI interface upgrade. I'm still using a 1920 x 1080 monitor so the latter is more of a future-proofing thing for me, and the former is something that's being worked on. There's not a lot I can't do with Reason right now, so I'm all about those core upgrades :)

• Information