What features are REALLY necessary for Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Propellerhead's music software. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Post Reply
songsmite
Posts: 4
Joined: 06 Dec 2017

01 Jul 2018

Still on 9.5 because I already have more than enough instruments and samples of my own. What I want most for paid update is features and settings/preferences!

preferences
-return to start on stop
-remember rack cables setting ("k")
-authorize more than one computer (2 - laptop and home) for quicker launches
-scroll playback override

features
- sample database building + improved locate missing samples
- name patterns in pattern sequencers
- sync-mode for pattern sequencers to slave to one player
- time signatures for Blocks

new modules
- recycle module
- rebirth 3.0 module

Arranger
- mute individual notes in sequencer
- transpose parts from Arranger (midi parts)
- zoom when drag up/down on timeline bar (similar to cubase)
- edit multiple parts at once (like sonar/cubase)

GUI + Workflow
- improve layout of Arranger
- improve sense of zooming and scrolling so that notes are centered and on screen
- improve workflow when using a touch screen

plus many of the other great workflow suggestions in this thread.

NO new sound modules! (except recycle or rebirth type ones)

jimmyklane
Posts: 733
Joined: 16 Apr 2018

01 Jul 2018

POLYPHONIC AFTERTOUCH
DAW: Reason 10,

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

User avatar
napynap
Posts: 28
Joined: 08 Sep 2017
Location: Palmdale, CA
Contact:

02 Jul 2018

My main request is to be able to save all of the main mixer settings as a scene/patch like physical digital mixers have. Also, that could open the door to having other main mixers instead of the default SSL model.
visit http://www.napynap.com to learn more about me. Thank you.

EdGrip
Posts: 1223
Joined: 03 Jun 2016

02 Jul 2018

It would be great to include an up-to-date version of ReCycle in Reason (rather than Slice Edit, which is so feature-lacking as to be a workaround rather than an alternative.)
I don't think that including ReCycle in Reason would cannibalise ReCycle sales much. Any negative effect would surely be minimised by the positive effect on Reason sales - "buy ReCycle standalone for £89, or buy Reason - including ALL of the functionality of ReCycle -for £299" is a tempting offer, even if you already have a main DAW. It would certainly be a hefty selling point.

The_Grass
Posts: 17
Joined: 04 Sep 2016

03 Jul 2018

The_Grass wrote:
25 Jun 2018
That they still update 9.5 and not leave us.if you git not 11.
Excuses They updated 9.5 :oops:

User avatar
Oquasec
Posts: 1913
Joined: 05 Mar 2017

03 Jul 2018

That moment you Realize Reason 5 is the same thing as Kontakt 5 ad notice you didn't use most of the refills you owned for a long time.
Reason/FL Studio/Ableton for whenever.

User avatar
vondersulzburg
Posts: 51
Joined: 24 May 2016
Location: Stuttgart

05 Jul 2018

What would be fine is a kind of "pattern picture" when I insert a automation lane for the Drum Sequenzer.

see picture
b1.jpg
b1.jpg (192.2 KiB) Viewed 612 times
MacBook Air MID 2016 256GB SSD 8GB RAM, Reason 10, Ableton Live 9 Suite, LogicProX, Cubase 9.5

EdGrip
Posts: 1223
Joined: 03 Jun 2016

05 Jul 2018

Nice!
Following my rant the other day, I'd better add that I think REX functionality really needs looking at. ^_^
(and a keyboard shortcut for naming clips, please)

User avatar
PelTek
Posts: 9
Joined: 08 May 2017
Location: Greece

05 Jul 2018

1) Better automation more like PT, using dots is to say the least outdated
2) Crossfades and auto crossfades
3) Trim adjacent clips
4) Context sensitive multi-tool
5) Unified solos and mutes (one solo/mute for mixer and seq)
6) Channel grouping
7) Clip timestamp
8) Audio clips should have start and end boundaries
9) Clip timelock
10) Fade-crossfade curves
11) Note indication on midi values
12) Deleted parts of audio tracks should also be deleted from a session when save and optimize
13) Better VST performance
14) Multi cannel midi for samplers like Kontakt
15) Rex edit in octorex
16) Markers
17) Snap to locator, Song Position Pointer (and markers)
18) Track Freeze
19) Punch in/out
20) Export to MP3,Flac....
21) Ghost lanes

And last but not least, more regular updates!

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 471
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

05 Jul 2018

songsmite wrote:
01 Jul 2018
- time signatures for Blocks
you can already do this (unless I'm misunderstanding what you're looking for). right click the time signature in the transport section and add an automation lane. then you can draw an automation clip into any Block you want to have a different time signature than the main signature you've got set in the transport, and select the time signature you want. use this all the time (also works for tempo). it's one of my favorite features of Blocks. :)

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 6842
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

05 Jul 2018

PelTek wrote:1) Better automation more like PT, using dots is to say the least outdated
2) Crossfades and auto crossfades
3) Trim adjacent clips
4) Context sensitive multi-tool
5) Unified solos and mutes (one solo/mute for mixer and seq)
6) Channel grouping
7) Clip timestamp
8) Audio clips should have start and end boundaries
9) Clip timelock
10) Fade-crossfade curves
11) Note indication on midi values
12) Deleted parts of audio tracks should also be deleted from a session when save and optimize
13) Better VST performance
14) Multi cannel midi for samplers like Kontakt
15) Rex edit in octorex
16) Markers
17) Snap to locator, Song Position Pointer (and markers)
18) Track Freeze
19) Punch in/out
20) Export to MP3,Flac....
21) Ghost lanes

And last but not least, more regular updates!
+1 to all (almost)…
I love all of these suggestions, except #5 is impossible to do since you can’t combine two totally different functions into one just because they have the same name. I don’t know all other DAWs, but can speak for Pro Tools which has separate mute/solo for MIDI and Audio tracks. For me the issue is the way the Big Mixer (SSL) was added to the existing ecosystem, which required working this way.


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 847
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Contact:

05 Jul 2018

selig wrote:
05 Jul 2018
I love all of these suggestions, except #5 is impossible to do since you can’t combine two totally different functions into one just because they have the same name. I don’t know all other DAWs, but can speak for Pro Tools which has separate mute/solo for MIDI and Audio tracks. For me the issue is the way the Big Mixer (SSL) was added to the existing ecosystem, which required working this way.
I think by "unified" he means that currently you can mute an instrument in Rack and have its track soloed in Sequencer and you won't hear it, which leads to a lot of head scratching moments, at least at first. The other source of confusion is separate mute/solos in sequencer for dedicated effects' tracks or mixer channel - I've lost count how many times I spent 5 minutes trying to understand why something doesn't work and the reason was I simply soloed to few tracks (or muted to many)...

In every other DAW I used if you mute or solo something in one place, it's muted or soloed respectively everywhere else.
Reason 10 // Bitwig 2 // Live 10 // Studio One 4
My music: https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 6842
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

05 Jul 2018

antic604 wrote:
selig wrote:
05 Jul 2018
I love all of these suggestions, except #5 is impossible to do since you can’t combine two totally different functions into one just because they have the same name. I don’t know all other DAWs, but can speak for Pro Tools which has separate mute/solo for MIDI and Audio tracks. For me the issue is the way the Big Mixer (SSL) was added to the existing ecosystem, which required working this way.
I think by "unified" he means that currently you can mute an instrument in Rack and have its track soloed in Sequencer and you won't hear it, which leads to a lot of head scratching moments, at least at first. The other source of confusion is separate mute/solos in sequencer for dedicated effects' tracks or mixer channel - I've lost count how many times I spent 5 minutes trying to understand why something doesn't work and the reason was I simply soloed to few tracks (or muted to many)...

In every other DAW I used if you mute or solo something in one place, it's muted or soloed respectively everywhere else.
It’s the same in Reason - you mute the mix channel in the mixer, and it’s muted in the rack.

Like in Pro Tools, if you mute a MIDI track, you cannot unmute it on the audio track. They are two separate things.

There are solutions but require totally re-thinking how Reason works. But STILL, if you mute a MIDI track, there is nothing you can do to the audio Mute button that will, or SHOULD, affect the MIDI track.

Imagine using a hardware MIDI sequencer in a studio with a big mixer. If you mute a track on the MIDI sequencer, why would you expect to be able to un-mute it at the audio mixer?

That aside, it’s been mentioned many times how you can have one MIDI track that plays an instrument that feeds multiple Audio Channels (like ReDrum, Kong, NN-XT). So if you mute the MIDI track, which of the many Audio Channels would you expect to be “linked” to?

Or what if you had three MIDI tracks playing three synths all mixed together in a Combinator and feeding one Mix Channel - which MIDI track should be linked to the Mix Channel? How would you mute one of the three MIDI tracks if they were linked?

What’s cool about MIDI track muting is that you can unmute a track and nothing will happen until the next “note on” is received. But if you unmute the audio track, it is heard immediately even if it’s in the middle of a note. Muting a MIDI track saves some CPU, but not muting Mix/Audio Channels. There are uses for both functionalities IMO.



Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 847
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Contact:

05 Jul 2018

selig wrote:
05 Jul 2018
It’s the same in Reason - you mute the mix channel in the mixer, and it’s muted in the rack.
Yes, but only those two are linked, because they're the same thing - tracks. If you solo an instrument in Sequencer and mute the channel in Rack/Mixer, then you won't hear a thing. This doesn't make sense! Or rather, logically it makes sense but that's not how most DAWs work, at least those I've used.

EDIT: I understand the difference and why it's very powerful (muting Sequencer mutes the MIDI clips, not the instrument). All I'm saying it's very unusual for a DAW and maybe there should be an option to "unify" the buttons indeed.
Reason 10 // Bitwig 2 // Live 10 // Studio One 4
My music: https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
PhutureD
Posts: 369
Joined: 04 Aug 2015
Contact:

05 Jul 2018

If anything I have 2 requests:

(1) Performance and speed improvements must be implemented urgently.
(2) scaling of vst gui, with window scrolling

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 6842
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

05 Jul 2018

antic604 wrote:
selig wrote:
05 Jul 2018
It’s the same in Reason - you mute the mix channel in the mixer, and it’s muted in the rack.
Yes, but only those two are linked, because they're the same thing - tracks. If you solo an instrument in Sequencer and mute the channel in Rack/Mixer, then you won't hear a thing. This doesn't make sense! Or rather, logically it makes sense but that's not how most DAWs work, at least those I've used.

EDIT: I understand the difference and why it's very powerful (muting Sequencer mutes the MIDI clips, not the instrument). All I'm saying it's very unusual for a DAW and maybe there should be an option to "unify" the buttons indeed.
To clarify (and get picky with semantics, please forgive me!), they are “channels”, not tracks. Sequencers and recorders have tracks, mixers have channels (this will make my next comments make more sense I hope).

Wish it were possible to “unify”, but it’s logically impossible to link these two unrelated (except by name) functions.

In the past when this subject as come up, it turns out what folks really want is to be able to mute/solo mixer channels (not tracks) in the sequencer. This is difficult but not impossible, because mixer channels do not appear in the sequencer by default!

So IMO it’s not about trying to link two unrelated functions, it’s about duplicating the mixer controls for Mute/Solo in the sequencer. This requires adding an additional sequencer track for every mixer channel, which will definitely clutter the UI unless they also allow show/hide (please!).



Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 847
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Contact:

05 Jul 2018

selig wrote:
05 Jul 2018
Wish it were possible, but it’s logically impossible to link these two unrelated (except by name) functions.
It's impossible only because you think of Reason as a virtual hardware studio, with its inherent logic dictated by separation of the devices and cables connecting them. But that's not how most DAWs work. After all it's "just" a software and I can imagine an option in Preferences "Link solo/mute buttons for Sequencer and Rack/Mixer" that would do just that - you solo in Sequencer, it gets soloed in Rack and Mixer, you mute in Rack, it gets muted in Sequencer as well.

As I said, I don't mind it NOW but a year ago it resulted in serious confusion as to WTF was happening and why wasn't stuff working the way I expected :D
Reason 10 // Bitwig 2 // Live 10 // Studio One 4
My music: https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 6842
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

05 Jul 2018

antic604 wrote:
05 Jul 2018
selig wrote:
05 Jul 2018
Wish it were possible, but it’s logically impossible to link these two unrelated (except by name) functions.
It's impossible only because you think of Reason as a virtual hardware studio, with its inherent logic dictated by separation of the devices and cables connecting them. But that's not how most DAWs work. After all it's "just" a software and I can imagine an option in Preferences "Link solo/mute buttons for Sequencer and Rack/Mixer" that would do just that - you solo in Sequencer, it gets soloed in Rack and Mixer, you mute in Rack, it gets muted in Sequencer as well.

As I said, I don't mind it NOW but a year ago it resulted in serious confusion as to WTF was happening and why wasn't stuff working the way I expected :D
I don't think of Reason in that way at all!
I'm really curious which DAWs you say link mute/solo on audio channels and MIDI tracks. I know Pro Tools and Logic don't do this - which ones are you talking about when you say "that's not how most DAWs work".

Again, this feature you suggest cannot work because there is not a one to one relationship between audio channels and sequencer tracks. It's not about being impossible because of how "I" think about it, it's about being impossible because of logic. And why would you want to solo or mute BOTH MIDI tracks and audio channels at the same time - it's redundant, right?
Selig Audio, LLC

madmacman
Posts: 392
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

05 Jul 2018

selig wrote:
05 Jul 2018
Again, this feature you suggest cannot work because there is not a one to one relationship between audio channels and sequencer tracks. It's not about being impossible because of how "I" think about it, it's about being impossible because of logic. And why would you want to solo or mute BOTH MIDI tracks and audio channels at the same time - it's redundant, right?
Then it should at least work for audio tracks - but it's the same irritating behavior. Sorry, but I fully agree with antic here: I don't care if it's Midi or Audio. And if Midi, how the "audio" (i.e. the Plugin Instrument audio output) is finally created. I've always seen each track (channel) as one long pipe. Starting from the sequencer row, then there's something which produces audio (either an audio clip or a plugin instrument) and finally a volume fader (along with some other crazy stuff which makes it a "mixer"). This is for me (and has been in my now 15 years of using DAW's) one and the same. It's just one pipe and at one end I put something in, at the other end I get something out. Simple as that! And of course a Solo/Mute in the seq lane is for me identical to the Solo/Mute in the mixer. Because it's the same pipe. And (to me) of course it's a 1:1 relationship. It has never been something else to me.

Sorry, need to calm down....

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 6842
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

05 Jul 2018

madmacman wrote:
selig wrote:
05 Jul 2018
Again, this feature you suggest cannot work because there is not a one to one relationship between audio channels and sequencer tracks. It's not about being impossible because of how "I" think about it, it's about being impossible because of logic. And why would you want to solo or mute BOTH MIDI tracks and audio channels at the same time - it's redundant, right?
Then it should at least work for audio tracks - but it's the same irritating behavior. Sorry, but I fully agree with antic here: I don't care if it's Midi or Audio. And if Midi, how the "audio" (i.e. the Plugin Instrument audio output) is finally created. I've always seen each track (channel) as one long pipe. Starting from the sequencer row, then there's something which produces audio (either an audio clip or a plugin instrument) and finally a volume fader (along with some other crazy stuff which makes it a "mixer"). This is for me (and has been in my now 15 years of using DAW's) one and the same. It's just one pipe and at one end I put something in, at the other end I get something out. Simple as that! And of course a Solo/Mute in the seq lane is for me identical to the Solo/Mute in the mixer. Because it's the same pipe. And (to me) of course it's a 1:1 relationship. It has never been something else to me.

Sorry, need to calm down....
I agree with both of you that it’s confusing, but I also know it’s not possible to simply link the two because there is not always “two” to link. Don’t know how to be more clear, maybe someone else can explain better than I have.

The problem with your concept is it is often NOT just one pipe! Sometimes one MIDI track can feed a ReDrum, which may in turn feed up to 10 Mix Channels. I know I sound like a broken record, but how do you link one to ten? Sometimes there is no MIDI track at all, like when you use Thor’s sequencer or a Matrix to play a synth or any of the new Players.

We agree what the problem is, just not what the solution can be!

It was always this way, btw - you could mute/solo tracks in the sequencer AND in the 14:2 mixer from Reason version 1.0 onwards. But I don’t remember hearing about this being a problem until the “big mixer” was added for some reason.

Again, the better fix is to add mute and solo buttons for all mixer channels in the Sequencer - fixed!

Or re-think the audio ecosystem (my vote) to get rid of the problem at the source rather than to hack a solution.


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

madmacman
Posts: 392
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

05 Jul 2018

selig wrote:
05 Jul 2018
The problem with your concept is it is often NOT just one pipe! Sometimes one MIDI track can feed a ReDrum, which may in turn feed up to 10 Mix Channels. I know I sound like a broken record, but how do you link one to ten? Sometimes there is no MIDI track at all, like when you use Thor’s sequencer or a Matrix to play a synth or any of the new Players.
Yeah, sorry again - should have taken a deep breath before.

I agree that single outs in the mixer are something which needs special "treatment". I could imagine an auto-group in the mixer or something similar. From my own history, I used simple approaches (such as GarageBand or Tracktion 1 & 2) for a long time and maybe this resulted in my "1:1 assignment" in my head. Would be glad if there would be some clever solution in Reason one day.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 471
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

05 Jul 2018

selig wrote:
05 Jul 2018
The problem with your concept is it is often NOT just one pipe! Sometimes one MIDI track can feed a ReDrum, which may in turn feed up to 10 Mix Channels. I know I sound like a broken record, but how do you link one to ten?
it doesn't sound like it should be that difficult a problem to fix, honestly. it sounds like it would simply be a matter of setting up a framework for those relationships. say you mute the one MIDI track for the instrument feeding all those mix channels...it would also mute all ten channels. if you mute all ten mix channels? mutes the MIDI channel. mute some, but not all channels? the MIDI channel stays unmuted in the sequencer, but maybe turns yellow instead of orange/red to tell you it's being partially muted.

sure, there are a lot of different scenarios and setups that would need to be considered, but it would seem these are the sorts of relationships that get built into just about any reasonably complicated software as a matter of course. I mean, if an average MS Access database user can set up complex relationships, a professional DAW developer ought to be able to do it without breaking much of a sweat.

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 847
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Contact:

05 Jul 2018

selig wrote:
05 Jul 2018
I'm really curious which DAWs you say link mute/solo on audio channels and MIDI tracks. I know Pro Tools and Logic don't do this - which ones are you talking about when you say "that's not how most DAWs work".
Live, Bitwig, Studio One - in all of them it's impossible to solo one track in the Sequencer and completely different instrument in the Mixer, whereas it's totally possible in Reason.

Again, as I said LOGICALLY it makes sense, but it's confusing to most users.
Reason 10 // Bitwig 2 // Live 10 // Studio One 4
My music: https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 6842
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

05 Jul 2018

antic604 wrote:
selig wrote:
05 Jul 2018
I'm really curious which DAWs you say link mute/solo on audio channels and MIDI tracks. I know Pro Tools and Logic don't do this - which ones are you talking about when you say "that's not how most DAWs work".
Live, Bitwig, Studio One - in all of them it's impossible to solo one track in the Sequencer and completely different instrument in the Mixer, whereas it's totally possible in Reason.

Again, as I said LOGICALLY it makes sense, but it's confusing to most users.
The problem is that none of the DAWs you mention allow mute/solo of MIDI data - only audio, right? So none of the DAWs you mention do what I asked, which is linking the mute/solo of MIDI data to audio channels because they don’t have support for mute/solo of MIDI data - please correct me if I’m wrong on this.

So in Reason, you need to ignore the mute/solo on the MIDI tracks, because I’m guessing they are NOT what you are looking for! ;)

And again, if the Props did what I suggested, which is to add mute/solo from the mixer in the sequencer, then problem solved: everything is “linked” (or rather, synced) as requested.


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 847
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Contact:

06 Jul 2018

selig wrote:
05 Jul 2018
The problem is that none of the DAWs you mention allow mute/solo of MIDI data - only audio, right? So none of the DAWs you mention do what I asked, which is linking the mute/solo of MIDI data to audio channels because they don’t have support for mute/solo of MIDI data - please correct me if I’m wrong on this.
No, you're not wrong - you can't mute just the MIDI or automation lanes like you can in Reason which is an awesome feature to have, one I didn't realised how useful it was using those other DAWs.

HOWEVER, where Reason confuses users coming from other DAWs is that Sequencer tracks have 2 sets: global M/S per Track and individual M per MIDI/automation lanes. Personally I expected that the global M/S per Track is just a remote for M/S buttons we have in Rack and Mixer (since those two were remotes of each other). That's it.

Sure, if one treats Sequencer as an individual device that sends CV gate, note and control signals to instruments & effects in the Rack and the Mixer then it all makes perfect sense. But - again - that's not how other DAWs conditioned their users to think about it. Maybe it would've been easier if Reason itself was more consistent in implementing their "virtual hardware studio" paradigm: why are there no CV note & gate cables going out from Mix Channels to instruments or players? why there's no tangible connection between Mix Channel's out and Master? Consistency is key to user's experience and him being able to understand the DWA and that's something that is sorely lacking in Reason in a lot of areas: why do I hear the notes sounding in piano roll when I move them somewhere else with the mouse, but not with keyboard? why can't I use some modifier key to extend or make the note shorter so that I don't have to reach for the mouse? why I can mute the clip but not a note? why Combinator can do some things that you can't normally (automate certain parameters, move the knobs/faders), but macro labels don't transfer to sequencer? if "old" Players were not needing CV outs, why do the new ones have them? or why have the old ones were not updated to include CV outs? And the list goes on...
Reason 10 // Bitwig 2 // Live 10 // Studio One 4
My music: https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests