What features are REALLY necessary for Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ahornberg

25 Jun 2018

antic604 wrote:
25 Jun 2018
ltbrunt00 wrote:
25 Jun 2018
1. Zooming in and out in the Track and sequencer windows with the scroll wheel on the mouse.
Have you tried this while holding CTRL key?
Using the mouse wheel with SHIFT + CTRL is my favourite way to zoom horizontally.
Mouse wheel with SHIFT scrolls horizontally.
Mouse wheel with CTRL zooms vertically.
Mouse wheel alone scrolls vertically.

Right mouse button on the horizontal scroll bar works like zooming/scrolling in Ableton Live.

w1pl0c

25 Jun 2018

Put complex curve tool in the tool window. Click and drag or copy/paste. Collapsable within tool window. Builds, Wave forms, Custom Waves. We can already stretch the clips to correct quantization and reverse. So no need to be redundant with tool window functions. :thumbs_up:

chaosroyale

25 Jun 2018

One thing that really bugs me, related to automation tracks.

Say you automate the pitch wheel (or mod wheel, same principle) with the pencil tool. Then you record a performance on the same track in a different part of the song via a midi keyboard, using the pitch wheel on your keyboard. Now you have TWO independent tracks for pitch bend that cannot be merged. It drives me crazy. Or, if you want to copy only the pitch bend data from your live play as automation for another track, nope, can't do it.

Put all the pitch bend onto a single automation lane that can be folded into the midi sequence and unfolded to copy / paste / draw when necessary.

antic604

25 Jun 2018

chaosroyale wrote:
25 Jun 2018
One thing that really bugs me, related to automation tracks.

Say you automate the pitch wheel (or mod wheel, same principle) with the pencil tool. Then you record a performance on the same track in a different part of the song via a midi keyboard, using the pitch wheel on your keyboard. Now you have TWO independent tracks for pitch bend that cannot be merged. It drives me crazy. Or, if you want to copy only the pitch bend data from your live play as automation for another track, nope, can't do it.

Put all the pitch bend onto a single automation lane that can be folded into the midi sequence and unfolded to copy / paste / draw when necessary.
Two ways around this:
- you can draw your automation in the MIDI clip, not in the automation lane, by clicking that tiny icon on the right hand side of the Edit window by adding part automation
- you can select automation that was recorded via pitch wheel (into the MIDI clip) and copy it to separate automation lane

drloop

25 Jun 2018

I want to save versions of a mix without having to save another 2GB file.

Ahornberg

25 Jun 2018

drloop wrote:
25 Jun 2018
yes, snapshots of mixes would be great

The_Grass

25 Jun 2018

That they still update 9.5 and not leave us.if you git not 11.

tc13

25 Jun 2018

The_Grass wrote:
25 Jun 2018
That doesn't make sense, I havn't heard of any obselete software being updated when there has been 1 (or as in the case of this thread) 2 new releases of the software.

EnochLight

26 Jun 2018

The_Grass wrote:
25 Jun 2018
9.5 was updated. It's called '10". :D :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

26 Jun 2018

drloop wrote:
25 Jun 2018
+∞ for this.
Been asking for this since "Record" was released…
Selig Audio, LLC

jayhosking

26 Jun 2018

This is a big one for me, too.

The_Grass

26 Jun 2018

Why must a update cost 90 Euro's?
They make it nice with some synth's and players, they are all combinator's in a New skin.

But I still love Reason but more then 9.5 With VST support that's enough for me.

( So If you got Reason 1 for about 150 Euro's and you are got all the updates then that should cost you to the last update about 960 Euro's that's Marketing)

But it's still My number onze Daw.

antic604

26 Jun 2018

The_Grass wrote:
26 Jun 2018
They make it nice with some synth's and players, they are all combinator's in a New skin.
You mean Europa or Grain are Combinators in new skin? Riiiiiiight... :lol:

The_Grass

26 Jun 2018

That's My Reason

Noplan
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2018

drloop wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Oh yes!

Creativemind

26 Jun 2018

The_Grass wrote:
26 Jun 2018

But I still love Reason but more then 9.5 With VST support that's enough for me.

( So If you got Reason 1 for about 150 Euro's and you are got all the updates then that should cost you to the last update about 960 Euro's that's Marketing)

But it's still My number onze Daw.
I do think the upgrades are steep myself. I paid £110 recently to go from 8.3 to 10.1 which kinda felt like it was worth it with 2 whole version updates and then some but for what you get per update, I think £75 is fair. £110 is like 37% of the total software from scratch price (nearly a third) but you're getting less than a 10th of the features aren't you.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

MannequinRaces

27 Jun 2018

1) Display for 4k and up monitors
2) Super Combinator (basically I want more CV ins in a combinator mostly for LFO purposes)
3) Updated SDK to allow for half rack units or eurorack size units with cabling on the front
4) Sequencer improvements
5) Audio editing improvements
6) A proper track Freeze
7) NO MORE NEW CONTENT (unless it relates to #3 or is a new super sampler) - workflow improvements only
8) Browser improvements

I'm drowning in effects and synths, Reason is chock full of excellent Propellerhead devices and the choice in the shop these days from RE developers is fantastic. There is literally something for everybody in there. Reason is long overdue for some TLC in the workflow department. From a marketing standpoint it might be a hard sell but for those of us who use it a lot we'd cough up the cash.

dezma

27 Jun 2018

• Samples drag n drop from reason browser into VST
I simply don't understand why they focus on new devices while basic functionality like this is not yet operational. It's like putting leather seats in a car missing the 4th wheel. No, I don't want to drag and drop from explorer.

I'm not upgrading until this is fixed.

PeterP

27 Jun 2018

1. Midi comp mode, or at least cycle record that automatically creates a new lane and mutes the last one.

2. Option to save audio files outside the project bundle file.

3. Folder tracks for both sequencer and mixer.
Last edited by PeterP on 27 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.

C//AZM

27 Jun 2018

dezma wrote:
27 Jun 2018
...It's like putting leather seats in a car missing the 4th wheel.

LIKE THIS :lol:
Attachments
3-WHEEL.jpg
3-WHEEL.jpg (41.57 KiB) Viewed 3678 times

selig
RE Developer

27 Jun 2018

PeterP wrote:
27 Jun 2018
1. Midi comp mode, or at least cycle record that automatically creates a new lane and mutes the last one.

2. Option to save audio files outside the project bundle file.

3. Folder tracks for both sequencer and mixer.
As for #2:
Reason can already export audio easily, so one can already save audio files outside the bundle file.

I wonder if when folks request this what they are really wanting is to save the SONG DATA outside the bundle? This would allow saving multiple versions of a song in progress, collaborate easier (updated song files are quicker to share if they don't contain the audio files), and importing/exporting song data between songs (for mixer setting exchange, etc).

Or is it really just the audio files you want access to?
Selig Audio, LLC

C//AZM

27 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
27 Jun 2018

Or is it really just the audio files you want access to?
YES! I do. I know It's easy to bounce channels, but not readily having access to an audiofile is odd as compared to other DAWs AFAIK. It's much quicker just grabbing an audio than it is bouncing it.
The ability to open a vocal track in another application like Melodyne, or something else, then save it and when you re-open Reason, it will be the altered audio.

In Reason's defense, I guess it's more tidy for the entire package to be in one file, but on the other hand I've been able to re-create sessions lots of times when the Protools session file was lost/corrupted but not the audio files

antic604

27 Jun 2018

C//AZM wrote:
27 Jun 2018
In Reason's defense, I guess it's more tidy for the entire package to be in one file, but on the other hand I've been able to re-create sessions lots of times when the Protools session file was lost/corrupted but not the audio files
If anything, it's a legacy development choice from the time Reason didn't have audio...

Although even then it would make sense to keep MIDI clips, automation clips and presets separately in a sub-folder, while main project file would only contain information on how those elements are arranged.

selig
RE Developer

27 Jun 2018

antic604 wrote:
C//AZM wrote:
27 Jun 2018
If anything, it's a legacy development choice from the time Reason didn't have audio...

Although even then it would make sense to keep MIDI clips, automation clips and presets separately in a sub-folder, while main project file would only contain information on how those elements are arranged.
I always assumed it was to keep things simple. Can’t tell you the number of times I’ve had to “rescue” new Pro Tools users who have audio files scattered all over the place back in the early days.
;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

C//AZM

27 Jun 2018

If I pan and route a Kong pad to an output, then change the sound, the pad should still be routed to that output.

also...- I'm sure this is on me but- I haven't figured out how to make one sound choke another as in closed HH will choke an open one.

• Information